Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 09:47 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,071,120 times

Advertisements

I gave in and bought a puffy jacket. But now the question is, do they make puffy pants, puffy gloves, puffy hats, puffy face masks? Because I am freezing when I take my dog out. He seems to enjoy it, so he likes to sniff around. I need to acclimate faster.

Low of 19 tonight. Yikes. I don't think I've ever seen temps in the 20's, much less the teens. Double yikes.

Can I have the rain back? The clouds seem to keep it a bit warmer.

Last edited by psichick; 12-04-2013 at 09:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 10:16 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
I remember when I lived in Chicago bundling up and going outside when the weather was in the twenties after it had been warmer and snow was on the ground. The sun shining on it was so bright you had to wear sunglasses. Anyone who has ever been on the mountain knows what I mean. I always found this cold, dry weather very invigorating. It wasn't for staying outside for hours of course. A good half hour to forty five minute walk and then back in the house for some hot chocolate was enough to get the blood going.

Kids especially had fun and it was free. Snow people, animals, forts and snowball fights were all over the neighborhood and the material, thoughtfully supplied by mother nature, was free. I felt sorry when I heard that kids growing up in California never got the chance at all of this.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I felt sorry when I heard that kids growing up in California never got the chance at all of this.
Don't worry about CA kids. We played out in the rain, sprinklers, at the beach, or the snow/mountains. We may not go out on our front lawn for it, but we can have it all too.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:48 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,909,219 times
PsiChick- try wearing long johns made do silk under your jeans or get some base layers from Patagonia or Omni heat base layers from Columbia. Trust me... if you layer for the weather you will feel great outside. Get as much sun now as possible.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
PsiChick- try wearing long johns made do silk under your jeans or get some base layers from Patagonia or Omni heat base layers from Columbia. Trust me... if you layer for the weather you will feel great outside. Get as much sun now as possible.
Oh trust me, I'm layered. I may have to buy a pair of thicker long johns though. Right now, I have a pair of lightweight Icebreakers. It helps, but I'm still cold, even indoors. The one thing I'm noticing about the Omni heat, is that if I'm not warm to begin with, it doesn't warm up whatever I'm wearing. The fabric stays cold. Boo.

I've been buying base layers as things go on sale, but I'm still cold. LOL. I just need to acclimate. I had barely gotten used to 40's, when it dropped to the 20's.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:40 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Can I have the rain back? The clouds seem to keep it a bit warmer.
They do. It's one of the reasons that it rarely snows (in my inexpert opinion). I'm sure there's some meteorological reason, but it's like the clouds insulate things and keep the temperatures higher. When it gets below freezing, the skies are usually clear. So ... no snow.

I'd imagine it'll probably take a year or two to really acclimate, unfortunately. It's the reverse of, when we spent winter vacations in Hawaii. We were all running around boiling, while the residents of the island were putting on sweaters because they were cold.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:09 AM

240 posts, read 483,298 times
Rob, I agree with you; although the clear skies look lovely out the window, this biting cold is a bit much. Give me milder temperatures with grey skies and rain, too.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:32 AM

416 posts, read 871,635 times
Bah. I moved here from California for a reason: I like rain and gray.

But I'll take just cold. Better than California's practical year around sun. God, that was enough to make me want to blow my brains out.

If I never go back to California, it'll be too soon...

Old 12-05-2013, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
They do. It's one of the reasons that it rarely snows (in my inexpert opinion). I'm sure there's some meteorological reason, but it's like the clouds insulate things and keep the temperatures higher. When it gets below freezing, the skies are usually clear. So ... no snow.

I'd imagine it'll probably take a year or two to really acclimate, unfortunately. It's the reverse of, when we spent winter vacations in Hawaii. We were all running around boiling, while the residents of the island were putting on sweaters because they were cold.
Hey, makes sense to me.

That will be me when I go to CA for New Years. The weather is predicted to be in the 60's. I am going to roast. My mom is from Hawaii and likes the house to be a warm 78. I am going to have to sleep with the window open.

2 years? No no. I can't wait that long. On the upside, I'm used to 40 already. It's this taking my dog out when my thermometer says it's 28. Ugh! I'm just grateful he's enjoying it.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:15 AM

159 posts, read 409,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I remember when I lived in Chicago bundling up and going outside when the weather was in the twenties after it had been warmer and snow was on the ground. The sun shining on it was so bright you had to wear sunglasses. Anyone who has ever been on the mountain knows what I mean. I always found this cold, dry weather very invigorating. It wasn't for staying outside for hours of course. A good half hour to forty five minute walk and then back in the house for some hot chocolate was enough to get the blood going.

Kids especially had fun and it was free. Snow people, animals, forts and snowball fights were all over the neighborhood and the material, thoughtfully supplied by mother nature, was free. I felt sorry when I heard that kids growing up in California never got the chance at all of this.

I'll be in Chicago for three weeks over Christmas and the New Years. My family is already telling me to bundle up before I touch down in the city. I'm already preparing because Chicago is an ice box this time of year. The weather here in Portland this week is kind of reminding me of Chicago, but it just doesn't feel as cold as Chicago, even when it drops down into the 20's. Perhaps Chicago's wind chill factor has something to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: