Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 11:28 AM

320 posts, read 416,334 times

Advertisements

Hello new Portland transplants! I'm just curious as to how you're all doing so far with your first winter there? Those of you from warmer, dryer states (i.e. CA, AZ) how did you handle the snow? I know winter is not over yet, and snow is not the norm in Portland, but just want to see how you're feeling about it so far. Has it been harder or easier to adjust than expected?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 01:29 PM

FYI, this is a question for ALL transplants, not just the ones from warm states

Old 02-17-2014, 08:11 PM

Bueller? Bueller? Anyone? Even those of you that have been in Portland a couple years now, how did you handle your first winter there? First snow? Any input/feelings/stories are appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:26 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,838,833 times
Not an issue at all. Came here from midwest. Got a kick out of the melodrama.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:08 PM

1,739 posts, read 953,589 times
I moved here in early Sept from southern California. The winter hasn't really bothered me too much. I was expecting lots of rain, maybe a day of light snow, and colder temperatures. It has rained a lot less than I was expecting (although I understand this has been an unusually dry winter) and the snow was more than I was expecting (but then that was unusual too)....so I guess, all in all, no surprises. The cold spell right after Thanksgiving was a bit much, though. And since I ususually get up pretty early, being dark out until after 7:00 AM probably bothered me the most.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:51 PM

416 posts, read 869,914 times
Moved here in November 2013 from the San Francisco Bay Area.

Loving the weather. Part of the reason why I moved here. I like cold, cloudy, rainy days. And the snow was a nice experience after not seeing any in almost 15 years.

I also traded in my 2011 BMW for a 2014 Subaru right at the proper time, as well - a week and a half before the snow storm. The AWD let me trek all over Portland without issue, passing up many stranded Priuses.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Not an issue at all. Came here from midwest. Got a kick out of the melodrama.
I can imagine how mild winter in Portland must be in comparison to the mid west!

Old 02-19-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
I moved here in early Sept from southern California. The winter hasn't really bothered me too much. I was expecting lots of rain, maybe a day of light snow, and colder temperatures. It has rained a lot less than I was expecting (although I understand this has been an unusually dry winter) and the snow was more than I was expecting (but then that was unusual too)....so I guess, all in all, no surprises. The cold spell right after Thanksgiving was a bit much, though. And since I ususually get up pretty early, being dark out until after 7:00 AM probably bothered me the most.
Thanks for the reply. I agree that having it still be dark outside when that alarm goes off, would make getting out of a nice warm bed very difficult! Glad your adjusting alright. Hope your enjoying Portland!

Old 02-19-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXBC View Post

Loving the weather. Part of the reason why I moved here. I like cold, cloudy, rainy days. And the snow was a nice experience after not seeing any in almost 15 years.

I also traded in my 2011 BMW for a 2014 Subaru right at the proper time, as well - a week and a half before the snow storm. The AWD let me trek all over Portland without issue, passing up many stranded Priuses.
Thank you JXBC. I'm right there with you on weather preference, and long for the cooler weather and cloud cover. However I know that once you are actually there experiencing it day after day, feelings change for some people Glad to hear you are still enjoying it!

I'm also planning on purchasing an AWD before moving up there just to be on the safe side. Had a scary experience in Bend!

Old 02-19-2014, 01:05 PM
YaB

26 posts, read 40,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWdreamin View Post
Hello new Portland transplants! I'm just curious as to how you're all doing so far with your first winter there? Those of you from warmer, dryer states (i.e. CA, AZ) how did you handle the snow? I know winter is not over yet, and snow is not the norm in Portland, but just want to see how you're feeling about it so far. Has it been harder or easier to adjust than expected?
Hey there PNWdreamin! Since your post is about the weather, how's the weather you've experienced in the month of March?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXBC View Post

I myself enjoy the cold, cloudy, and rainy days. I miss that environment, since I can't really find it around here in Arizona .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland