Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 04:05 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,624,606 times

Advertisements

Looks like one change last year in Provo is that Comcast started offering much higher speeds (250/50 Mbps) for the same price ($70 per month). Still doesn't beat the proposed 1 Gbps of Google, but goes to show that in this case competition is better for the consumer.

Google Fiber now faces Comcast's 250 Mbps offering in Provo - FierceTelecom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 04:31 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times
But Comcast serves about 1,000,000 in the area and Google serves under 5,000

Old 02-19-2014, 04:48 PM

892 posts, read 2,392,520 times
I can't understand the "not in our lifetime" claim at all, or the pessimism. First of all, hell yes it's a call to badger city hall because that's how Kansas City got theirs and that's how we'll have to get ours if we want it. Second, there's nothing in any of the reports on this anywhere online about it being a "limited corridor" (in up to five suburbs?) or not being intended for residential use. Third, it's pretty short-sighted to make any claims that anyone somehow "knows" where broadband access will be in the USA in another decade. Will it still be way behind South Korea and a bunch of other places? Sure. But will this whole fiasco-era of last mile BS still even be relevant? It's entirely possible that it won't be. Just take a look at where wireless technologies for pushing bits around were ten years ago. Try to imagine where they could be ten years from now. Someday it's entirely possible that worrying about having a cable or DSL or fiber connection will be as uninteresting to the common consumer as worrying about having a copper landline telephone is today.

There are no certainties except that people really, really, really hate these monolithic ISPs and the crap they put us all through. Once we finish abandoning cable TV for the web and set top boxes, we're all going to start thinking more critically about where we get the feed for those devices from, and whether it's being monkeyed with, and whether we're being ripped off for it. Wireless last mile technologies could seriously disrupt that decision.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:52 PM

You are not looking in the right places. It may be a Geek's dream, but it is not at this time likely to ever be a reality. The city can't afford to fix potholes, let alone build out a fiber network that is a Google pipe dream. Maybe more pipe than it should be (wink, wink).

I use broadcast TV. If you don't like the monolithic giants, don't use them.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:13 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,624,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khyron View Post
There are no certainties except that people really, really, really hate these monolithic ISPs and the crap they put us all through.
Totally agree. And frankly, Google is a giant too (not unlike Comcast), but I would much rather choose between two giants than have only one option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khyron View Post
Once we finish abandoning cable TV for the web and set top boxes, we're all going to start thinking more critically about where we get the feed for those devices from, and whether it's being monkeyed with, and whether we're being ripped off for it.
My story--I abandoned cable TV years ago. Did fine on DVD rentals and checkouts from the library for a long time, and now I happily pay Netflix, Apple, and Amazon for the shows that I want to watch rather than the dreck that fills the cable stations. I am very content with my connection speed now, so I'm hoping that the competition results in lower bills. And not to get too preachy, but I'm happy to not be a consumer of the junk on cable, particularly the 24-hour news networks that people seem to love (why?).

Old 02-19-2014, 05:23 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,453,752 times
At this point, all Portland is being requested to do is to identify areas that may pose problems with existing utilities.

They are not being asked to fund, or build the network..............yet.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:29 AM
YaB

26 posts, read 40,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
Given the way infrastructure is treated in this country (privately owned and developed, even if with subsidy), that's not really a viable option. I'm not even sure what infrastructure CenturyLink is using, but whatever it is ain't good.

Frontier FIOS is available in some areas in WashCo, but I don't think it's available in the city proper.

Even if Google is looking at Portland, Fiber is not coming tomorrow and it's certainly not going to be available for everyone any time in the near future. They've been working on K.C. (at one point their only site) for over 3 years now and it's still nowhere near complete.

I'd be curious how local competitors changed pricing as Google has expanded [in that market].
I believe that what Google has projected is great news and as bler144 has mentioned that at one point, Kansas City was the only city that Google was working on the fiber infrastructure. I'm surprised that amount of cities that Google have listed, will potentially have fiber available by Google.

I agree with bler144 that the Fiber in cities such as Portland, will not be available for everyone anytime in the near future. Most states and large companies are taking advantage of dark fiber (fiber that have been implemented years ago, but not being utilized), but aren't being used for the general home users. What Google is implementing is great, but it will take some time to see the the full potential.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:15 PM
OHW

102 posts, read 147,686 times
ANYTHING to start chipping away at Comcast, I am on board with.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHW View Post
ANYTHING to start chipping away at Comcast, I am on board with.
Why?

Old 02-20-2014, 03:40 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Maybe they are jumping the gun but the news people are all talking as if it were going to mean Portlanders are going to get Google cable service if Google decides they are going to move here. That is the entire metro.

As for me, as I have mentioned before, I'm doing fine without it. They would have to make me a really good offer I couldn't refuse in order to ever get cable back. I used to be a Comcast supporter but the last couple of years I had them they gave me nothing but grief, bad service and raised prices. At one time, you could call and talk to a person without a heavy accent from who-knows-where, negotiate service and fees and even talk to a human being in person at their office. When that ended and they continued to add to my bill for little "extras" for which I never asked, I decided it was all over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland