Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 08:35 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,778,874 times

Advertisements

Sure we ain't Dallas but we're not Europe either. First of all, it's expensive! $2.50 each way no matter how short the distance! I am on disability and get to ride for free but if I wasn't it would be a huge tax on me.

Also the MAX is good if you want to go east or west but fails beyond that, and many of the bus routes have very long wait times for the next bus. The fact nothing really runs between 1-4AM also means if I go downtown late at night I usually have to walk 2 miles to get home.

Still probably beats driving in the traffic here though which gets worse every year it seems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 08:45 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
$2.50 is about standard for transit these days. MAX is great for a city like Portland. It takes a long time to build an extensive rail system and Portland has been moving in the right direction with this. The buses are good but could be much better. Also, Portland isn't anywhere close to being a 24hr city yet so if you want transportation between 1-4AM your best bet is gonna be a cab.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:55 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,461,659 times
Well you all have heard my rants about TriMet. I have ridden it for over thirty years since I do not drive and over those years I have watched the service deteriorate year after year. It's got a good PR system enough that people who do not need to depend upon it will tout it as "the best" and people from other cities believe it as well.

Compared to other cities that have less I suppose it's good but compared to cities with really good public transportation it isn't. And things are supposed to get better not worse. In a city like Portland there should be more than just 16% of the population that is able to say they depend solely on public transportation to get around. I don't think that is because they don't want to I believe that's because they can't.

Our bus routes have been and continue to be cut back with schedules becoming less and less frequent and they do not serve all neighborhoods. MAX is fine but it doesn't serve all neighborhoods and those it doesn't serve get left behind like the redheaded stepchild. TriMet needs new leadership. There is just too much arguing amongst the managers and union leaders while the Public gets less and less quality of service.

Regarding fares. Now that I am a senior citizen I get an "Honored Citizen" bus pass so I get a good deal. I can't judge the regular fares as compared to other cities.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:06 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,533,069 times
Let's get one thing straight, Europe loses money on mass transit and it is not as effective as people make it out to be. I know this first hand.

You can still drive someplace faster.

Auto Bild put a new (in 08) BMW M3 in a race vs the Deutsche Bahn system (rail) vs taxi/Augsburg Air Q400. From central Hamburg to Central Munchen.

Time wise The taxi/Augsburg Air Q400 came in first. Then M3 second and the DB rail/bus system DEAD last +1.3 hours on the M3's time.

Cost wise, the M3 was first even at 1.14/l and the M3 had an 80l tank. 91.20 eur ($119 usd) per fill up. The Augsburg Air Q400 was second, the train was the most expensive 211 EUR for an ICE econ class ticket.

Long story short. Mass transit is too expensive and too inconvenient. Get a $2000 car and save hundreds of dollars per year.

TriMet has a problem with ridership (numbers on routes, fare dodgers, people who qualify for free/discounted passes) already. They would just be throwing more taxpayer money away if they operated past midnight on weekdays.

Besides when your nice and toasty from drinking 2 miles take 4 or 5 minutes top... well it seems like it anyway. Adventure Time!

Old 09-24-2013, 11:28 PM

978 posts, read 1,089,203 times
the max is pretty weak, on the east side of the river it doesnt go far except to gresham, thats nice.

on the west side of the river its just suburbs and the line goes far out to hillsburo.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:40 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,149,892 times
You don't think Gresham is far? Sure, it's 5 miles closer than Hillsboro. But what's beyond it that needs MAX? And you do realize that one line goes to the Airport. One line goes to Clackamas. One line goes to Expo. Milwaukie is coming soon. Those are all on the east side, now aren't they? Yeah, I guess the east side is deficient. After all, that one line on the west side does go 5 miles further.

Here's my take on Portland transit. People who use and depend on it, think it's not good enough. They want the bus/MAX/streetcar to be here right now. People who don't use it, think it's a waste.

Yes, public transportation is expensive. Yes, it is still easier to drive somewhere than take public transport. What it's not easier to do, though, is find a place to park and actually arrive at your destination in less time. It's only quicker in terms of the actual transport itself. Why public transport, expensive though it may be, is necessary is because if all those people were in cars, on the street ... it wouldn't be quicker to drive it because of the congestion there would be. And there certainly wouldn't be anywhere for everyone to park when they get to where they're going.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:48 PM

978 posts, read 1,089,203 times
i ride the max to gresham some times and i think its long enough

i think i didnt type that well and you thought i was saying something els

Last edited by sorupaa; 09-25-2013 at 12:27 AM..

Old 09-25-2013, 12:54 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,461,659 times
My biggest gripe besides the mismanagement is that bus service continues to decline. I would like to see it as good as it used to be let's say maybe even a decade ago. I know things change but I don't see why this had to change for the worse.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:10 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,632,363 times
I like Tri-met. It's a good system and beats systems like MUNI anyday--the drivers aren't hateful and the system has good coverage for the size of the city. It's not perfect by far but it's a good system.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:19 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Well you all have heard my rants about TriMet. I have ridden it for over thirty years since I do not drive and over those years I have watched the service deteriorate year after year. It's got a good PR system enough that people who do not need to depend upon it will tout it as "the best" and people from other cities believe it as well.

Compared to other cities that have less I suppose it's good but compared to cities with really good public transportation it isn't. And things are supposed to get better not worse. In a city like Portland there should be more than just 16% of the population that is able to say they depend solely on public transportation to get around. I don't think that is because they don't want to I believe that's because they can't.

Our bus routes have been and continue to be cut back with schedules becoming less and less frequent and they do not serve all neighborhoods. MAX is fine but it doesn't serve all neighborhoods and those it doesn't serve get left behind like the redheaded stepchild. TriMet needs new leadership. There is just too much arguing amongst the managers and union leaders while the Public gets less and less quality of service.

Regarding fares. Now that I am a senior citizen I get an "Honored Citizen" bus pass so I get a good deal. I can't judge the regular fares as compared to other cities.
When you combine that 16% with people who walk, bike, carpool, and work at home it jumps up to about 25% which is really good for a city the size of Portland. Could it be better? Of course, but Portland has a great foundation to build on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland