Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 08:17 PM

535 posts, read 966,949 times

Advertisements

A motorist was mailed a picture of his car speeding through an automated radar post in Pendleton, Oregon. A $40 speeding ticket was included. Being cute, he sent the police department a picture of $40. The police responded with another mailed photo of handcuffs

Having a laugh - Oregon State Troopers, Good, Better, Best
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 12:06 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,069,474 times
Not to scare you or people, but I know in CA a friend was sent a ticket....while driving his friends truck. He didn't even know he ran a red, so fought it. They showed him the photo from the camera. And yes, that's how they knew to cite him, the driver, and not his friend, owner of the truck.

Yup, at least in CA they do photo recognition. So they may get you that way if they cite you.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:40 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Not to scare you or people, but I know in CA a friend was sent a ticket....while driving his friends truck. He didn't even know he ran a red, so fought it. They showed him the photo from the camera. And yes, that's how they knew to cite him, the driver, and not his friend, owner of the truck.

Yup, at least in CA they do photo recognition. So they may get you that way if they cite you.
Most of these tickets have a place on them that say "Provide Proof that you were not driving the vehicle at the time." with a nice little space to put in the name and address of the person who was driving the vehicle. I am willing to bet this is what happened, the owner of the truck just passed it on.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:55 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
If you haven't received the citation yet, how do you know the van took your photo?

I would say if they caught you, then they caught you, no excuses. You were speeding, pay the ticket. Hope they don't also add passing on the right to the list of charges.

As far as I know, the notices that they are taking photos of speeders are there simply to be polite and are not required by law. I don't see any notices on the cameras that take photos of people that run red lights, either.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:46 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,299,955 times
My wife was ticketed for 40 in a 20. I went to the courthouse to see if she could take a drivers ed class or something to reduce or erase the ticket. Beaverton doesn't have drivers ed, but I mentioned this was her first ever ticket and the nice woman reduced the fee by half.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:38 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
In my limited (one ticket ... and not a radar van) experience - if you show up in court, they'll more than halve it, anyway.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:48 AM
FSF

261 posts, read 312,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Most of these tickets have a place on them that say "Provide Proof that you were not driving the vehicle at the time." with a nice little space to put in the name and address of the person who was driving the vehicle. I am willing to bet this is what happened, the owner of the truck just passed it on.

I believe psichick may be right. I got a red light ticket a few years back in CA on a car that did not have front plates. I don't believe there were rear cameras as those pictures did not accompany the ticket I got so I presumed they did it based on photo recognition.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:53 AM

425 posts, read 1,257,084 times
I got a Photo Radar ticket while traveling along 43 going towards the Sellwood Bridge. I was going 32 in a 25 mile an hour work zone. I was in the process of slowing down towards the 25 miles an hour sign, but evidently not quick enough! :O) Since it was a construction zone it was double the normal fine. I saw the flashing and was hoping it was the car behind me! I didn't get a ticket for nearly 6 weeks, but then it came with my very clear picture. I paid the fine instantly, as I was guilty but got a refund about 6 weeks later for 1/2 the ticket. I was quite surprised but I guess because I had no other tickets registered in this state, (had one in NC, but I took a Defensive Driving Course online rather than pay that one), I got the refund. My insurance did not go up in fact, we just got our notice that it went down a bit.

Good luck!

Old 08-25-2013, 12:20 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSF View Post
............so I presumed they did it based on photo recognition.
Well, there you go. If you are going to drive around running lights and speeding, then wear a ski mask when you are driving.

Just hope there hasn't been a stick-up any place nearby so that the police aren't out looking for a driver wearing a ski mask. It would be a shame to dodge a speeding ticket and end up in jail for armed robbery instead.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:40 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSF View Post
I don't believe there were rear cameras as those pictures did not accompany the ticket I got so I presumed they did it based on photo recognition.
As someone who works in technology, I find it hard to believe. Photo recognition is still a few years off, most of it that happens on the web is based off of meta data buried in the file itself. It is not totally impossible, I'm a aware of a few Federal Government agencies doing such things but they still have such a high failure rate that it's useless without human intervention. In a place like LA where likely there are thousands of such tickets a day, you'd need a huge group of people to check every single one of these.

It just doesn't make sense when you can take a picture of the license plate and run it through a database in about half a second.

True facial recognition technology is only four or five years away, but right now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland