Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2008, 04:10 PM

8 posts, read 25,947 times

Advertisements

Did you not read? Cn1221 said "I created this post for people to say what they don't like about Portland." It makes no sense why people are getting so defensive about Portland when Cn1221 clearly stated the purpose for the thread...the negative side...

Old 09-27-2008, 06:40 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Montana View Post
Did you not read? Cn1221 said "I created this post for people to say what they don't like about Portland." It makes no sense why people are getting so defensive about Portland when Cn1221 clearly stated the purpose for the thread...the negative side...
I'm sure this isn't the first thread to stray from the original post ... especially after so many pages. And because the OP wanted negative posts doesn't mean that others aren't perfectly entitled to state opposing views.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:14 AM

20 posts, read 51,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
I'm sure this isn't the first thread to stray from the original post ... especially after so many pages. And because the OP wanted negative posts doesn't mean that others aren't perfectly entitled to state opposing views.
Agreed, plus just because somebody writes about the positives or negatives of any area doesn't mean he or she is necessarily 100% accurate. So I appreciate when somebody respectfully challenges somebody on something that they see differently.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:27 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,054,512 times
Opinions are never 100% accurate, especially those colored by strong emotions. People have different tolerances for negatives too. What might make some one terrified is nothing to some one who is used to New York or Detroit. It might be physical, pretty much nothing scares an old friend who's a 6'2" ex army ranger...but my other friend who's a 5' skinny vegan gets out of a situation at the first sign of anything hinky.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:22 PM

36 posts, read 126,285 times
Default Negative or Positive?

The main reason I write on this forum is to share my bad experiences so others will not inadvertently stumble into the same situations.
I would rather participate in a process of making life better here..if that is possible with all the uncontrolled growth.
Wouldn't you rather know about the corporate slumlords on SW 170th that tried to install cabinets and tear off balconies while tenants (including small children) live there?
Would you like to know about the dentist on TV Highway..who charges $81. for a new patient fee. My visit for cleaning and exam was $208. - almost double that of any other where I previously lived in California.
Would you like to know that downtown Portland is not a safe place to walk after dark? Those poor innocents also have brain damage from meth and alcohol use and they don't think the same way you do...if at all..they may be so out of it, they may start to pee on you at any moment?
Would you like to know that when the the drunks start coming out of the bars, the cops do almost nothing to keep them from driving drunk in most parts of town?
Would you like to know that illegals are taking jobs, exploiting social services and sending money to back to Mexico during one of our worst economic periods?
Would you like to know that the liberal ideas of Portland are often an excuse to act badly...get drunk, beat the wife and kids, live on the streets as a teenager, become a burden to other citizens, exploit newcomers, etc.?
Would you like to know that the ratty condo with a stupid price is actually only cosmetically changed and if you plug something into the wall, it falls out because the real electrical work has not been done?
Would you like to avoid hitting the guy on the bike, who is riding on a street that is too narrow and it's hard to see them on a dark rainy night?
If this is all a great experiment in the wild, wild west...fine. If everyone agrees and everyone is willing to pay the price..emotionally, spiritually and financially.
This is much more than merely complaining; it's about staying awake. So I really hope that you will work with me to change some of these things that really threaten the quality of life here.
There is no place to move from here; it's the end of the trail.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:03 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,514 times
Portland is so pretty though. lush and green.

But after reading the posts it appears to be full of Elitist snobs trying to keep people from moving to their state, but you wonder why there are no economic oppurtunities?

And all this whining of Californians ruining your state. Californians don't whine about all the people (american and foreigners) moving to their state

What makes Oregonians think they are above the mass migration process? Just ask Washington.

Last edited by Taboo2; 09-30-2008 at 12:22 PM..

Old 09-30-2008, 02:27 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,047,674 times
I guess this thread is mostly for people who thrive on negative posts. A place where people so unhappy can try to unhappy out each other....of course, thats just my opinion.
so many exaggerations. Its like the person who goes to a flower garden and only see's the bees. I know there are "bees" here, but its no epedemic.
and Taboo, its not everyone whining about Californians ruining Oregon. Its just a vocal few and it seems like more people want to listen to that, then the truth.
and ironically enough, my stepmom, born and raised in California, says she had to move here to Oregon because there were too many people "ruining HER state" Fortunatly for us, when she moved here, she fell in love with Oregon and says shes never had any issues w/people harrassing her for wheres she was born/raised. SO lucky us, we got her. My very dear friend too.
Most Oregonians DONT think they are above any mass migration process. Thats an old tired rumor kept up by either a small group of mean spirited people, or also, those who chose to believe it.
Come, see, experience, then make your own opinions. I bet you'll be pleasently surprised.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:36 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
I guess my biggest Portland negative is losing so many friends over the years to other cities because they could no longer afford to live here. Wages for many people don't seem to keep up with the cost of living. I am not blaming anyone; it just is. There don't seem to be as many employment opportunities here even in good times.
It's difficult to maintain friendships when your friends move away all the time. I see people move into my apartment building or neighborhood only to have to move a year later because they could not afford to stay. When I read about young people on this forum who want to move here thinking they can get work as a wait-person, sales-associate or any other low-paying jobs, I know they have a tough road ahead. These jobs are like gold with heavy competition. Sure some make it but so many don't.
There were four people less attending my landlord's annual August bar-b-que this year who were transplants last year but had to either move back home or on to other cities where jobs were easier to come by. Each year it is the same. Sometimes more sometimes less.
Taboo2 asks "why are there no economic opportunities?" I wish I knew. I have been laid off jobs because the companies either went out of business or relocated. Each time it was more and more difficult to find something else.
Maybe people living here are opposed to others moving here because of the competition for jobs. Maybe that's why they are hostile to transplants. It's not the "elitist snobs" who are against the transplants but also the "poor slobs" who see each each new transplantee as competition in the already tight job market.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:09 AM

536 posts, read 2,154,380 times
The only negatives, in my opinion:

Im used to rich African American/Latino communities so I miss that here.
I don't like my gas pumped, especially when im in hurry.
I swear Portland has got to have the most homeless people per capita, it's ridiculous how much im pestered for change, even in front of my own house.

Portland is a beautiful city, I love this state.... don't get me wrong.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:29 AM

865 posts, read 2,501,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss60 View Post
The main reason I write on this forum is to share my bad experiences so others will not inadvertently stumble into the same situations.
I would rather participate in a process of making life better here..if that is possible with all the uncontrolled growth.
Wouldn't you rather know about the corporate slumlords on SW 170th that tried to install cabinets and tear off balconies while tenants (including small children) live there?
Would you like to know about the dentist on TV Highway..who charges $81. for a new patient fee. My visit for cleaning and exam was $208. - almost double that of any other where I previously lived in California.
Would you like to know that downtown Portland is not a safe place to walk after dark? Those poor innocents also have brain damage from meth and alcohol use and they don't think the same way you do...if at all..they may be so out of it, they may start to pee on you at any moment?
Would you like to know that when the the drunks start coming out of the bars, the cops do almost nothing to keep them from driving drunk in most parts of town?
Would you like to know that illegals are taking jobs, exploiting social services and sending money to back to Mexico during one of our worst economic periods?
Would you like to know that the liberal ideas of Portland are often an excuse to act badly...get drunk, beat the wife and kids, live on the streets as a teenager, become a burden to other citizens, exploit newcomers, etc.?
Would you like to know that the ratty condo with a stupid price is actually only cosmetically changed and if you plug something into the wall, it falls out because the real electrical work has not been done?
Would you like to avoid hitting the guy on the bike, who is riding on a street that is too narrow and it's hard to see them on a dark rainy night?
If this is all a great experiment in the wild, wild west...fine. If everyone agrees and everyone is willing to pay the price..emotionally, spiritually and financially.
This is much more than merely complaining; it's about staying awake. So I really hope that you will work with me to change some of these things that really threaten the quality of life here.
There is no place to move from here; it's the end of the trail.
Sure, people would like to know about the negative side of the city. And people would generally like to make an effort to improve their community. But that has to start with an honest assessment that keeps things in perspective. Your post, while citing some specific examples of your experience, paints a negative picture of Portland with broad sweeping strokes. I've been as negative on Portland as most, but I also try to keep it in perspective.

I'd like out of Portland for my own reasons - poor job market, a hipster/trendiness over running much of the city, bad traffic - but I know they are my own reasons. I know the trendiness is powering redevelopment in run down areas, but it also makes it more expensive and removes the "soul" of places. I know the traffic is better than most cities, but I guess I'd prefer a smaller town where there is basically no traffic (The rush hour in one location I am interested in was jokingly referred to by a local man as a "rush twenty minutes").

You make downtown sound like a pit, but downtown Portland is cleaner than any major city I've been too. I've never been afraid to walk downtown at any time of day (or night). And while there are alot of panhandlers, they are in areas that can generally be avoided and have never been aggressive with me. I've experienced far worse from panhandlers and being approached by prostitutes in San Fran.

Just offer some perspective with all your negatives; even if it is just to say "These are my experiences". I've lived in Portland for over twenty years and have never the experiences you describe. Liberalism is an excuse to "Get drunk, beat the wife and kids"? Come on - get real!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland