Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 12:17 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,821,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turquoise1 View Post
There is a "camping rights" movement that aims to establish the entire city as an outdoor sleeping zone.

It is a conundrum, because while there is a severe lack of affordable housing (obviously a prime factor in homelessness) there appears to be a small segment of the population which claims an inability to live inside because of the "rules" involved.

The longer I live here, the more I think that the true Oregon spirit is that of an anarchist. But we are long past the era of the Wild West.
There is a severe lack of affordable housing across the country. However, many of the thousands of homeless everywhere would not be able to live in a structured setting (apartments, houses) due to mental health issues, drug issues, etc., and would need constant supervision in order to pay bills, keep the property clean, behave appropriately. These individuals need medical care on a regular basis and supervision to comply with taking meds, etc. It's a huge problem that goes far beyond providing housing. Some are homeless by choice and some are not, but many are incapable of taking care of themselves in an independent living setting. Many who are disabled could not hold a job on a regular basis. Others don't want a job.

I live in a large apartment complex with a full range of tenants, including grad students, families, professionals and retirees. One apartment was rented to a mentally disabled vet recently, who had not lived outside of his mother's home since returning from Iraq a few years ago. His first experience in an apartment was a disaster: he forgot to take his meds and subsequently nearly started a fire in his apartment and then proceeded to trash the apartment to the extent that a catastrophic cleaning company had to come and clean it up. He apologized, paid for the cleaning and didn't get evicted, but now creates problems with homeless individuals coming into his apartment who end up staying there. He is obviously lonely, but it's a very uncomfortable situation for everyone. If his mother wasn't paying all of his bills, he would be on the street. But he should be in a supervised living situation, not living independently, perhaps in a small halfway house where there is a live-in supervisor to manage the residents. It's a sad situation all around.

Camping outside in cities like Portland isn't the answer. It's unsafe for everyone, and creates huge problems for the other residents and businesses as well as the local government. And when services are provided in one city, it becomes a magnet for hundreds of other homeless. The police here in SE MI were literally driving homeless individuals here to this town that has a new homeless shelter, from surrounding cities and towns, making the problem worse here. Some cities are not dealing with the problem in a constructive way, it's easier to ship them elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 02:29 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,453,752 times
Quote:
Camping outside in cities like Portland isn't the answer.
It's happening more than you realize.
I was up above Estacada in the Mt Hood National Forest recently and ran across two rather large permanent (homeless?) campgrounds way back in the woods.
They were well off the beaten track and you would not know they were there unless you just happened on them, as I did.

Pretty scary, and in all my years in the woods around here I have never seen anything like it...
I won't go up in the "way back woods" anymore unless I have someone with me and we are both armed.

Oops, I thought it said "Camping outside cities like Portland". Missed the "in".
Anyways.....

Old 09-18-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
It's happening more than you realize.
I was up above Estacada in the Mt Hood National Forest recently and ran across two rather large permanent (homeless?) campgrounds way back in the woods.
They were well off the beaten track and you would not know they were there unless you just happened on them, as I did.

Pretty scary, and in all my years in the woods around here I have never seen anything like it...
I won't go up in the "way back woods" anymore unless I have someone with me and we are both armed.

Oops, I thought it said "Camping outside cities like Portland". Missed the "in".
Anyways.....
Wow! That is very scary! Camping inside or outside cities! Oregon's climate is more temperate than lots of other places, plus the large wooded areas near (and in) the city offer havens. Plus, Oregon and Portland have not taken a harsh stand against the homeless encampments, so they escalate. I don't have the answers, but it is certainly a complex problem.

I wonder if the high number of homeless in Portland and surrounding areas is affecting businesses and tourism. Do the homeless hassle people who are enjoying the outdoor cafes around Portland? That's something the city is known for, all those sidewalk cafes in neighborhoods. Can people enjoy their coffee and ipads, or are they hassled by panhandlers?

Old 09-18-2013, 05:13 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Wow! That is very scary! Camping inside or outside cities! Oregon's climate is more temperate than lots of other places, plus the large wooded areas near (and in) the city offer havens. Plus, Oregon and Portland have not taken a harsh stand against the homeless encampments, so they escalate. I don't have the answers, but it is certainly a complex problem.

I wonder if the high number of homeless in Portland and surrounding areas is affecting businesses and tourism. Do the homeless hassle people who are enjoying the outdoor cafes around Portland? That's something the city is known for, all those sidewalk cafes in neighborhoods. Can people enjoy their coffee and ipads, or are they hassled by panhandlers?
I have a question for you. If you go back and read your many previous posts, you will find you are being very repetitious in your questions almost word for word.

As an example, you have asked this question several times now. You have been given answers of varying opinions and experiences of people who have and have not been hassled. You have also been provided with links to other websites that contain information about the subject. I provided one in this thread in which a business person expressed concern about tourism he felt had been diminished because of this problem. Others have given different opinions.

As has been said, there are many questions and many answers. It has also been pointed out that there are many other cities, particularly on the West Coast that experiencing a homeless problem even greater than Portland's. Are you going to San Francisco's, Seattle's or Los Angeles' websites and asking the same questions about their homeless situation? Or are you planning to move to Portland and are concerned for your safety? Why Portland? Just curious.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I have a question for you. If you go back and read your many previous posts, you will find you are being very repetitious in your questions almost word for word.

As an example, you have asked this question several times now. You have been given answers of varying opinions and experiences of people who have and have not been hassled. You have also been provided with links to other websites that contain information about the subject. I provided one in this thread in which a business person expressed concern about tourism he felt had been diminished because of this problem. Others have given different opinions.

As has been said, there are many questions and many answers. It has also been pointed out that there are many other cities, particularly on the West Coast that experiencing a homeless problem even greater than Portland's. Are you going to San Francisco's, Seattle's or Los Angeles' websites and asking the same questions about their homeless situation? Or are you planning to move to Portland and are concerned for your safety? Why Portland? Just curious.
Apologize for any repetition. I never indicated that Portland's homeless problem is more or less than other cities' homeless problems (other than cities in the north), if you go back and read my posts you will see that. I said many times that it is a national problem. Maybe read more carefully before you post on this thread.

If you don't want to respond further to my posts on this topic, then don't. Others may want to respond, you do not have to. You represent one opinion about the city of Portland. At this point, I am interested in what others have to say.

My interest in Portland or any other city or issue on City Data is my business. Thank you.

Last edited by xz2y; 09-18-2013 at 07:42 PM..

Old 09-18-2013, 10:59 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Apologize for any repetition. I never indicated that Portland's homeless problem is more or less than other cities' homeless problems (other than cities in the north), if you go back and read my posts you will see that. I said many times that it is a national problem. Maybe read more carefully before you post on this thread.

If you don't want to respond further to my posts on this topic, then don't. Others may want to respond, you do not have to. You represent one opinion about the city of Portland. At this point, I am interested in what others have to say.

My interest in Portland or any other city or issue on City Data is my business. Thank you.
Well you still didn't answer why you repeat the same question multiple times regarding if Portland's homeless problems affects tourism even though you have received answers multiple times. But if you don't want to respond, that's your privilege. Maybe if you read more carefully, before you continue to repeatedly ask, you will see you will see people have already answered so you will not have to keep asking.

But I will not ask you again because obviously, for what ever inexplicable reason, you like to ask it. And I will not ask you again because I don't ask questions more than once.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:54 AM

584 posts, read 1,340,546 times
Default Look at this folks

Star Theater, downtown businesses continue struggle with homeless campers | OregonLive.com

Old 09-19-2013, 12:06 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,543,661 times
The article says that every year, the summer population continues to grow.

It's a very complicated issue - as others have said, there are a variety of different populations on the street. Some individuals and families have lost their jobs and homes, some veterans have no mental healthcare or financial support, and the bottom has fallen out of many sectors of our economy. I continue to believe that many of the people on the street are mentally ill. Maybe mental healthcare should be not only well-funded, but mandatory for everyone, both housed and homeless?

However, although a large part of the population is truly needy, there are also people who just see every passerby as an inexhaustible ATM. Today someone asked me for money "for a soda, not a beer, I promise." Why do you need my money for a soda? If you need money for clothing, for food, for shelter, these things I understand. But a Coca-Cola?

Old 09-19-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Well you still didn't answer why you repeat the same question multiple times regarding if Portland's homeless problems affects tourism even though you have received answers multiple times. But if you don't want to respond, that's your privilege. Maybe if you read more carefully, before you continue to repeatedly ask, you will see you will see people have already answered so you will not have to keep asking.

But I will not ask you again because obviously, for what ever inexplicable reason, you like to ask it. And I will not ask you again because I don't ask questions more than once.
What is your problem?
I said in my earlier post: I APOLOGIZE for any repetition. Perhaps YOU should read more carefully. I also said that it is my business (not anyone else's) why I participate in any forum on City Data, or why I ask any specific questions. I do not owe you any explanation. I am done responding to your posts on this topic.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:47 PM

Thanks for the good link and article. I had no idea how many homeless were staying on the sidewalks this summer in Portland. The photo definitely sums up the problem. The issues were well presented, and there are no easy answers, in Portland or elsewhere. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland