Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 05:14 PM

13 posts, read 17,514 times

Advertisements

So We are coming up.

Currently in Sparks Nevada and the wife has committed to a job in Oregon she is in the Nutritional Field and this is a good step in the right direction as OR has a more health conscience populace. We are looking at these two areas Beaverton and Tigard. Maybe other recomendations? Need some advice on some apartment complexes and eventually a house. We will be selling ours here and should have some equity to help get a nice place. Are there any nice duplexes or town homes in these areas? Probably just a decent apartment complex for starters.

Price range for an apartment would be 800-1000. We would stay there until finding a home.

Any other infos about these areas would be greatly appreciated.

Also how bad would a commute to Milwaukie be from these areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 07:25 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,624,606 times
Milwaukie is hard to get to from Beaverton/Tigard. It involves going across the Willamette, and the bridges are always a pinch point (take a look at Google Maps to see what I'm talking about). My guess is that a commute from Tigard (which would be closer than Beaverton) would be 45 minutes or so in rush hour traffic. Sometimes more depending on the day.

You may want to consider something on the east side of the Willamette. Why not Milwaukie itself? Or other close locations in Clackamas County such as Oregon City or Happy Valley.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:59 PM

13 posts, read 17,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
Milwaukie is hard to get to from Beaverton/Tigard. It involves going across the Willamette, and the bridges are always a pinch point (take a look at Google Maps to see what I'm talking about). My guess is that a commute from Tigard (which would be closer than Beaverton) would be 45 minutes or so in rush hour traffic. Sometimes more depending on the day.

You may want to consider something on the east side of the Willamette. Why not Milwaukie itself? Or other close locations in Clackamas County such as Oregon City or Happy Valley.
Thanks.

Her job will be commuting between 3 clinics in Beaverton, Tigard, and Hillsboro. I will be working in Milwaukie.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:01 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,300,350 times
I would look in this general area https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...38409&t=h&z=15 so your rush hour travel time is shorter and your wife 's will be in the opposite direction of normal rush hour.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwoody View Post
I would look in this general area https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...38409&t=h&z=15 so your rush hour travel time is shorter and your wife 's will be in the opposite direction of normal rush hour.
That is a good location, and will be particularly good when the Sellwood Bridge is completed. Hillsboro will be a tough commute from there though--hopefully she won't have to go there too often.

Also, I wonder about the affordability. Might be a little higher than the your price range, Reno, but definitely worth a look.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:11 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,070,047 times
Quote:
When I had to go to Milwaukie for a job interview, at around 8:30am, I was going against traffic from 5/217. It did, however, take me 40 minutes when I took the Sellwood bridge due to the construction traffic. When I went further north to the Ross Island (oh man, is that the next bridge north? sorry if it's not), I got there faster even though I had to travel further (~25 mins).

Is it really going with traffic? The majority of the traffic I saw was heading northbound on 99E (it was stopped), while I was heading southbound. I-5 was slow in places, but not stopped by any means.

I just wanted to clarify since I went there only twice, but it seemed like I'd be going against traffic. Oh, and one of the days, I left the area close to 4ish and traffic wasn't too bad either, but then, I went down I-5.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
When I had to go to Milwaukie for a job interview, at around 8:30am, I was going against traffic from 5/217. It did, however, take me 40 minutes when I took the Sellwood bridge due to the construction traffic. When I went further north to the Ross Island (oh man, is that the next bridge north? sorry if it's not), I got there faster even though I had to travel further (~25 mins).

Is it really going with traffic? The majority of the traffic I saw was heading northbound on 99E (it was stopped), while I was heading southbound. I-5 was slow in places, but not stopped by any means.

I just wanted to clarify since I went there only twice, but it seemed like I'd be going against traffic. Oh, and one of the days, I left the area close to 4ish and traffic wasn't too bad either, but then, I went down I-5.
I've been here for going on 5 years and I'm still trying to figure out the rush hour commute on I-5. There have been times I've had to go to Reed College in the morning (from the Tigard/Beaverton area) and I-5 was free and open, and then other times when it is clogged up. I think it's always safer to presume that it's going to be busy and plan accordingly.

And yes, the Ross Island Bridge is the next one north of the Sellwood That's the way I went: north on I-5, across the Ross Island Bridge, then south on McLoughlin Blvd.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:24 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,619,531 times
Ross Island Bridge is a good path to Milwaukie - only hitch is that the transfer from 26 on the west side to the bridge is clunky (and likely to get you lost the first time you try).

In addition to the area Sherwoody noted, if it's in your budget you could look at Goose Hollow/Southwest Hills.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:40 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
Quote:
You may want to consider something on the east side of the Willamette. Why not Milwaukie itself?
What a concept? Seems to me that if a person has to service 3 different worksites they are not an employee, they are a journeyman contractor. Not judging, but any "rules" about work/home locations go out the window. The agency that oversee's the contractor will no doubt be treating travel to the work-sites as part of the workday. Commute time becomes irrelevant, commute stress... since I don't know anything about the compensation, I can't even hazard a guess. But at least one of you should live close to work? No? At the moment I live close to work, but my better half does not. I make the meals and do the housework. If we both had commutes from hell it would destroy our finances pretty quickly as we would eat out to excess and be tempted to hire cleaning help or gripe at one another about the state of the house. FWIW.

H

Old 11-22-2013, 12:46 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,024,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
Ross Island Bridge is a good path to Milwaukie - only hitch is that the transfer from 26 on the west side to the bridge is clunky (and likely to get you lost the first time you try).
A better approach to the Ross Island Bridge is from the south, from Barbur Blvd., Capitol Hwy. or Beaverton-Hillsdale Hwy., which might be more convenient to Beaverton, Tigard, or southwest Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland