Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 10:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,069 times

Advertisements

My husband got a job in Beaverton and we'll be relocating very soon. I used to live in Beaverton for quite a few years, but was single and living a different life. We have 3 young kiddos and live more on the conservative side, but don't shove our beliefs down anyone's throats. We are more of a "Live and let live" type of folk. However, we like to attend a Protestant church and are looking for a community that is safe, family-oriented, and a good place to raise kiddos.

I'm not really sure what areas of Portland/Vancouver might be a good fit for us. My hubby is willing to commute if we find the right area. We live upper middle class right now in Cali and could swing that in Portland, if not a bit higher.

Any leads/ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure I've cast a wide net, so I would appreciate any input.

Cheers! She
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 10:31 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Work in Beaverton, live in Beaverton. No one here cares what your views are, as long as you don't try to convert anyone, or shove them down their throat.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:42 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
+ hamellr

Broaden your search N, S, W of Beaverton (no need to commute over the west hills).

Old 09-04-2013, 01:00 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Work in Beaverton, live in Beaverton. No one here cares what your views are, as long as you don't try to convert anyone, or shove them down their throat.
That is what I was thinking, there isn't really any political districts in the metro. Live where you like the most, preferably closer to work to cut down on your daily commute, politics should be an issue with this decision.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:12 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That is what I was thinking, there isn't really any political districts in the metro. Live where you like the most, preferably closer to work to cut down on your daily commute, politics should be an issue with this decision.
I think you meant to say 'politics shouldn't be an issue with this decision.'

Old 09-05-2013, 10:16 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
I think you meant to say 'politics shouldn't be an issue with this decision.'
Haha, that is correct, it should be shouldn't. The joy of using the internet on my phone.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:31 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,098 times
Don't focus on "conservative" areas, focus on the schools. When I did the research, I found the best schools were in the Lake Oswego SD and the West Linn-Wilsonville SD. Sounds like you can probably afford to live there.

You'll find most people have a "live and let live" attitude here, regardless of whether they are pot smokers or church goers (or pot-smoking church goers).

Old 09-05-2013, 03:39 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
I agree with jjpop on the areas that would best suit you. One proviso is that there aren't really any malls in that area. You'd have to travel to them (either east to Clackamas Town Center or west to Washington Square). But then, the areas where there are malls, aren't necessarily the most up-scale.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:59 PM

682 posts, read 1,579,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shebo View Post
My husband got a job in Beaverton and we'll be relocating very soon. I used to live in Beaverton for quite a few years, but was single and living a different life. We have 3 young kiddos and live more on the conservative side, but don't shove our beliefs down anyone's throats. We are more of a "Live and let live" type of folk. However, we like to attend a Protestant church and are looking for a community that is safe, family-oriented, and a good place to raise kiddos.

I'm not really sure what areas of Portland/Vancouver might be a good fit for us. My hubby is willing to commute if we find the right area. We live upper middle class right now in Cali and could swing that in Portland, if not a bit higher.

Any leads/ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure I've cast a wide net, so I would appreciate any input.

Cheers! She
Here are some good options based on your criteria, and proximity to Beaverton:

1. At or near the Bethany area (generally north of US 26, east of 185th, west of Murray Blvd)
2. Murray Hill/Progress Ridge/Bull Mountain area (generally within a 2-3 mile radius of the Progress Ridge and/or Murray Hill shopping center, near the intersection of Murray Road and Scholls Ferry Road)
3. Peterkort/West Hills/Forest Heights - north of 26, within 2-3 miles radius of St. Vincent's Hospital
4. City of Lake Oswego.

If you want to cast a bit wider net, you can look in many neighborhoods in the city of West Linn. There is also good/very good neighborhoods in Tigard, Tualatin, Sherwood, Hillsboro, and Wilsonville, and inner southwest Portland.

Beyond that, you might be getting out of your personal comfort zone, meaning any combination of excessive commute time or too Portlandia-ish for what you are looking for.

There are also plenty of churches on the westside that are Protestant, moderate to conservative, service-oriented, and evangelical-but-not-in-your-face-about-it.

Also, I agree with the above posters, there are plenty of libertarian-ish conservatives (i.e. "live and let live") and you'll be fine on that front.

Good luck on your search and welcome!

Old 09-07-2013, 09:29 AM

132 posts, read 230,700 times
I too am on the conservative side and transplanted from So Cal in 2007. I am not going to compare the two locations as they are completely day and night. There are so many great things about this area of the country and I still feel it is a fairly good place to raise a family, but things are changing. Traffic is getting to be a bear, so my suggestion is to live close to hubby work. That will save a lot of headache. I currently live in Damascus out in the East county, but I own a home in Hillsboro and lived there for many years. As with any city there are good areas and not so good areas. I would stay away from the downtown areas and live in the outskirts. I think the area of Bethany and up near St Vincent hospital is a good choice. Also Tannesborn area is a cute area near lots of shopping and close to zoo and Childrens Portland Museum and a great Hillsboro library that was just recently expanded. I actually homeschool my kids, so I dont have to think about schools, but I hear the schools in that area are good. Portland itself is very Liberal, but I do think prople dont judge too much if you are conservative. But downtown Portland can be eye opening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland