Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 09:57 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times

Advertisements

I saw this in the political thread, but felt like it was a topic that should belong here because I am sure plenty of locals would want comment on this topic.

http://cni.pmgnews.com/pt/9-news/209...-of-affordable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 01:00 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,754,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I saw this in the political thread, but felt like it was a topic that should belong here because I am sure plenty of locals would want comment on this topic.

High cost of 'affordable'
Good article, a great saying comes to mind. Any illness or injustice in our society is caused because someone is profiting from it. Take the profit away and I bet alot of the issues would go away. Poverty and Homelessnes has become big business. We tend to focus on the people in the system as the problem (the homeless, people getting government assistance) But ignore the poverty pimp agencies and programs whos policies and practices often keep the cycle of Homelessness or Poverty going. I believe if people knew the amount of money the Central City Concerns of this country make in the name of Homelessness or Poverty for themselves, there would be no more talk about the guy who buys a lotto ticket while getting Food Stamps.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:03 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times
Been there, done that, and I have the cup, the spoon, and the "T" Shirt. I am a conservative living the liberal dream. I have walked a mile or two in those moccasins and I know the truth. The progressive agenda enables and encourages failure, rather than success. And there are those who do not want change because they profit from it.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:23 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
One of the major causes of homelessness is the implementation of the 'liberal' belief that closing state mental hospitals would mean that the mentally ill would be cared for in community settings. That didn't happen.

That and making it difficult for family to hospitalize their mentally ill family members.

Now we have the jails housing the mentally ill.

Now that I think of it we have a vacant jail just sitting there. Why not open it up as a shelter for the homeless?

Old 02-08-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Been there, done that, and I have the cup, the spoon, and the "T" Shirt. I am a conservative living the liberal dream. I have walked a mile or two in those moccasins and I know the truth. The progressive agenda enables and encourages failure, rather than success. And there are those who do not want change because they profit from it.
You made no sense with this one Steve.....did you wish to add to the conversation of did you just come here to spout memes?

Old 02-08-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
One of the major causes of homelessness is the implementation of the 'liberal' belief that closing state mental hospitals would mean that the mentally ill would be cared for in community settings. That didn't happen.

That and making it difficult for family to hospitalize their mentally ill family members.

Now we have the jails housing the mentally ill.

Now that I think of it we have a vacant jail just sitting there. Why not open it up as a shelter for the homeless?
I have never heard that be called a "liberal belief." I have heard it called a conservative belief where the families of these that are mentally ill should be taking care of their own, not the government.

However the closing of the state mental hospitals wasn't a liberal or conservative thing, it was a budget thing. Unfortunately the mentally ill in the state got the short end of the stick when the budget got a squeezed.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
You made no sense with this one Steve.....did you wish to add to the conversation of did you just come here to spout memes?

Maybe you need to read it in context of the thread.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Maybe you need to read it in context of the thread.
I did and it wasn't a comment that added to the discussion, it was just hollow talking points. I would like to prevent this thread from turning into a dumb conservatives this and liberals that kind of thread because we already have a thread that is like that in the political section.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:25 PM

Your opinion. Sorry Charlie, We don't put much stock in what a New Yorker thinks around here.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:27 PM

5,460 posts, read 8,178,236 times
Quote:
However the closing of the state mental hospitals wasn't a liberal or conservative thing, it was a budget thing. .............
That was only a part of it. It was far more complicated.

Other reasons (but not all of them) why people of varying political persuasions thought that mental hospitals should be closed:

With new drugs, many mentally ill could be treated on an outpatient basis.

People who were merely antisocial were sent to mental hospitals.

People who might be mildly mentally ill but harmless other than being irritating were confined in mental hospitals against their will.

Mental hospitals were inhumane.

And so on.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) - IMDb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland