Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 08:55 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,756,502 times

Advertisements

This summer we moved from Portland to NC. And here in NC I was shocked to see Christmas decorations going up on November 1st. I'm not talking about the ones for sale at Fred Meyer or Target or such. But businesses started putting up exterior decorations on Nov 1. The big Christmas Tree lightings & Parades are this weekend, before Thanksgiving.

Am I loosing my memory or does Portland wait until Thanksgiving to put up Christmas decorations. Pioneer Square still lights their tree the day after Thanksgiving right? Or has the whole world gone crazy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 09:05 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
It's been creeping up year-by-year. This year I saw some Christmas stuff before I saw Halloween stuff. I think it's driven by the big chains and their sinking feeling that the economy is less than rock-solid and the longer the run-up for Christmas "sales" the better. (A sentiment I don't share.)

Sort of like presidential elections starting more than a year in advance, more-or-less. Pretty soon primaries are going to creep into December the year before.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:50 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,662,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post

Sort of like presidential elections starting more than a year in advance, more-or-less. Pretty soon primaries are going to creep into December the year before.
Last I heard, New Hampshire was thinking about doing just that! Primary NEXT MONTH!

Old 11-15-2007, 04:47 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
The malls on Long Island have had Christmas thingsa out since November 1st (the day after Halloween). When I was growing up, it was not until the day after Thanksgiving that these decorations were up. Of course, then there are the people who NEVER take their Christmas decorations down (some even have those huge moving snowglobes up all year ).

Old 11-16-2007, 08:46 AM

23 posts, read 157,898 times
Believe me when I tell you that this is not exclusive to Portland. The entire country has decided aparently that we had a bad year or something and need to have a 2 month long christmas to make everyone happy.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:20 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,087,779 times
I see Christmas stuff out in stores right after Labor Day. And yes, this year I noticed wreaths, etc., going up right after Halloween--skipping right over Thanksgiving.

Worse, have you noticed that "they" (whomever "they" are) have MOVED Thanksgiving Day from the last Thursday of the month to the second-to-last Thursday? Gives one more week of Christmas shopping season. It's just awful!

Old 11-16-2007, 03:35 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
yes, I thought that it was early. I never remembered Thanksgiving being on the same day as JFK's assassination. But, this year it is.

Old 11-16-2007, 05:49 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,260,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
I see Christmas stuff out in stores right after Labor Day. And yes, this year I noticed wreaths, etc., going up right after Halloween--skipping right over Thanksgiving.

Worse, have you noticed that "they" (whomever "they" are) have MOVED Thanksgiving Day from the last Thursday of the month to the second-to-last Thursday? Gives one more week of Christmas shopping season. It's just awful!
Thanksgiving is the 4th Thurs. in Nov. This year there's 5 Thursdays in Nov. Same law as always. The early date just happens periodically.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:13 AM

49 posts, read 233,537 times
The way it's going pretty soon you will start to see Christmas right after Easter. LOL

Old 11-18-2007, 09:49 PM

305 posts, read 1,610,038 times
Not all stores are doing it. I walked into Nordstrom this morning and they were not decorated and had a sign up saying that they would not be decorating until 11/23. I really appreciated that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: