Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 09:58 AM

9 posts, read 9,244 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Florida my entire life and I am about to move here with my girlfriend and her young child.

I'm looking around and starting to get confused with all the information that I am taking in, so I thought I'd just ask a few people who live in the area what their opinions might be on a few things.

1. In regards to weather:

I'm hearing a lot about the "rain", but it rains 50% of the time during 1/3 of the year here in Florida, so I'm not sure how much/little to be concerned about as to how it would affect average every day life.

Is it problematic at all and how do you feel about it living there (eg. is it super cold? Is it a light drizzle all day long or does it come and go throughout the day? Does it effect drving/commuting to a substantial degree?)?

Has Portland been hit frequently in the near past with heavy enough snow/ extreme cold to effect daily life? I can read statistics on the net (amounts seem low), but figuring out how people/business/government in an area cope with it is difficult without actual feedback.

2. In Florida, especially here in Orlando, everything is fake; we build on illusion that goes from giant structures looking like massive robots, to small world rides, right down to peoples personal behaviors.

I can't take that anymore. Do you feel that people in Portland are comfortable with themselves as a general rule, and aren't pushing out a version of themselves that's entirely false (Hipsters aside - they're everywhere and can be ignored)?

3. My girlfriend works in sales/hospitality, and is currently enjoying it. I hate to take her away from that, but if she comes here she'd like to find something suitable; currently she is working as sales coordinator to larger travel agencies via teleconference.

Can that type of work, or a variation of it, be found in Portland without taking years?

*I know that ones tough, but I'm asking for opinions, not cold facts. *

4. I'm someone that's had his hands in everything from Band Running national acts for production companies to training commercial drivers, to waiting tables at high volume and fine dining restaurants.

I am not too concerned with my job possibilities as a result, but I understand Portland can be divided up into neighborhoods with each having it's own personality, and I'd like to start renting in one that suits me .

I like a "college feel" to an area, with close proximity to outdoor activities or at least roadways that can get me there quickly, and low crime with little noise late on weeknights.

Trees and nice natural surroundings make me feel comfortable, so living next to high rises just wouldn't work.

I'm also a bit of a geek, and feel more comfortable standing in line with Dr. Who fans then sitting in a bar/meat market.

Taking that into account, what neighborhoods could you recommend with reasonable rents?

5. Is there anything you could specifically caution about or recommend to a transplant before he arrives?

Thank you all for your time in advance.

Last edited by Godfeast; 08-19-2013 at 10:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 10:57 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,046 times
There are so many neighborhoods in the Portland area that would work for you it would be hard to narrow it down with the facts you presented above. What you'll need to know is where you'll be working, what kind of commute you'd be ok with, public transport or not, and what you can afford.

It isn't the rain that bothers people as much as that it's overcast and/or gray a significant part of winter. The rain might be drizzle in the morning and none the rest of the day, or it can be pouring but for the most part it's just a light rain that is either part or all day. It's not gray 9 months of the year like people describe it, but if you work say 9-5 in an office building, it will seem like you never see the light of day for a long stretch. Whether the gray bothers you is an individual thing. It doesn't bug me at all and I prefer cool misty days. There are sun breaks here and there but generally it's pretty consistently wet and gray Nov-Jan and with October and the rest of spring varied. Summers are beautiful--which is generally July-Sept.

Lots of Dr. Who culture here.

One difference here is that even next to the high rises you'll see tons of trees in the distance. It's very green here even in the city. So while there are very dense woodsy neighborhoods, in general it's more green here than many other cities in almost all neighborhoods. I think you'll need to visit and drive around to truly know what you're looking for. Nature is easily accessible where ever you live pretty much.

You also didn't mention if you're ok in a suburb or if you want to be in the city itself. There's also what's considered "close-in" Portand and outer Portland.

In short, no one can really give you the info you need without having an idea of where you'll be working, etc.

Oh and the rain doesn't affect the commute much but if it snows, forget it. Portland doesn't get snow very often and when it does, it's light and doesn't stick around more than a day for the most part but the city shuts down because people cannot handle it. An inch of snow turns the freeways into a parking lot.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:43 AM

535 posts, read 967,047 times
Quote:
I've lived in Florida my entire life and I am about to move here with my girlfriend and her young child.
Curious........seems to be several moving here from Florida...........why?

Weather:
Rain: I did a brief stint at a college in Pensacola........rain, but totally different from Oregon. There it rained almost on cue at roughly the same time daily, thundered-down poured-stopped-dried up. Here, well you almost have to experience it. There have been so many adjectives of the rainy season it's like the number of names Eskimos have for snow.

Snow: It only takes a little to mess things up, especially traffic. Extreme cold-not really, but depends on location.

Fake: Depends on who you talk to. Native Oregonians tend to be a somewhat independent sort. I had neighbors who moved here from somewhere down south and they hated it here, said no one talked to them, people were rude, etc.........they eventually moved back down south.

Dr. Who: There is, or at least was, The TARDIS Room never been there The TARDIS Room - Dr. Who-themed bar - Thrillist Portland

Employment: Thankfully, I don't have to worry about that anymore. I hear the prospects aren't great, but that comes mainly from the news.

Cautions/Recommendations: Check out neighborhoods in person. I am amazed how nice even the worst areas can look online.

Last edited by Priscilla Martin; 08-19-2013 at 12:12 PM..

Old 08-19-2013, 12:39 PM

Thanks for the information you've given so far.

I'm used to short commutes (under 45 minutes), and likely I'll grab a job either at a local venue doing band running again or waiting tables right away.

I've driven and commuted on buses, so I'm okay with public transit as well, but being able to jump on my old ten speed and get around is a definitive bonus.

The feel of the place I live is more important to me than anything else; in Orlando I've lived all over, but felt most at home in the older homes just a few blocks from what could be called the downtown "proper neighborhoods" as it were; roughly a twenty minute walk downtown or 5 minute bike ride.

I like being able to walk short distances to a local pub or friendly place for a drink on occasion (read not a pick up joint), as well as, being within the same distance to small eclectic parks or whatnot to relax or read a book.

It sounds as though this might not narrow it down , but I guess you'd say I'm not a traditional "suburbs guy", even though I hate the feel of concrete jungles. It does sound like it might not be an issue from whats being said in any case.

What neighborhood is that bar near?

Old 08-19-2013, 12:43 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times
If you have jobs you better stay where you are. There is little to no demand for any of the trades and skills you presented here. They exist, but the in groups sure are not gonna share the work with a newcommer.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
If you have jobs you better stay where you are. There is little to no demand for any of the trades and skills you presented here. They exist, but the in groups sure are not gonna share the work with a newcommer.

Yeah, that's the same anywhere for any job I've ever worked.

I'm pretty good with getting to the right people and my job skill/experience speaks for itself.

Thanks for the warm welcome though. lol

Old 08-19-2013, 12:52 PM

192 posts, read 454,557 times
You seem to know what YOU want, but your girlfriend has a young child that will, I assume, be coming with you? It seems to me that the best area for this child should be the top concern, such as the school and family environment, support from other parents, etc. and not the proximity to bars. A job to support a child is kind of a big deal, too.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:57 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfeast View Post
Yeah, that's the same anywhere for any job I've ever worked.

I'm pretty good with getting to the right people and my job skills/experience speaks for itself.

Thanks for the warm welcome though. lol

It wasn't meant to be a warm welcome. Oregon is overrun with "Not me, I can always find a job" types. They have more or less wore out any warm welcome in these parts. But come ahead, I'm sure you will be the exception to the rule. The other hundred who posted here thought they were also.

Just your unwillingness to listen to those who know says a lot. Since you know it all without being here, tell us how it works out when you get here.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:49 PM

42 posts, read 113,460 times
There's nothing wrong with having a positive outlook.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:52 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,046 times
You might try looking in the Kerns or Buckman area. Buckman is a good school and both neighborhoods are very close to downtown, have good tranportation and are easy to bike from. But then again, there are about 20 other neighborhoods too that would fit your needs. None of the close in neighborhoods similar to what you describe are going to be cheap. Expect to pay a good $1000-$1400 for a entry level two bedroom (as in basic) apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: