Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 06:16 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,351,983 times

Advertisements

Years ago I was the Manager at Jim's Anchorage at Franklin Blvd. on the U of O millrace (now Louie's Village). In the millrace behind the restaurant were a large school of what I thought were carp or KOI. It turned out they were indeed Goldfish released into the millrace by graduating students. It seems to be some kind of tradition. Anyway you can go to the South East corner of Louie's Village and they or their decedents still come every day for kitchen scraps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 01:36 AM

535 posts, read 968,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
I am starting to love Uwajimaya. My grandpa (mom's dad) and dad raised and showed koi. Grew up with a pond. I think I'll go check it out with a camera and send my mom pics. I think she'd love it. Or at least it may bring back some good memories.

I'm glad to hear koi can survive the NW. I'd love a pond one day. Gotta bookmark this thread.

Sorry I have nothing to really add to this thread. Just love koi and following it.
I haven't been there. Yet. It's on my list..........

Old 09-02-2013, 08:25 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,451,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post

I'm glad to hear koi can survive the NW. I'd love a pond one day. Gotta bookmark this thread.
Many many years ago one of my coworkers moved out to Beaverton from East side of Portland. They bought a house with a pond in the back that was over grown with algae and not well taken care of. About two years later they decided to get it cleaned up and filled in. As they were skimming the algae out in preparation of emptying it, they found that it had several koi living in it still.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Years ago I was the Manager at Jim's Anchorage at Franklin Blvd. on the U of O millrace (now Louie's Village). In the millrace behind the restaurant were a large school of what I thought were carp or KOI. It turned out they were indeed Goldfish released into the millrace by graduating students. It seems to be some kind of tradition. Anyway you can go to the South East corner of Louie's Village and they or their decedents still come every day for kitchen scraps.
P.S. I meant the Goldfish, not the Students or the Louie Family

Old 09-02-2013, 01:22 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,074,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Many many years ago one of my coworkers moved out to Beaverton from East side of Portland. They bought a house with a pond in the back that was over grown with algae and not well taken care of. About two years later they decided to get it cleaned up and filled in. As they were skimming the algae out in preparation of emptying it, they found that it had several koi living in it still.
Well, they are scavengers (aka bottom feeders). So, I'm not surprised. Well, surprised, but not. That is kinda cool. I hope they kept the koi.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:03 PM

535 posts, read 968,091 times
Do Koi have any predators around here? Raccoons? Herons? Feral cats?

Old 09-02-2013, 03:09 PM

222 posts, read 471,474 times
Years ago when I worked for PGE there was a place out in Dayton. I found their website so they must still be there. I don't remember the place looking this nice though.

Home

Old 09-02-2013, 03:50 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,944,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla Martin View Post
Yes, all of the above. Probably less so in the city but out here in the 'burbs your Koi pond essentially becomes a Racoon snack dispenser unless it is 5+ feet deep.

H

Old 09-02-2013, 03:58 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,944,870 times
Around 2001 I came through the PNW on a road trip with friends for the first time. On day two we visted the Japanese and Rose Gardens both. As it happens it was Koi feeding time at the Japanese Gardens and I will never forget the sight! The Brooklyn Botanic Gardens also had some impressive Koi in the pond in the Japanese Gardens. Algae was a perpetual problem in the pond and I had never known it not to be almost opaque so the Koi could only be seen when at the surface. The pond was drained during a multi-million dollar restoration and it was sealed and treated and re-opened to much acclaim in the early 2,000's. It was cloudy again within a couple of months.

H

Old 09-02-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla Martin View Post

Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland