Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2014, 12:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,171 times

Advertisements

hey how's everyone doing today? I'm just trying to get a little bit more information about the Portland area and what better way to that then from the people that live there right. Basically the run down about me i'm 24 prior service Marine from Chicago originally currently live in Missouri and hate it. I have the opportunity to take a Job out in Hillsboro, I have an education i'm not just trying to get away from mommy and daddy, just trying to move to a new area and get some new experiences because lifes an adventure and I want to have fun on it. So any information you guys can give me will be much appreciated thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 01:38 PM

892 posts, read 1,593,103 times
You're young and don't have anything tying you down, why not take the job? Promise to give yourself at least 6 months at the new place. If you hate it, then you will know some more things to narrow down the ideal place for you.

Old 02-16-2014, 02:39 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Heck, I was a little younger than you when I got a job offer in NYC Metro and jumped on it.

Just Do It!

Old 02-16-2014, 04:06 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Go for it! The hardest part is getting the job lined up. That's 90% of the work done right there!

Old 02-16-2014, 04:46 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
Definitely go for it. Hillsboro is an affordable area, so finding reasonably priced housing shouldn't be a problem. It's definitely the suburbs of Portland, so you won't have the "downtown" feel. However, you're an easy MAX ride away from downtown, for better entertainment options.

Portland's a great place for an adventure. It's not the big city of Chicago, but for a young person, there is plenty to do ... both indoors and out.

Is there anything in particular you want to know about?

Old 02-18-2014, 12:02 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times
'Suburb' may be misleading in some respects. It's basically an older stand-alone town and ag area that is being steadily absorbed by development.

But Hillsboro is a broad piece of turf. It has a viable old downtown of its own, elsewhere a mix of trendy development (Orenco or Tanasbourne), box stores and more typical suburban developments, and even some remaining farmland. There are older blue collar neighborhoods, and newish developments swarming with Intel engys.

It's got fairly easy access to the coast/coastal range, and getting to downtown Pdx off-peak is generally pretty easy. If you don't mind a 1h commute, you could even live in downtown Pdx and commute out, though I don't recommend it.

If you ride a motorcycle there are some truly great rides out that way. I personally like Hillsboro quite a bit, and would prefer to be back over there than on the east side. But it is a lot of places in one, and you'll see some posters who are only familiar with one aspect of it.

But I agree with Enrico, if you tell us a bit more about what you're looking for (personal life, housing, etc.) it will be easier for us to comment on whether the things Hillsboro (or the area) have to offer are a viable match.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:09 PM

56 posts, read 77,376 times
Please spend time in Portland before deciding. It's not for everyone. There are some nice things, but I know other mid-westerners who moved to Portland and were in for a culture shock. Just spend time first, maybe you will like it. It's not for me to say, but you also may want to read the way people from the area reply to some of the other posts on here. Just trying got help.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:57 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
No community is "right" for everyone. Yes, Portland is different culturally from many mid-westerners but that could be said for mid-westerners moving within that region.

In today's economy a good job is gold. Unless the 'culture' is so offensive that you are inclined to flee I suggest you take the opportunity offered and give it a try. I would say the same if the job were in Texas or the SE where the 'culture' is typically different than what is comfortable for me.

A job is just that. It is not a marriage. If you don't like the job or the community move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: