Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 08:41 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by payaza2000 View Post
How much money would one realistically need to keep themselves going for a few months (getting licensed, finding work) in a moderate to low income area of Portland where I could expect to get mugged but not murdered.
About $2000. But then the only part of town you can "expect" to get mugged is MAYBE ChinaTown. And you're likely not low income enough to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 10:00 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
About $2000. But then the only part of town you can "expect" to get mugged is MAYBE ChinaTown. And you're likely not low income enough to live there.
Agree on the mugging, though think you're a bit low on the money. Even renting a room you're talking about $400-600 a month, and then add food, car, etc. on that. I'd only come that far with that little if the OP were willing to couch surf and had connections to do so.

Personally I'd say at least 5k to give yourself a 3-4 month cushion.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:24 AM

15 posts, read 18,916 times
Quote:
How much money would one realistically need to keep themselves going for a few months (getting licensed, finding work) in a moderate to low income area of Portland where I could expect to get mugged but not murdered.
Where are the moderate areas? I'm moving to Portland in a couple of months from LA, and so far everything I've seen costs a couple of hundred dollars more than what I pay for rent here. It has me all kinds of frustrated.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:25 PM

14 posts, read 30,484 times
I was wondering if some local residents of Portland could shed light on another issue. I have heard and read that Portland is undergoing a lot of gentrification, read an article about Trader Joe's pulling out of a neighborhood because residents opposed it for fears of gentrification.

Now I have no problem with rejuvenating a neighborhood, block, or city by attracting wealthier residents or businesses.

But living in DC area I can attest to the ills of gentrification. You can't live in the city unless your working for a lobbying firm or a higher paying position with federal government, or risk your life living in SE. And we have all heard horror stories of NYC, Manhattan is a playground for the ultra-rich and much of the rest of the city is unaffordable.

Is gentrification a problem that people see as ongoing in Portland ? Will it be a Mini-NYC in a few years, $1,700 for a 700 square ft studio? Or is there opposition to growth, that will price current and prospective residents out of the area ? I know this is bit ironic, you know since I said am interested in Real Estate, and lower home prices lead to bad commissions.

Regards,
Shawn.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
Agree on the mugging, though think you're a bit low on the money. Even renting a room you're talking about $400-600 a month, and then add food, car, etc. on that. I'd only come that far with that little if the OP were willing to couch surf and had connections to do so.

Personally I'd say at least 5k to give yourself a 3-4 month cushion.
I was meaning $2000 for just living in Chinatown. You could do it, but I wouldn't want to unless I was used to sleeping through anything and didn't mind a high chance of bed bugs or extra needles under the bed.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:

Is gentrification a problem that people see as ongoing in Portland ?
"Gentrification" is happening everywhere, not just Portland. It's a problem if you're affected by it, but it's a good thing if you're benefiting from it.

Personally I believe it's just another symptom of the growing wealth disparity in the United States. But really, the biggest problem with it is how do you stop it if is a problem? It's a natural economic situation and a byproduct of capitalism. Short of making rich people live next to poor people so that the neighborhood's income is averaged out, how can I, normal joe off the street stop it? Should I refuse to shop, live, eat in those neighborhoods being affected by it? Will that even make a difference? Are we better off having high segregated modern ghettos based on economy instead of race?

Old 02-05-2014, 02:18 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,558,027 times
Only Old Town, where there is no housing for all practical purposes, is a place where I would fear mugging. In the metro area murders are basically family or workplace shootings and on occasion what is evidently gang members evening a score - if there is peace in your home and you aren't involved in a gang your odds of being murdered are very, very, small.

Old 02-05-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
I was wondering if some local residents of Portland could shed light on another issue. I have heard and read that Portland is undergoing a lot of gentrification, read an article about Trader Joe's pulling out of a neighborhood because residents opposed it for fears of gentrification.
If only there were an active thread on this very topic.

Old 02-05-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrippn View Post
Where are the moderate areas? I'm moving to Portland in a couple of months from LA, and so far everything I've seen costs a couple of hundred dollars more than what I pay for rent here. It has me all kinds of frustrated.
I was looking at rents in both places a few months back, and was surprised at how relatively small the difference was.

That said, unless you're comparing outlying areas of L.A. to the most expensive parts of Pdx, I'm surprised that you're seeing higher prices here.

The thing to remember is that Pdx is on a much smaller scale. What's your price range (also, what BR/BA) and where will you be working or otherwise occupied?

Old 02-05-2014, 04:34 PM

15 posts, read 18,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
I was looking at rents in both places a few months back, and was surprised at how relatively small the difference was.

That said, unless you're comparing outlying areas of L.A. to the most expensive parts of Pdx, I'm surprised that you're seeing higher prices here.

The thing to remember is that Pdx is on a much smaller scale. What's your price range (also, what BR/BA) and where will you be working or otherwise occupied?

I currently live in a one bedroom in the Hollywood Hills and am paying less than $1100/mo. I was hoping to be paying less than this in a walkable area close to downtown, as Portland is a smaller city. The size of the city was a major factor in my decision to move. I'm mostly seeing Portland prices around $1200+. The difference may seem small, but it's a lot when you're transitioning, and a lot in general when you're talking about moving to a smaller city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland