Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 10:47 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,523,721 times

Advertisements

So I am 19 and I plan on moving to Portland after I graduate college because I am sick of the Suburbs. I want to know what is like living in Portland Oregon? Any members a life long resident? What do you enjoy or not enjoy about Portland Oregon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 11:10 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,256,579 times
Well if you are 21 when you get here it will be like unicorns and rainbows.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:45 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,458,548 times
Here's a fun thread that will give you an idea of day-to-day life:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/portl...bout-your.html

Old 09-27-2013, 12:00 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,461,514 times
Do you have a job?

Realistically though, unless you're living downtown, living "in" Portland is exactly like living in the suburbs. Only with a few less strip malls depending on where you end up.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:25 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,256,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Do you have a job?

Realistically though, unless you're living downtown, living "in" Portland is exactly like living in the suburbs. Only with a few less strip malls depending on where you end up.
I would extend it to beyond just downtown. There are a number of active inner city neighborhoods in Portland that are great for young people. Though, I will agree, the OP needs to make sure they have a job lined up or a really big trust fund to nurse off of.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:36 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,458,548 times
Quote:
Do you have a job?

I'm curious how many of the regular posters on this thread live in Portland and how many of us live in the 'burbs.

OP, I'm guessing you have a couple of years of school left before you move here. You might want to put out some feelers for the job market in your field and what growth potential it has in this area.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:33 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,501,605 times
Life long residents? Well I am not a life long resident but have lived in Portland since 1978. Do you really want to hear about what my life as a 67 year old woman is like in Portland? Or my 54 year old friend who was born and raised here?

Anyone's answer is going to depend not whether or not they have lived here all their lives but more on there age in order for you to get a feel of life in Portland that will be relevant to you. So you really want to hear from young people like yourself regardless of how long they have lived here. But you don't have to be 19 to know that with a good job, a twenty year old can have a lot of fun in Portland.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:32 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,461,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
I'm curious how many of the regular posters on this thread live in Portland and how many of us live in the 'burbs.
I've lived in (order) Downtown Gresham, SE 30th two blocks from Laurelhurst Park, NE Portland a block off of Burnside, two blocks off 82nd and Stark, right on the edge of Hillsboro and Aloha, and now in Central Beaverton.

The only difference I've felt between any of those places are distance to downtown, distance to the Coast or the Gorge, and the neighbors. All were older established neighborhoods dating from the 1950's to 1970's, roughly 15 minutes from a major freeway. My house in Beaverton has the same problems my house off of 82nd had. My apartment in Gresham has gone even more upscale, while the one I lived in Aloha has gone down hill a bit. All neighborhoods were close to strip malls of some sort, or even real malls (LLoyd Center and Mall 205.)

All those neighborhoods are experiencing infill, new buildings, or heavily remodeled buildings that now house boutique stores and restaurants. The Aloha/Hillsboro location was late to the game, but it's happening too. While Burnside is growing gangbusters with about four major new buildings/apartment bunkers going in.

I just feel like most of Portland is a suburb to itself. There are interesting pockets here and there, but there are also huge tracts of strip malls and chain restaurants just like the suburbs are supposed to have.

Old 09-28-2013, 02:09 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,165,886 times
I'm sort of a life-long resident. I grew up in Milwaukie, though we had a business in Portland ... so I spent most of my time from my teens on, in Portland. And eventually moved in my early 20s to the inner East Side.

The reason I moved was because of the commute, and my lifestyle (at the time). I lived a very busy life (taking classes, attending sporting events, cultural events ... was never much of a partier), and because of that didn't end up getting back to my home until, say, 11. It seemed like a waste, so I moved nearer to work, so I could actually spend a bit more time in my home, go home to eat, etc., before going back out.

Now that I'm older, and don't do all those things so much ... I still wouldn't move back to the 'burbs. I like the pace of the city, and the accessibility of things. If I had a young family, I'd probably prefer the 'burbs. But as a single, young person ... it'd be the city all the way.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:19 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,556,671 times
Quote:
I just feel like most of Portland is a suburb to itself. There are interesting pockets here and there, but there are also huge tracts of strip malls and chain restaurants just like the suburbs are supposed to have.
Sure there are places in inner Portland that resemble some older parts of the suburbs aesthetically. On the other hand though, for someone aged 18-25, socially the suburbs can feel a lot different. Especially if you just moved to the area. When I first moved to Portland I spent some time staying in Tigard and Beaverton and Hillsboro. If you don't go to high school there, things get boring rather fast. And if you want to see music or do any of the activities that actually draw young people to Portland, you're driving or looking for a ride unless you live close to the MAX.

The suburbs of Portland are fine for raising a family or as a tech worker in your late twenties or older, but for someone in college or just out of college like the OP you'll be bored stiff...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland