Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2013, 11:34 AM

10 posts, read 11,739 times

Advertisements

I am from LA, CA. I'm looking to move to the Pacific NW, but used to live in Midwest as well. Getting a little weary of the endless sunshine, the dry and dreary weather. The dust, traffic, grey concrete and sparse brown landscapes aren't helping either.

There are other factors, however most important thing is of course, jobs. I'm a developer by trade (.NET to be specific). So I want to know...

How would you compare these 2 cities in terms of availability of IT employment, especially .NET / Web Development?

I noticed that most job in the greater Seattle is dominated by a few larger, older companies. There is a lot less young, small to mid-sized companies up there than in CA. Personally given the choice I prefer working for new, smaller to mid sized companies with more personal touch than a larger one.

Which city puts more emphasis on good balance between work life? As much as I like small companies, the days of me working in a startup might be well over. I want to spend more time with my wife and enjoy the little pleasures life has to offer.

I'm also unsure about the supply vs. demand of IT personnel. At first glance Seattle seems to have the lion share of IT jobs. However that doesn't tell the whole story as I know nothing about the market saturation especially for .net related jobs. If anyone has any experience about it, do tell.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 08:27 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
Seattle is the better place for .Net developers. Portland is more about Open Source by far, while Seattle leans on Microsoft products.

If you know Ruby, Java or IOS, you could get a job tomorrow in either city. Small company wise there are just as many in either city. Seattle ones tend to get bought out slightly faster, while Portland ones seem like they are able to last longer. Portland has a lot more people working out of their basements then Seattle does.

In my experience work life balance is probably slightly skewed towards the worker in Portland more then Seattle. But compared to the East Coast, it's an entirely different culture. Unless you work in the game industry as QA, in which case you have no life.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:09 AM

10 posts, read 11,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Seattle is the better place for .Net developers. Portland is more about Open Source by far, while Seattle leans on Microsoft products.

If you know Ruby, Java or IOS, you could get a job tomorrow in either city. Small company wise there are just as many in either city. Seattle ones tend to get bought out slightly faster, while Portland ones seem like they are able to last longer. Portland has a lot more people working out of their basements then Seattle does.

In my experience work life balance is probably slightly skewed towards the worker in Portland more then Seattle. But compared to the East Coast, it's an entirely different culture. Unless you work in the game industry as QA, in which case you have no life.
You might be right.

Thanks for the heads up. Haha yeah I wouldn't want to be working in the game industry atm.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:04 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,024,224 times
We need .NET developers right now. It's a larger company, located on the south side of downtown Portland.

Click on my name to send a Direct Message for details.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland