Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 10:54 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,411,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post

Me living in Portland now, I keep thinking, where would I go?
How about one of Oregon's 304 accessible Waterfalls?

One of the multitude of Oregon's Ghost Towns (shameless plug!

Roadside Attractions road trip? - And this list is woefully out of date. Weird Oregon has become a much better resource.

Wine Tasting at a couple of the over 300 wineries in Oregon?

How about hiking? William Sullivan has written five books covering five parts of Oregon, each with 100 Hiking Trails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 07:29 AM

3 posts, read 4,538 times
Thanks for the feedback. I am renting right now, so I do not have the 50% equity in a million dollar home so that I can move, and buy a house outright in Oregon for cheep and call it a day. One thing to remember is that when a homeowner leaves California, they are motivated to pick up as much house as possible due to capital gains tax.

As to how far the dollar goes, it can go farther depending on location. Food and gas for example are both priced regionally in "what the market will bear". California has additional fuel refining practices that prevents stations from sourcing fuel from out of state, because they (voters) want bragging rights to the cleanest burning gasoline in the country. That of course increases the cost of refining and is passed on to the consumer.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:58 PM

908 posts, read 1,656,737 times
what do you want to rent in Oregon / Portland? because if you rent an apartment or duplex, you will not be paying anything near $1500, more like $1000 tops for a 2 or even three bedroom that's pretty decent. Houses may go for $1500 avg, not apartments or plexes. a $1500 apartment or plex is a very rare thing, high end. so take that website that gave you the info, with a grain of salt.
The taxes that are high in Oregon are the real estate property taxes for the most part.

maybe you could rent an apartment or plex for a couple years to save up for a down payment to buy. you can get a pretty decent home for under $250,000. Check with realtors up here to see if you qualify for low down payments on home loans.

Last edited by 2bpurrfect; 09-23-2013 at 10:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland