Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2013, 11:30 AM

3 posts, read 3,002 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I am currently in the process of applying to chiropractic colleges. Out of all the locations I have decided between UWS in portland or NYCC in Seneca Falls, NY (between Rochester and Syracuse). I am from Rochester and currently in school in Syracuse. Obviously the work load is going to be a lot and a can't ski constantly. But I need my ski fix while I'm at school and am getting tired if making the same weekend Vermont trips to ski. What Is the ski culture in Portland and would it be worth it to make the move? My dream would be to have a chiro college in CO or VT but that's not the case.

My concerns are simply the regular rainy weather and the fact that I will know no one there since all my ski buddies live on the east coast or Denver. What do you guys think and how do you feel about the portland area for a person my age?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 12:34 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,024,224 times
You actually didn't mention your age but I'm guessing early-to-mid 20s - is that about right? Portland is a virtual magnet for people in that age group. The skiing around here is a lot closer than Vermont is to Syracuse, and it's year-round.

http://www.skioregon.org/
Oregon Ski Resorts | SkiCentral.com
Snow Sports | Travel Oregon

Old 11-06-2013, 02:27 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
Skiing is good(probably better than about anything on the East Coast), just not as good as a few other Western states with drier powder and larger resorts.

In just over an hour driving time from Portland you have three ski areas--and Timberline has the longest ski season in the US, while Mt. Hood Ski Bowl has the biggest night skiing opertaion--and Mt Hood Meadows is the closest thing to a bigger ski destination close to Portland. A little further drive and you've got a weekend at Mt. Bachelor, which is more like a resort in Colorado or Tahoe(great lift system, decent size, hotels nearby and so on)...

I've skiied since I was eight years old when I learned in the Canadian Rockies and lived in Tahoe for a few years in my teens, and I still have fun at Mt. Hood(though I'm trying to get more time to ski different areas like Mt. Bachelor or Crystal Mountain in Washington lately)... The snow can vary, but while it can be Cascade cement in the wetter storms, when we get a nice really cold front we can get some good drier snow higher up(you've just got to be flexibile with when you can go up)... Weather can be rough mid-winter, but spring skiing can be a lot of fun when the sun comes out and we've still got good snowpack. A lot of people ski up here(which is proven on winter weekends), and the proximity to Portland means that you get a lot of crowds occasionally, though spring and mid-week can feel virtually empty sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: