Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 11:00 AM

30 posts, read 52,426 times

Advertisements

Hello, Portlanders.

Just moved here (loving it so far!). We have a nice water feature in our backyard that I'm looking to add 4-5 small koi. Nothing too fancy or exotic but I do want the ones with the long tail. Any good local places where I might be able to find some?

Thanks a bunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 02:37 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
I have a friend with Koi. I'll ask her where she gets them. If your pond isn't deep. Really deep, you will lose them to predators. Especially the long finned ones, they are slower. Really deep water also helps them winter over in the pond, otherwise you have to bring them indoors, even in Portland. FWIW.

H

Edit: also FWIW, I was wandering in the Hollywood area on Sandy Blvd. and there is a large aquarium supply store right on Sandy (~40th). They will either have, or know where you can get pond fish.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:38 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,807,721 times
I was out in Molalla recently (south of Portland) and found a woman who had really nice koi fish. She's not a retail store, just does it from her home. She had some really nice, healthy fish, and at reasonable prices. Sorry I don't know the name, but there is a sign if you are in the town.

Old 09-01-2013, 01:06 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I have a friend with Koi. I'll ask her where she gets them. If your pond isn't deep. Really deep, you will lose them to predators. Especially the long finned ones, they are slower. Really deep water also helps them winter over in the pond, otherwise you have to bring them indoors, even in Portland. FWIW.

H

Edit: also FWIW, I was wandering in the Hollywood area on Sandy Blvd. and there is a large aquarium supply store right on Sandy (~40th). They will either have, or know where you can get pond fish.
It's called the Wet Spot and they are very friendly and accommodating (my kid got an aquarium from them). Great store.

Old 09-01-2013, 01:22 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Go down to the pet store and buy 10 feeder goldfish in colors that appeal to you. Feed them the right food and they will be very large fish in a very short time.

Those are the same fish as "koi" and there is no reason to pay fancy prices unless you are going to get involved in showing your fish in competitions.

The last time I bought feeder fish, they were 10 for a dollar, but I suspect they will cost a bit more now. I bought them for a pond and they grew into 5-6 inch long fish in the first year and were some lovely colors.

Goldfish grow in proportion to the size of the body of water they are kept in. The bigger the water, the faster and bigger they will grow.

(Yes, I used to have show goldfish, where a small goldfish can cost thousands of dollars, so yes, I probably know more about goldfish that the average man on the street, including the clerk at the pet store)

Old 09-01-2013, 02:26 PM

535 posts, read 967,132 times
Default NW Koi Show Sept 28-29

You're in luck! The annual NW Koi Show is coming. This year it's at, forgive me if I spell this wrong, Uwajimaya’s 10500 SW Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy. Beaverton, OR 97005.

Show Schedule I copied this part;
In conjunction with the Festival of Japan put on by the Japan Society of Oregon. See hundreds of great koi. Wander the vendor booths and enjoy a koi hobby getaway.

http://http://uwajimaya.com/direction_beaverton.html

Old 09-01-2013, 04:28 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Go down to the pet store and buy 10 feeder goldfish in colors that appeal to you. Feed them the right food and they will be very large fish in a very short time.

Those are the same fish as "koi" and there is no reason to pay fancy prices unless you are going to get involved in showing your fish in competitions.

The last time I bought feeder fish, they were 10 for a dollar, but I suspect they will cost a bit more now. I bought them for a pond and they grew into 5-6 inch long fish in the first year and were some lovely colors.

Goldfish grow in proportion to the size of the body of water they are kept in. The bigger the water, the faster and bigger they will grow.

(Yes, I used to have show goldfish, where a small goldfish can cost thousands of dollars, so yes, I probably know more about goldfish that the average man on the street, including the clerk at the pet store)
I have come to realize that there is much more depth in this forum than first appears. You don't have to skimp on accuracy with these people. Koi are not goldfish. Same genus but different species. I also have raised fancy goldfish and, yes, people do put goldfish in their ponds, Even Fantails and Lionheads, but they are not Koi. And just as there are expensive show quality goldfish and less expensive ones there are also cheap Koi. Any kind of Koi is more suitable for a pond than any goldfish will ever be.

H

Old 09-01-2013, 05:34 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,070,465 times
I am starting to love Uwajimaya. My grandpa (mom's dad) and dad raised and showed koi. Grew up with a pond. I think I'll go check it out with a camera and send my mom pics. I think she'd love it. Or at least it may bring back some good memories.

I'm glad to hear koi can survive the NW. I'd love a pond one day. Gotta bookmark this thread.

Sorry I have nothing to really add to this thread. Just love koi and following it.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:04 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
KOI are Carp.

KOI is Japanese for Carp. Actually nishikigoi in Japan (literally meaning "brocaded carp").

Gold fish are also carp, bred from Prussian carp for their size and color about a thousand years ago. KOI on the other hand are just common carp.

Both are hardy and survive well under harsh conditions, and some goldfish will attain KOI size.

My Dad used to catch Carp in a deep hole off a little creek in Zone Ohio (Fulton County side). We ate them and they were OK but boney.

I mention Fulton County because zone is where four counties come together in North Central Ohio.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:08 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,709,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

In the late 90's I bought a fish tank and a bunch of 10 cent Goldfish. 7 of the Goldfish lasted 7 years and 4 of them lasted 10 years and oly die because of a electrical short in one the pumps. I was suprised a 10 cent Goldfish would even last that long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
I am starting to love Uwajimaya. My grandpa (mom's dad) and dad raised and showed koi. Grew up with a pond. I think I'll go check it out with a camera and send my mom pics. I think she'd love it. Or at least it may bring back some good memories.

I'm glad to hear koi can survive the NW. I'd love a pond one day. Gotta bookmark this thread.

Sorry I have nothing to really add to this thread. Just love koi and following it.
Uwajimaya is a great place to shop and there seems to always be an event going on. There last event was a big flop though. They had food cart round up and all but 2 ended up cancelling on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland