U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 03:14 AM

94 posts, read 170,252 times

Advertisements

Hi Yal,
So I've been looking at going back to Portland again
However, my concern is economy. It keeps appearing that things are getting better, but I keep coming across forums on here and news articles elsewhere that makes it sound like it's not.
1. Portland is not the lowest unemployment rate area in the state as Corvallis is.
2. According to this article The States People Are Fleeing In 2013 - Forbes Portland has a lot of people moving in.
While things are going on like...
3. Companies like Intel are laying off Biz Break: Intel to cut more than 5,000 jobs as revenues stagnate - San Jose Mercury News
Teachers are on strike http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...ike_leade.html
And Trader Joe's pulls out of a neighborhood http://www.ibtimes.com/trader-joes-p...cation-1553231
Your thoughts?
Have a great day

Last edited by jj85; 02-16-2014 at 03:34 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 03:50 AM

416 posts, read 816,627 times
I can't speak to the area as a whole as I'm fairly new.

However, having family here that work for Intel, I can speak in regards to them. Intel cutting 5,000 jobs is company-wide, not confined only to Oregon. In fact, Intel is hiring on here, given their new D1X fab is coming online next year.

So that's not exactly a very good representation of the job market, strictly speaking about the Portland market.

As for Trader Joe's, it was specifically in regards to highly negative reactions received from the community, not the economic conditions.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:17 AM

6,466 posts, read 12,520,149 times
The economy in Portland is not booming, nor getting worse. It is steadily and slowly getting better in a manner that is in line with the rest of the country.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:30 AM

6,413 posts, read 11,266,120 times
My only indication of the state of the economy is that one of the commercial properties we have ... a few years ago took several months to lease. This time, it took about six hours. With only a sign in the window, not even enough time to list it on Craig's List.

And I certainly wouldn't take these forums of any indication of anything other than a very few people's opinions.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:20 AM

846 posts, read 506,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
The economy in Portland is not booming, nor getting worse. It is steadily and slowly getting better in a manner that is in line with the rest of the country.
This is a very subjective statement. Some would say the opposite due to unemployment, debt, growing number on government assistance...

Indicators such as foreclosures hurt people who were living paycheck to paycheck and got caught up in the housing bubble. Since they were easily exposed by the initial recession the housing indicators are also suspect on how the economy is faring.

To throw my 2 cents in, we are maintaining and this is not good. We need monumental job growth in order to pull out of this economic crisis and very soon.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:04 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,728,151 times
We had a big family get together yesterday and I posed this question.
Just about everyone said that real estate wise, they are doing well.
(Most of my family is grown, and own their homes, and have equity.)

In almost all other aspects, like wages, COL, taxes, etc, the general consensus is that times are really tough.
Everybody is scratching and saving to survive daily life.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:53 PM

4,060 posts, read 5,063,671 times
The Forbes article is based on a nigh-useless survey that I've harshed on in other threads. Likewise, we dedicated 10 pages to discussing the TJs incident - in short it had nothing to do with economic weakness - the underling cause was pushback against gentrification, which is an argument perhaps for economic strength.

There's no question the population is growing, but how much is open to question.

I tend to agree that the economy is slowly improving, which is perhaps the other reason traffic is getting worse. Depending on your field/skills, YMMV.

In any case, the economy anywhere is a gamble. But even if you've lived here before you shouldn't move back without having a job in hand, unless you have somewhere you can live for free for a month or three while you job hunt.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:39 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,728,151 times
I retired in 2008.
I have a fixed income, so I plan financially like a crazy man.
Looking at my personal financials, it seems like my pinching pennies began about 2010.
My expenditure vs income chart looks like a downhill ski slope.
Or an steep uphill climb, whichever way you want to look at it.
Whatever way its not working.
Expenditure items have remained the same in quantity and item, yet cost has sky-rocketed.

Six years later, I can definately say that no matter what the news and "official" statistics might say, I am in a much worse situation with expendable cash than I was five or six years ago, and it does not seem to getting to be any better.

10 years ago I could drop a couple hundred on a four day camping trip--no problem.
Live like a king.........
Today, with the same income, --------- yeah right.
Like that's going to happen today without a lot of pre planning, bargain hunting, and upfront saving.
And before where it was backwoods luxury, now I'm eating beans out of a can..
The same trip now costs me at least twice as much.

The Oregon economy is not improving.
Well, parts of it are, but other parts are not.
As a whole, we are still on the down slope, I believe.
The jobs might be happening, the beginning of inflation hell is just starting.

If you don't believe me, ask yourself when was the last time you thought you were financially comfortable.
Not far ahead of the game, but keeping up comfortably with a little extra to go have some fun on.
Not having to look for cheap or free fun all the time...

Not worrying about the cost of a daytrip or overnight to the beach.
Not worrying about the cost of a summer Sunday drive.
Paying for Lift Tickets.
Not worrying about parking and admission to see an event at the Expo Center.
Not worrying about a spontaneous steak and micro brew cookout on Saturday night.

Bet it's been a while?.

IMHO, I should have voted for Romney last time.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 02-18-2014 at 08:48 PM..

Old 02-18-2014, 10:19 PM

94 posts, read 170,252 times
Dear pdxMIKEpdx:
OMG I feel bad for you. I'm in the same vote. In fact 6 years ago a friend of mine and I went to Lake Tahoe with no plans, it was on a we both have the weekend off type thing let's go, I know where to get the best rate on hotels.
Now it's like omg I have no clue how I'd pay for the gas lol.
6 years ago I was making less money than I am now, but had more money to spend on stuff.
And my uncle went from making about $2000/mth to where he's at now at about $1200
I'll be up there in about a month or less hopefully
PS: Last time around I voted for Romney because I knew Obamacare wouldn't work out, he has a bad track record. Jobs in my field went from being standard full time 40hrs/week with 2 days off to part time, around 20-30hrs/week, not enough to survive on so starting out in a new career field. Will probably attend PCC
Good luck on your retirement, is moving an option for you as maybe get someplace cheaper on the utilities?

Old 02-19-2014, 10:52 AM

4,060 posts, read 5,063,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post

If you don't believe me, ask yourself when was the last time you thought you were financially comfortable.
Not far ahead of the game, but keeping up comfortably with a little extra to go have some fun on.
Not having to look for cheap or free fun all the time...

Bet it's been a while?.

IMHO, I should have voted for Romney last time.
This is why I post on city-data forums for fun. Can't afford to go out.

I'm not sure Romney vs. Obama really matters much in the scheme of the larger economy (even assuming a president can fix the economy, those two were farther apart in rhetoric than in substance imo).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: