Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 09:58 PM

497 posts, read 482,036 times

Advertisements

I'm mainly looking in Beaverton, Hillsboro, Tigard, Sherwood and Tualatin. I'm currently living with family in Hillsboro and am looking to find a place for my fiance and myself. She has a large well behaved dog (Lab/bloodhound), and next to my budget the dog seems to be the biggest hurdle. Is sub $1000 reasonable? Or am I doomed to a dreaded apartment? I'm about two months away from making the move at this point. Any advice, resources, etc would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 11:10 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,907,490 times
i've seen "okay" ones in the 800-900 range (2bd) in beaverton. there just aren't many available and you have to move fast to get them. I usually look on padmapper/hotpads/craigslist.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:33 AM
(*)

57 posts, read 77,500 times
Hey FullArmor. Christiner81 is right, padmapper is a great resource. Another is Placebee: Oregon home, apartment rentals with Google Map View support. - Place Bee and a third is Walkscore: http://www.walkscore.com/

Old 10-03-2013, 11:19 AM

2,821 posts, read 3,525,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullArmor View Post
I'm mainly looking in Beaverton, Hillsboro, Tigard, Sherwood and Tualatin. I'm currently living with family in Hillsboro and am looking to find a place for my fiance and myself. She has a large well behaved dog (Lab/bloodhound), and next to my budget the dog seems to be the biggest hurdle. Is sub $1000 reasonable? Or am I doomed to a dreaded apartment? I'm about two months away from making the move at this point. Any advice, resources, etc would be greatly appreciated.
I am finding the same thing. Its so weird because Portland was voted a top 10 city for dogs, yet almost every single listing I find for an apartment or especially a home for rent says no dogs

Old 10-03-2013, 12:00 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,899,903 times
Craigslist has always worked for us. Our present house rental is definitely sub 800 and we have two cats, one of which is about as big as a small dog (not overweight either). I don't think our present landlord would have had any issue with dogs. A house that is managed by a property management firm may require deposits on dogs but they wouldn't necessarily ban them outright. We are in Hillsboro because we need MAX. If the o.p. does not require that kind of access then Cornelius and Forest Grove offer additional options for house rentals sub 1000.

H

Old 10-03-2013, 01:38 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,907,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
I am finding the same thing. Its so weird because Portland was voted a top 10 city for dogs, yet almost every single listing I find for an apartment or especially a home for rent says no dogs
this is very true and surprised me as well.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:48 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,376,800 times
Quote:
That could be because the ratings are including mostly homeowners or they are talking only about Portland proper where vacancies are at a very low 3% all over and even lower in some areas so landlords can choose to be picky and no pets is less hassle for them.

In the suburbs, where there are more rental units, it is a different story.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:00 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,525,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
That could be because the ratings are including mostly homeowners or they are talking only about Portland proper where vacancies are at a very low 3% all over and even lower in some areas so landlords can choose to be picky and no pets is less hassle for them.

In the suburbs, where there are more rental units, it is a different story.
I havent been looking in Portland proper. Ive been looking in Tigard, Beaverton and Hillsboro.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:43 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,376,800 times
Quote:
I havent been looking in Portland proper. Ive been looking in Tigard, Beaverton and Hillsboro.
Well, I guess they are no longer as lenient as they once were. Maybe because more people relocating who want to live in Portland are using them as alternatives and so they are filling up too. I guess it's a landlord's market and they prefer not to take a chance on renting to pets.

I sympathize because I am a pet owner too. I have always had a cat(s) and it hasn't always been easy to find rentals that would take them but I guess now it's tougher for any pets. Tigard apartment complexes was one place I had found to be very lenient but that was some years ago.

I do know of a couple of apartment buildings in my neighborhood in the city that will take dogs but there are no yards. Also a couple of duplexes nearby that do have yards but there are rarely any vacancies.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:23 PM

497 posts, read 482,036 times
Thanks for all the replies. Sorry I haven't been back on, working a lot of hours and completely forgot to check back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland