Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2014, 06:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,496 times

Advertisements

Is it a bad idea to send this to a property management company/potential landlord? I need advice!

----------------------------------------------
Hello,

Me, My girlfriend, and our cat are looking to relocate from Florida to Portland this month. We just put in our two weeks notice at our jobs and do not have jobs yet in Portland.

We want to get a one bedroom apartment but I need to know some things before we apply for any of your rental units.

1. We will be searching for employment as soon as we move there, but since we don't have jobs in Portland yet can we pay several months rent in advance to get us an apartment? We have enough savings to do so.

2. Can I be the only name on the lease and she just be a roommate? I have great credit but she does not. While I have just been approved on a rental application she was rejected for another apartment because of outstanding debt. Does she have to fill out an application too even though we know she will be denied?

If not, can you offer any advice?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

We were just rejected for basically all of the above, how are we supposed to move there and get jobs if we have no home!!!!!!????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 06:16 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,342,398 times
So, did you read through ANY of this forum before you gave your notice? If you had, you would know that it is both a tight job AND rental market. Why would anyone rent to you when there are 10 other better qualified applicants standing in line in front of you?

And because of the landlord/tenant laws here, your girlfriend has to qualify as she will be equally liable for the rent.

Perhaps you need to beg for your old jobs back and concentrate on getting your girlfriends credit in better shape.
AND, get a job before you move here.

Read through the forum!!!

Old 01-14-2014, 11:08 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,601,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
So, did you read through ANY of this forum before you gave your notice? If you had, you would know that it is both a tight job AND rental market. Why would anyone rent to you when there are 10 other better qualified applicants standing in line in front of you?

And because of the landlord/tenant laws here, your girlfriend has to qualify as she will be equally liable for the rent.

Perhaps you need to beg for your old jobs back and concentrate on getting your girlfriends credit in better shape.
AND, get a job before you move here.

Read through the forum!!!
It's not quite that simple. If he were a millionaire, a rental agency is going to approve them regardless of her credit because he can show sufficient current assets to bear the lease term. And you would say 'well, of course', right?

The lack of current income and the poor credit of one party won't hold you back if you're really talking about sufficient assets. But what's 'sufficient' in the OP's mind might be quite different than the rental agent's.

Say you have 6k in the bank - once you make your deposits and first-month's rent, you're probably down to 4k. They're going to assume some expense for other items, like, you now, food. So that's probably only 1-2 more months of reliable rent. In which case, as sayulita said, you're a pretty big gamble in a market that's current quite favorable to landlords, and likely to be passed over.

If you have 50k saved up, you're a much better gamble despite the lack of current income and the credit record.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:33 PM

537 posts, read 1,238,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverman5 View Post
Is it a bad idea to send this to a property management company/potential landlord? I need advice!

----------------------------------------------
Hello,

Me, My girlfriend, and our cat are looking to relocate from Florida to Portland this month. We just put in our two weeks notice at our jobs and do not have jobs yet in Portland.

We want to get a one bedroom apartment but I need to know some things before we apply for any of your rental units.

1. We will be searching for employment as soon as we move there, but since we don't have jobs in Portland yet can we pay several months rent in advance to get us an apartment? We have enough savings to do so.

2. Can I be the only name on the lease and she just be a roommate? I have great credit but she does not. While I have just been approved on a rental application she was rejected for another apartment because of outstanding debt. Does she have to fill out an application too even though we know she will be denied?

If not, can you offer any advice?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

We were just rejected for basically all of the above, how are we supposed to move there and get jobs if we have no home!!!!!!????????
I think it's a bad idea to move somewhere without at least one of the two lined up before moving. There are places that will accept your letter and rent to you, but it won't be in a desirable location and will likely be further out.

In addition to not having jobs, you are also currently not in Portland. Rentals in Portland go at a very fast rate, and you really need to be here in order to see the place. I had the same problem when I tried to move, and I came with a job. Without one, I'm sure it would have been a lot harder.

I would recommend renting a room on airbnb. With a cat, it shouldn't be a big deal if they're well behaved and stay in the room. Most people are welcoming and willing to rent up to a month or two. I did it for a month, and that helped me find my own place. I have also found people who are cat friendly, so that should be very easy to find. If you can find a place like that for a month or two, find a job, and then get an apartment, you'd be set.

Along with airbnb, look at Craigslist for room rentals or even sublets. A lot of folks aren't into renting to others from out of town, but you might luck out with someone willing.

Also, anyone over the age of eighteen must fill out an application. As long as her name isn't on the lease, she should be fine.

Please send me a private message if you need any help looking for an apartment or even jobs. I'd be happy to help.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:24 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,376,800 times
What you are doing is against the law. Period. Every person in a legitimate rental is legally obligated to have their name on a lease. A legitimate landlord and certainly a management company will require you to have the girlfriend's name on the lease. Operations like airbnb in which people rent rooms in their own private homes operate outside the law. As a tenant you are not protected by the Landlord Tenant Ordinance. If you don't have a lease with them which they don't often require so if you use those services and something happens, you can't squawk about it. Trust me, I saw enough of these in small claims court when I worked at the Multnomah County Court House to know what I am talking about.

But that will probably be the only way you will be able to go. Just so you know. Caveat Emptor.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:09 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,293,324 times
In Oregon you must both be listed as tenants. Why would anyone in their right mind quit their jobs and move where they have no income, or shelter? Now for the good news. There are places that will rent to you. In fact they will rent to anyone. No questions asked. By the day, week, or hour even. But I doubt you will want to live there. And the letter you are sending just screams reject me please..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: