Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2013, 06:07 PM

19 posts, read 50,402 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
So I haven't been to Portland much (just moved to Hood River), but I do remember seeing a really cool stone building. I kept trying to remember WHERE in the world I saw it... starting wondering if I was just imagining I saw a house like that.

Anyways, on a whim, I Googled "stone house portland or" and I think I found it!
Stone Façade - Portland House | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I was suspecting it was in NW Portland, as the photo album says. Do you know where this place is? Is it a house, or a church or what? So pretty...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 06:38 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,531,964 times
You might be thinking of the recently demolished Canterbury castle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canterb...and,_Oregon%29

Those houses are all near the Japanese/rose test gardens, Arlington Heights.

The other group of extravagant early 1900s homes are on vista ave near the vista bridge.

Last edited by AndyAMG; 10-25-2013 at 07:11 PM..

Old 10-25-2013, 07:14 PM

Thanks, it wasn't the Canterbury Castle. Let me know if you ever remember more details.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:19 PM

Also, for some reason I was thinking it wasn't in a suburb... closer to shops/businesses.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:45 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,300,641 times
Perhaps one of the many old churches in the downtown area?

Old 10-26-2013, 12:30 PM

892 posts, read 1,593,103 times
It reminds me of a house that the Oregonian did a feature on. They often feature houses where the owners bought them slightly run down and then refurbish them.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:56 PM

170 posts, read 193,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasRaisedGal View Post
Hi there,
So I haven't been to Portland much (just moved to Hood River), but I do remember seeing a really cool stone building. I kept trying to remember WHERE in the world I saw it... starting wondering if I was just imagining I saw a house like that.

Anyways, on a whim, I Googled "stone house portland or" and I think I found it!
Stone Façade - Portland House | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I was suspecting it was in NW Portland, as the photo album says. Do you know where this place is? Is it a house, or a church or what? So pretty...
isn't this house on burnside between 52nd and 39th; i know i've seen it somewhere

Old 11-02-2013, 01:32 AM

908 posts, read 1,661,812 times
i'm sorry, i don't buy the op's reasons for wanting to know this address. i would not want to give info on the location of someone's home. this looks like a private residence and it isn't any of their business- or maybe it is their business, just not in favor of the current residents.
if you found it on someone's flicker, why don't you just contact them and ask them? is there a reason?

Old 11-23-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bpurrfect View Post
i'm sorry, i don't buy the op's reasons for wanting to know this address. i would not want to give info on the location of someone's home. this looks like a private residence and it isn't any of their business- or maybe it is their business, just not in favor of the current residents.
if you found it on someone's flicker, why don't you just contact them and ask them? is there a reason?
Yeah, it probably does look weird me asking. Especially online. Honestly, the reason is pretty silly - I just felt so inspired by that house. I guess it's the medieval lover in me. I could have sworn it was a B&B.

I did message the Flickr poster, no response so far.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:56 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
VintagePortland.com would be able to help locate the building much easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland