Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2014, 09:29 AM

836 posts, read 1,662,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
There's one in La Grande, I think, where they do the pumping but you are still required to go inside to pay. That's just lousy. Might have been in Baker, not sure which.
ha- that one in Baker does it so maybe you'll buy stuff from their cool store.

The attendant gives you a discount card (at least he does when i tip him) and i use it on delcious pie & coffee.

try to make that a rest stop and spend a little time inside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 10:12 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,458,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriouskelly View Post
ha- that one in Baker does it so maybe you'll buy stuff from their cool store. The attendant gives you a discount card (at least he does when i tip him) and i use it on delcious pie & coffee. try to make that a rest stop and spend a little time inside.
Heh. In my case, it was bound to backfire, because I was irritated enough that I didn't even look around. I would literally have gone to the next place down the road to get a snack and a drink. But thanks for explaining what their game is--at least now I understand the situation.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:28 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times
The requirement to pay inside is two fold. One, too many drive offs. Two, dishonest employees.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:47 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times
I don't know why anybody on earth would find this difficult. It's jobs. And while I'm sure not all gas attendants particularly like what they're doing, I'm sure some much prefer it to flipping burgers.

And I don't buy the concept that doing it yourself is cheaper. We go to California often ~ pumping their own doesn't do a damn thing for their pockets.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:29 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,458,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
The requirement to pay inside is two fold. One, too many drive offs. Two, dishonest employees.
If they ask for my credit card before they go to pump the gas, there is zero chance of a driveoff.

If their employees are dishonest, inconveniencing me because they can't hire honest people is bad business, and I hope their employees steal them blind while I shop somewhere better.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:40 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,709,525 times
I pulled into a gas station not to long ago and told them to fill it up. As I went to hand him my card and he said I have to pay inside for my gas first. I asked the attendent how do i know what to pay first when I want you to fill up the tank, and I don't know the exact total will be. The guy just kept repeating that I had to pay inside first. So I went to another gas station that doesnt jerk the customers around.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:58 PM

423 posts, read 1,931,014 times
what is the purpose behind the law? Is is for safety- i cant imagine. Is it really for jobs? I don't see how. There are probably fewer gas stations than elsewhere because the gas stations always have to be staffed for pumping gasoline- what about at night time... if you go to some rural area the pump is probably closed. I'm assuming having to pay people to pump your gas is paid for by higher gasoline tax? If that is the case what is the aggregate offset of the effect on the economy of other possible jobs that could have been created? I just am curious about it all and why a state would decide to make a law like this. In all the other statesm save New Jersey, there are still full-service options if you are feeling lazy or don't want to get out of your car, etc. It seems strange to me to take away consumer options though in Oregon and New Jersey and for what purpose exactly?

Old 02-08-2014, 07:05 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkx7 View Post
what is the purpose behind the law? Is is for safety- i cant imagine. Is it really for jobs? I don't see how. There are probably fewer gas stations than elsewhere because the gas stations always have to be staffed for pumping gasoline- what about at night time... if you go to some rural area the pump is probably closed. I'm assuming having to pay people to pump your gas is paid for by higher gasoline tax? If that is the case what is the aggregate offset of the effect on the economy of other possible jobs that could have been created? I just am curious about it all and why a state would decide to make a law like this. In all the other statesm save New Jersey, there are still full-service options if you are feeling lazy or don't want to get out of your car, etc. It seems strange to me to take away consumer options though in Oregon and New Jersey and for what purpose exactly?
Not sure you have ever been to Oregon, you won't have any problem finding a gas station, nor will you have any problem finding one that is open. Also the difference in gas between Oregon and Oklahoma is $0.18 a gallon.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:06 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkx7 View Post
As has been stated multiple times in this thread, we vote on it. The majority of the citizens like it this way.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:21 PM

423 posts, read 1,931,014 times
why do people vote for it though? What is the rational? "people like it this way"- but why is that- is it just because it's "always been this way?" Not sure why having the option of self serve or full service is a problem. Just a honest, curious question. I have been to Oregon and Oregon is one of my favorite US states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland