Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 11:02 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,046 times

Advertisements

Here's the situation at PPS: Title VII - Indian Education - Portland Public Schools
Does Lincoln have any of the AP programs she mentioned? I'm not familiar with them....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 12:00 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
Students at Lincoln are all above average. Say I - self & daughter are graduates!

One advantage of Lincoln is the relationship with Portland State University which is walking distance. Your student may want to take advantage of that.

As you consider schools consider the availability of enrichment options, transportation.

Your student should consider activities such as speech & debate. The ability to make good presentation is important for engineers & scientists too.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:17 PM

222 posts, read 470,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
Finally, since we're Native American, does anyone have any advice for connecting up with community resources up there? I know here we have outstanding Indian Education departments in every school district, and extensive tribal programs/community events taking place all the time. I suspect that won't be the case in OR, though perhaps I'm wrong on that.

Thanks again!!!
I am Indian and an engineer. What are your son's career plans? USACE is in Portland. We ROCK!!
Portland District, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers

STEM Initiative - YouTube

The Siletz Indian Tribe has an office in Portland with access to many, if not all, Indian events.
Confederated Tribes of Siletz Indians - Office Information

The Bureau of Indian Affairs NW Regional Office is in Portland.
Indian Affairs | Northwest

If your son has an interest in medicine, OHSU, at one time anyway, offered full rides to Indians going into many fields, from physician, pharmacist, clinical laboratory scientist, nursing, dentistry.
Oregon Health and Science University (OHSU) - The Office of Minority Health - OMH

PSU has a Native American Student and Community Center.
Portland State Enrollment Management & Student Affairs: Diversity and Multicultural Student Services | History of the Native Center

Check this out:Oregon University System Native American Resource Guide http://www.ous.edu/sites/default/fil...August2011.pdf

Last edited by gonpostal; 09-04-2013 at 12:29 PM..

Old 09-04-2013, 12:31 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times
Grand Ronde imay not actually be the closest ...... Oregon Indian Tribes and Languages and WASHINGTON Indian tribes: BIA contact info, web links

Old 09-08-2013, 12:02 AM

7 posts, read 13,310 times
Thanks everyone for the great advice--so very helpful!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonpostal View Post
I am Indian and an engineer. What are your son's career plans? USACE is in Portland. We ROCK!!
Well, he has changed his mind a few times. At first, he wanted to work in designing assistive technology and artificial intelligence. Then he wanted to go into bioengineering looking at nanorobotic technology. Now he's into mechatronics. I expect he'll change again as he gets more exposed to the field.

That video was wonderful--thanks for sharing it. So far he hasn't really explored very much in civil engineering. Someone told me once there are more jobs available in that area than in mechanical engineering, but more people pursue ME than civil.

I've been checking out the links--that's exactly what I was looking for.

The place where I would be working is bounded by I5, hwy 217, and SW Pacific HWY (99W). It's in the middle of that triangle. I'm thinking that the western portion of Lake Oswego school district would be best--is that a pretty easy commute? Any areas to avoid/seek out? And is that area pretty much exclusively residential? Or is there retail/restaurant areas nearby?

Old 09-13-2013, 09:20 PM

192 posts, read 454,557 times
You may be interested in this: Native American Youth and Family Center It's not convenient to get to, but there does seem to be direct Trimet bus service, at least for the students.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:25 PM

192 posts, read 454,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
The place where I would be working is bounded by I5, hwy 217, and SW Pacific HWY (99W). It's in the middle of that triangle. I'm thinking that the western portion of Lake Oswego school district would be best--is that a pretty easy commute? Any areas to avoid/seek out? And is that area pretty much exclusively residential? Or is there retail/restaurant areas nearby?
From Lake Oswego High School to your job would probably be 10 minutes (?) without traffic. But that area really clogs up. HWY 99 in that area is almost all retail/food/commercial. There are two malls nearby (Bridgeport and Washington Square.) That area of Lake Oswego has grocery and some restaurants. You may be able to find the style of house you are looking for in the First Addition area of Lake Oswego, but whether it will be in budget is another thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland