Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 04:14 AM

25 posts, read 53,128 times

Advertisements

I just bought tickets to come to Portland in March. I am so excited! My husband and I have been talking about moving to Portland for seven years. Five years ago we moved to Norway instead, but we have decided that in the next two years we will take the plunge and move to Portland.

It will be so strange to finally visit a place that has been so vivid in my mind for so long without ever having been there. I love the feeling of traveling to a place I consider moving to. All the sights, smells and experiences stick like glue. I picture myself in this new place, knowing the people at the coffee shop, biking to work, playing with the kids in the park. Someone on this forum mentioned that Portland might not have all the tourist attractions or the wow-factor, but that it grows on you over time. That's what I'm looking for. A good place to live.

If anyone has any suggestions on things we should do when we come, I would love some input. We are in our early thirties, we're both into the outdoors, but also love good music and a night out. I'm an artist/graphic designer and my husband is in the sporting goods industry. We've been looking into Sellwood as a possible place to settle down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2007, 11:42 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,575 times
Are you coming with or without kids?

Old 11-22-2007, 12:29 PM

we're actually leaving the young one in Minnesota with grandma this time.

Old 11-22-2007, 03:25 PM

26 posts, read 144,897 times
I agree with pdxsux. Why pick Portland? There are so many cities that dont have the problems of Portland. I think Bend and the Oregon coast are real nice.

Old 11-22-2007, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxsux View Post
There are lots of nice places in the U.S. Portland has been overhyped and is living off its reputation from 20 years ago. The area has completely changed mostly for the worse in the last 20 years. The lower standards of living and larger crowds have largely destroyed the advantages of living in Portland.
And what exactly was the reputation of 20 years ago? A small town that was 100% white with cheap housing?

Old 11-22-2007, 05:40 PM

I have to go watch the food but Trozeboom, I hope your trip goes well and you enjoy Portland. I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions and I'll give you some too later. I think you'll like it here coming from Europe.

Old 11-23-2007, 12:44 AM

Thank you for your input, both negative and positive. I am in the fortunate situation of being at a really good place where I'm at, so I won't leave Norway unless I know I'm moving to a better place. The gut feeling has to be there, and when you have kids, you really have to be sure before making a move like that. I am sure there are good and bad parts of Portland, just like any other city. I live in a smaller town now, and although I like that, I miss more diversity, culture and input. Maybe Portland is too small to handle of all the people who want to live there. But it does seem like it is one of the few cities in the world that attracts newcomers because of the local mentality and attitude towards life. And even if some of those ideas are based on a Portland that was twenty years ago - if most of the people moving to this city support the same beliefs, how can it be that bad?

Old 11-23-2007, 01:57 PM

865 posts, read 2,501,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
And what exactly was the reputation of 20 years ago? A small town that was 100% white with cheap housing?
I don't think that was stated or implied. Having lived in Portland that twenty years plus. The complaints - whether you agree with the tone of the post or not - were pretty accurate. It all is centered around over-crowding. It's hard to appreciate what Portland offers sometimes when you're dealing with inflated housing prices, high property taxes, bad freeway traffic, and huge crowds at your favorite outdoor getaways. Many things that people tout as being part of Portland's appeal have been changing for the worse.

Of course it is all relative. Compared to almost all big cities, Portland is great. If I had to choose a big city to live out the rest of my days, Portland would be it. But I grew up in small towns and went to college in a small town. I'm ready to get back to a smaller town with more defined seasons and more sunshine. I'm actually looking at Duluth, MN. I've been there twice for extended trips and it's truly beautiful, with just about all the same recreation opportunities as Portland. The winters are brutal, but that's pretty much what I grew up with. Here again, it's all relative. If you go to the MN forum you see a lot of longtime Duluth residents disparaging the changes they have seen over the years. They frequently complain about crime that is "out of control". Given their crime index is roughly half of Portland's, I always have to chuckle and say "What crime?"

Finally, the "100% white" comment was uncalled for. While there has been an influx of Hispanic and Southeast Asian populations over the years. In my experience, the African-American, Chinese, Japanese minority populations have been relatively stable in that time. Portland is not as diverse as most big cities, but has still always been more diverse than much of the nation.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:04 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,615,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trozeboom View Post
Thank you for your input, both negative and positive. I am in the fortunate situation of being at a really good place where I'm at, so I won't leave Norway unless I know I'm moving to a better place. The gut feeling has to be there, and when you have kids, you really have to be sure before making a move like that. I am sure there are good and bad parts of Portland, just like any other city. I live in a smaller town now, and although I like that, I miss more diversity, culture and input. Maybe Portland is too small to handle of all the people who want to live there. But it does seem like it is one of the few cities in the world that attracts newcomers because of the local mentality and attitude towards life. And even if some of those ideas are based on a Portland that was twenty years ago - if most of the people moving to this city support the same beliefs, how can it be that bad?
Hope you have a great trip. We love visiting this city and find it unique with some beautiful areas and views. Wonderful easy drives to some of the most spectacular areas in the country,(dont miss the coast or mountains) Judge for yourself and dont be swayed from a great "kid-less" trip by some sour -puss crabs.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:34 AM

1,457 posts, read 6,031,492 times
I'd ignore the negative comments, and just check it out.

We moved from the Portland area to rural southern Oregon, but I'd still like to live up near Portland.

In fact, I worked up there for a full week, just about a week ago.

Sure, property has risen, but not due to the Californians as one poster offered to peg-them with.

But, while in business since 1988, I met folks who moved from Canada, Florida, Idaho, etc..

So avoid hype, and just see what you think. Any area in rush-hour has short-cuts. If you don't know where they are, those routes exist and can be found.

As far as home prices, sure, they went up a lot, but the prices are less expensive than other areas.

There's a myriad of suburbs near Portand, and each one is different for what it offers, as well as cost.

Never forget, that if other areas of the country are cheaper to live in, there has to be a reason
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland