Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 08:00 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times

Advertisements

There's no such thing as an unskewed study. They all are approaching it from one side or the other. And it's up to you (and everyone else) to decide whether the link meets your standard of reliability. Not me. I just provided the link.

And while I'm more than willing to believe that the person has an axe to grind, that doesn't mean the statistics are fabricated. It just means that there was an ulterior motive to compiling them.

As far as them being from press accounts ... I would think that that's going to under report numbers rather than exaggerate them. It usually takes something a bit extreme before the news reports things. All those simple dog bites likely wouldn't qualify for reporting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 09:18 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times
Let me say this as a fact.

I am a long time claims adjuster. When I did property claims (for about 12 years) I averaged about 6 calls a year that went pretty much like this: We were walking our pet pit bull to the park.... when he suddenly grabbed out 3 year old and started tearing at her. He's so sweet and loving... she now has 15 stitches and we wanted to know if our homeowner policy will cover it?

I always ask that now their pet has attacked their young child unprovoked, what have they done with the dog. The answer never varies- OH! We will NEVER part with Brutus!!! He's so sweet and gentle.....

Then I tell them that regrettable it isn't covered.Now, I am one of many many claims adjusters who serviced OR & WA and we all get these calls.

Like some other breeds, pit bulls are essentially unstable. Not all, of course, but many. And people who see them try and kill their kids and then defend them more so that they do their own kids tells me something.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:19 PM

469 posts, read 1,037,509 times
What's worse is that the owners often lack the financial means to take responsibility for the actions of their pets. Average dog bite settlement is about 30K. Your dog bites me; I will sue you in Superior Court, period.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:56 PM

98 posts, read 236,551 times
Yeah....this is Portland. It seems people here bring their dogs everywhere and anywhere. I'm getting tired of seeing dogs in grocery stores myself. Some people even put them right in the carts and push them around like children.

We saw a homeless looking person walking a pit bull around Fred Meyer and asked a cashier about it. She said they were not allowed to ask them to bring the dogs outside because 99% of the time, they claimed the dog was a "service" dog for anxiety. She said they had to pick up dog poop off the floor several times a day. GROSS!!!

The whole dog thing is out of control in this city.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:23 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Speaking of Pit Bulls, I saw one on the bus just yesterday. It was blocking the aisle and had nothing on it to indicate it was any type of service dog. I don't care what the breed, the owner should not have had it on board since it was not in a crate and there was no indication it was a service animal and was violating the rules.

Service dogs and their owners are both better behaved. The dogs always lie under the seats. Not only was it blocking the aisle but it was eyeballing me as I approached. I didn't know if that was good or bad but I wasn't going to pass by until the owner held it back which she finally did. Then she let it sit in the aisle again. Others who boarded the bus after me did the same thing I did. The owner continued to pull it back towards her only to allow them to pass but then allowed it to sit back right in the middle of the aisle.

That was just not the right thing for the owner to be doing.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:26 PM

466 posts, read 1,062,390 times
I am amazed about how people think about dogs on public transportation and what they assume. People are unpredictable, dogs are very predictable, but you have to understand their "language". I have a service dog I bring with me on the bus and I have mainly very positive reactions to her. I do see people sometimes that are a bit afraid, she is a labrador-mix and black, and I try to help them by my understanding the situation. I see other dogs so now and then and most of the time without any problems, but some are a bit loud (barking), but that isn't the dogs fault, but the owner never taught the dog how he/she should behave right. But you have the same with parents and little children on the bus. Can be quite an ordeal LOL. Do dogs bite without any reason? No! Do we (humans) do understand the reason all the time.... Of course not, most of the time we don't understand the reason why people do what they do either.
I am from Germany and animal on public transportation is allowed and normal, like it should be in my humble opinion. In 50 years I never saw one bad incident with a dog on public transportation.
But I love dogs and understand them far better and easier than people. And to be honest, I encounter quite a bit of people who reach down and want to pet my dog (even with her vest on) and she isn't digging it. She doesn't like to be touched by strangers, just like me :-) She doesn't bit though, she just moves out of there way. She is coping me LOL. I do the same. Maybe people should be more respectful for the space of a dog the same way they are respectful for the space of a person. Less incidents would happen, I promise. Respect goes a long way, people, in regard of your own species and of other species alike. Woof

Old 10-29-2013, 11:41 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
The problem is there isn't a whole lot of space on public transportation for a large dog. I have no fear of a large service dog on a bus. I know it will be well trained. But a large dog sitting in the middle of the aisle of a crowded bus with an owner who is taking up two seats both of them glowering at people as they walk by, well both of them make me nervous. This was the situation I recently encountered.

Perhaps German people are more polite and considerate of others. Actually the daughter of an American friend relocated to Germany about ten years ago and she has mentioned that. Unfortunately some people here bring their untrained dogs on the bus. I am afraid the dogs, if not trained to be in tight quarters with people stepping over them will become nervous and bite. I think that is one very good reason that dogs other than service dogs are not supposed to be on buses.

I would never, ever pet a service dog. I am surprised people do. I was always taught that is wrong.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:23 AM

5,461 posts, read 8,180,020 times
Ziggy Comic Strip, October 31, 2013 on GoComics.com

Old 11-21-2013, 01:04 PM

466 posts, read 1,062,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
The problem is there isn't a whole lot of space on public transportation for a large dog. I have no fear of a large service dog on a bus. I know it will be well trained. But a large dog sitting in the middle of the aisle of a crowded bus with an owner who is taking up two seats both of them glowering at people as they walk by, well both of them make me nervous. This was the situation I recently encountered.

Perhaps German people are more polite and considerate of others. Actually the daughter of an American friend relocated to Germany about ten years ago and she has mentioned that. Unfortunately some people here bring their untrained dogs on the bus. I am afraid the dogs, if not trained to be in tight quarters with people stepping over them will become nervous and bite. I think that is one very good reason that dogs other than service dogs are not supposed to be on buses.

I would never, ever pet a service dog. I am surprised people do. I was always taught that is wrong.
Yes, some people try to pet my service dogs, but most know they shouldn't and tell me so. People in Germany are not more polite or considerate of others, but they seem to have less of an issue with dogs in general, maybe because they were always allowed from public transportation and pubs and lots of shops (they are not allowed in groceries or restaurants though). But people in Germany seem to have the same issue with certain breeds, like pit bulls and sorts, just like here in the US. It's a shame really, because it is the owner that are really the problem.

Old 11-21-2013, 02:59 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Unfortunately human riders are not required to be trained and behave appropriately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland