Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 10:25 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,624,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
It's time for another city to become the trendy hotspot everyone wants to move to......
And the sooner that happens, the better for everyone who lives here. Maybe it will start when Portlandia gets cancelled.

So which other city will take it's place? It can't be Reno because the TV series centered on Reno was decidedly un-glamorous. I vote Spokane... or Boise... maybe Anchorage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 10:30 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,897,466 times
Quote:
Portland's boom already happened.
Portland had a pretty good growth spurt in the last twenty years and has now reached a plateau.

Portland will just hold it's own for the next five or ten years and work on how to manage the growth it experienced.
It will still grow, slowly, but I really don't think we will see anything like growth we had during the last two decades.

Portland's "glory days" are fading......
It's time for another city to become the trendy hotspot everyone wants to move to......

BTW, Portland has never really wanted to be like Seattle.
If you're talking about an economic boom, I really hope it hasn't already happened.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:50 AM

414 posts, read 537,668 times
Quote:
Portland's boom already happened.
Portland had a pretty good growth spurt in the last twenty years and has now reached a plateau.

Portland will just hold it's own for the next five or ten years and work on how to manage the growth it experienced.
It will still grow, slowly, but I really don't think we will see anything like growth we had during the last two decades.

Portland's "glory days" are fading......

BTW, Portland has never really wanted to be like Seattle.
i dont agree
economically portland has always been weak for the last 20 yrs, the only boom that happened was people moving here, but job market-nah

Old 09-05-2013, 11:00 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,453,752 times
I have lived in NW Oregon for almost seven decades, and I can tell you that this region has always been kind of "economically weak" in some ways.

It's not really that weak, but it's not really that strong either.

Kind of in the middle.

Nothing new there.

Read through this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/orego...-go-wrong.html

It has some interesting comments about Oregon's business climate.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:53 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
I noticed a lot of growth while I was back in town, I think Portland is doing good with finally starting to rebound from the recession.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:07 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,543,661 times
It seems like the South Waterfront is finally gaining some new projects - a projected Fred Meyer and a Lovejoy Bakery will add some amenities to the neighborhood. I know that half-built area really suffered during the recession...

Old 09-05-2013, 12:11 PM

414 posts, read 537,668 times
Quote:
I have lived in NW Oregon for almost seven decades, and I can tell you that this region has always been kind of "economically weak" in some ways.

It's not really that weak, but it's not really that strong either.

Kind of in the middle.

Nothing new there.

Read through this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/orego...-go-wrong.html

It has some interesting comments about Oregon's business climate.
well yea, it was never really that robust
why is that tho? are oregon laws not business friendly? or portland is too earth thinking instead of business thinking?

Old 09-05-2013, 12:21 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,453,752 times
Did you bother to read the "Where did Oregon go wrong?" thread?

I think quite a few of your questions have already been answered there.

It's basically the same type of thread that you started here.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:25 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronkc View Post
well yea, it was never really that robust
why is that tho? are oregon laws not business friendly? or portland is too earth thinking instead of business thinking?
I would rather see Oregon be attractive to businesses that put the environment as on of the important factors with how they do business.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:33 PM

222 posts, read 470,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
So which other city will take it's place? It can't be Reno because the TV series centered on Reno was decidedly un-glamorous. I vote Spokane... or Boise... maybe Anchorage?
I know I'll get bashed, but Tri-Cities, Washington already is the fastest growing metro area in the country. And it's not just Hanford fueling it like The Boregonian suggests. They've recruited a variety of top industries. Coupled with affordable housing, excellent healthcare, well executed infrastructure and the lowest PNW COL for major players.........geez I sound like a commercial.

Sure, many will think no trees and Hanford make it uninhabitable.

Tri-Cities combine for nation's fastest-growing metro area, boosted by federal money to mop up Hanford | OregonLive.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland