Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2013, 10:58 PM
J24 J24 started this thread

448 posts, read 863,639 times

Advertisements

So come the end of November it'll mark my first year in Portland. With that comes the end of my lease, and with my roommate getting married this summer, I'm in need of a new place and would like some advice.

I currently work in southern Milwaukie, but I'm dating a girl in Vancouver near the 205/Mill Plain area, so I'd like to maybe find something that's a happy medium between the two. I don't mind a 20 minute commute, as that is what I was used to before I moved to Portland.

I'm just looking for a decent 1 bedroom place that's under $750/mo if possible. I'd like it to be in a somewhat nice neighborhood where I don't have to worry about my car getting broken into or damaged. Other than that, I'm pretty easy going on where it is as long as it isn't a craphole.

Any suggestions on specific apartment complexes or which areas to look? Though I've been in Portland for about 9 months now, I still don't exactly know where the boarders of the "nice" areas and the "not so nice" areas are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 09:15 PM
J24 J24 started this thread

448 posts, read 863,639 times
Nothing at all? I've been doing a lot of searching and I'm not finding much at all in my budget. I'm thinking I might have to up that by a couple hundred..

Old 09-08-2013, 09:33 PM
FSF

261 posts, read 312,127 times
There aren't too many secret listings that people here are going to know about, if any. The ones that are out there and available require a lot of pounding the pavement with no guarantee whatsoever of results. $750 for a decent one bedroom in most nice areas are going to be extremely difficult to come by to begin with if you want to be in Portland. As for protecting against car break-ins, unless you have a garage, you're going to risk that in almost all areas of the east side except maybe like Eastmoreland and a few other very limited areas that really don't have many apartments anyway. It may be more prevalent in some areas than in others but it's a risk that will be there.

I don't understand why you don't find a nice place in Milwaukee, ideally near downtown. Then your commute will be reasonably short. Vancouver is not THAT far if you work around rush hour. And the apartments should be less.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:45 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
I think I can honestly say that if people here who rented knew about a one bedroom apartment in a good neighborhood going for $750 they would be all on it for themselves. I know I would. I think you are going to have to add more than a couple hundred for the neighborhood you want in Portland.

The suburbs sound more to your needs. I second the suggestion of Milwaukie.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:16 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
Darn, I JUST rented out a cute vintage 800 Square foot one bedroom apartment in Hawthorn with easy Freeway Access to both Vancouver and Milwaukee for that price.

Just go to PadMapper.com and beat the streets in the neighborhoods you want. Part of the reason I didn't respond to your original post is I don't know of any good neighborhoods halfway between Vancouver and Milwaukee, and is only a twenty minute commute to Milwaukee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland