Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 12:27 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,499,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I never said Portland feels like NYC, I was simply referring to it as the same as New Jersey and NYC. Portland is the main city for the area and Vancouver is the city on the other side of the river in a different state. The feel has more to do with living on the outside.
I get what you're saying and you're completely right. I just wouldn't want the OP to think he could recreate Brooklyn in Portland because they are really different experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 05:23 PM

33 posts, read 68,470 times
Thanks enricoV for the info and links.

It's amazing how far off the rails reply chains can get so quickly. Folks, I wasn't asking at all for advice on living in Portland v Vancouver. That decision has been made a long while ago for a whole variety of factors not addressed here at all. That particular 1/3 of my questions was simply to gauge how bad the reverse commute would be. And, beyond that, I'm certainly not trying to recreate Brooklyn and was not seeking any advice on parallels to living in the New York metro area. But, I guess, thanks for any unsolicited advice on our living decision.

If anyone has any first hand experience reverse commuting to Vancouver, would love to hear it. Or, if you have any suggestions for kid & school resources, or great Portland neighbs for playgrounds, would love to hear them.

Old 10-05-2013, 05:30 PM

Ok, well the commute will be bad, around 45min-1hr each way most days if you live in NW Portland which is probably where you will want to live. You haven't answered where in Vancouver you will be working.

The public schools in Portland generally suck with a few exceptions. There are some excellent Montessori schools for younger kids. Catlin Gabel and Oregon Episcopal are considered the best private schools.

The "unsolicited" advice is because many of us have been in your position. Instead of being rude you might want to consider that we are trying to help. It is a public board and you don't get to perfectly choose your free advice.

Old 10-05-2013, 05:36 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACS_BKLYN View Post
If anyone has any first hand experience reverse commuting to Vancouver, would love to hear it. Or, if you have any suggestions for kid & school resources, or great Portland neighbs for playgrounds, would love to hear them.

I used to have to occasionally drive up to the Vancouver office of BPA when I worked there from where I live in SE Portland(near Mt. Tabor). For the most part the reverse commute isn't that bad. I mean it's really much better than other routes going to Vancouver in the morning and returning in the afternoon over I-5 or 205 over the Columbia.

However the issue can be that just getting to I-5 north or 205 can involve some traffic in the morning depending on where you live if you take the highway. You don't want to get stuck on I-84 going west in the morning trying to get to I-5 north. If you can live somewhere in SE or NE or N Portland to get I-5 or 205 north of I-84 just using surface streets you can avoid most traffic patterns. I'm not sure how 405 from NW Portland is to I-5 north in the mornings, when I used to drive that way it was usually okay, but I'm not sure today. Just realize that the major routes in Portland that get backed up in the morning are into downtown and towards Washington County(where Intel and Nike are).

NE Portland would be convienent for this commute if one didn't want to live in Vancouver itself--neighborhoods can vary a lot in NE Portland from trendy hip areas to expensive areas to fairly comfortable middle class neighborhoods to places that are slightly sketchy(though not that bad compared to other cities, but not that great for a young family).

Old 10-05-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post

NE Portland would be convienent for this commute if one didn't want to live in Vancouver itself--neighborhoods can vary a lot in NE Portland from trendy hip areas to expensive areas to fairly comfortable middle class neighborhoods to places that are slightly sketchy(though not that bad compared to other cities, but not that great for a young family).
Yep, but the schools in NE Portland are terrible and there aren't any really decent private schools. Maybe some preschools, I'm not certain. Judging by this person's post he will want to be in the West Hills near the good schools, if that's the case then the commute is rough.

Old 10-05-2013, 05:52 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
Yep, but the schools in NE Portland are terrible and there aren't any really decent private schools. Maybe some preschools, I'm not certain. Judging by this person's post he will want to be in the West Hills near the good schools, if that's the case then the commute is rough.
What about Beverly Clearly? That is a NE Portland grammar school and it is a very good one. So is Grant High.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:01 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
Alameda is a good public elementary school in NE Portland. Irvington as well might be a neighborhood the OP might like. Nice parks and playgrounds.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:05 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACS_BKLYN View Post
Thanks enricoV for the info and links.

It's amazing how far off the rails reply chains can get so quickly. Folks, I wasn't asking at all for advice on living in Portland v Vancouver. That decision has been made a long while ago for a whole variety of factors not addressed here at all. That particular 1/3 of my questions was simply to gauge how bad the reverse commute would be. And, beyond that, I'm certainly not trying to recreate Brooklyn and was not seeking any advice on parallels to living in the New York metro area. But, I guess, thanks for any unsolicited advice on our living decision.

Unfortunately, one thing you can always depend on around here is unsolicited advice.

I second the Wallace Park recommendation. I think it's one of the better, walkable, neighborhoods and a shorter (relatively speaking) commute. It's not cheap, though. Up around Chapman Park seems to be a great area, and Chapman Elementary is a well-regarded school.

The Alberta Arts District is also nice, and on the north part of town. I don't really know much about the schools that serve that area, though.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:20 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,531,261 times
I live in Milwaukie and work near Pierson Airpark near Fort Vancouver. The commute is fine as long as you leave early. I leave at 6:20AM every morning and make it to work by 6:50. If I leave at 8:00AM I don't get to work till 8:45. 99E (grand) through the east side is a mad house. So live north of there. Pearl or NW to Vancouver would be a good commute in the morning and bad in the afternoon mostly because of backup on 405. When I come home at 7PM freeways are clear south but still awful going north (I don't know how people can do it every day). At 3:30-5:30PM it's good up to the 405, but past there it's slow going. I average 45 mins going home at that time but it's taken an hour and a half a few times a month. If you have the option to adjust your work schedule, leave early. I work 4 12s, M-Th 7-7, it's just about ideal.

I'd live in NW if you can afford it, want the most urban experience possible.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:11 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,912,413 times
what is your housing budget? and how long do you want to be in a car for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland