Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2007, 02:11 PM

38 posts, read 73,396 times

Advertisements

I moved to Salem about 2 years ago, and I am terribly unhappy here. I moved from a larger city and Salem has very little to offer. I am a 56 yr old grandmother, so driving to Portland to do things as often as I'd like to, is dangerous for those who drive around me. (kind of a little joke there) I have only been to Portland once but I found it to be beautiful. However, I have no idea what neighborhoods would be good for me to try to move to, or much else about the city. I just know that I want to get out and enjoy myself. I am not much of an outdoor person as far as camping, etc. goes. My love is film, concerts, the arts, nice places to dine, etc. Any help anyone can give me would be tremendously appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 07:49 PM

152 posts, read 530,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishp View Post
I moved to Salem about 2 years ago, and I am terribly unhappy here. I moved from a larger city and Salem has very little to offer. I am a 56 yr old grandmother, so driving to Portland to do things as often as I'd like to, is dangerous for those who drive around me. (kind of a little joke there) I have only been to Portland once but I found it to be beautiful. However, I have no idea what neighborhoods would be good for me to try to move to, or much else about the city. I just know that I want to get out and enjoy myself. I am not much of an outdoor person as far as camping, etc. goes. My love is film, concerts, the arts, nice places to dine, etc. Any help anyone can give me would be tremendously appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help.....
will you commute back to salem for work? or are you going to stay in the metro area to work and live?

Old 12-03-2007, 08:28 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,048,239 times
what kind of price ranges are you looking into? buy or rent?

Old 12-04-2007, 11:29 AM

Thank you for your replies.

No, I won't come back to Salem to work. If I can move to Portland, I want to get established there.

I'll likely rent at first. Depending on prices. I have two dogs - a lab and a bassett hound, so I'm sure that will complicate matters. I can afford probably $800 - $900./mo. I need at least a two bdrm, but I don't know if that is doable for the amount I can pay.

Thanks again.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:06 PM

152 posts, read 530,924 times
Maybe start in the Mt. Tabor area, avoid southeast, on the other hand tigard and tualatin and capitol hill area may have things in your range, close to portland but not in the middle of it, if you like funky try the burnside neighborhoods. good luck

Old 12-04-2007, 08:51 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,575 times
Check out Multnomah Village--there's a great dog park there too. You can also find things in the Woodstock area, near the shopping strip in that range (stay west of 52nd) and Woodstock Park is a great gathering place for dogs too! There are lots of areas in Portland you'd like really. And I think you'd be WAY happier in Portland than Salem based on what your interests are!!!

Old 12-08-2007, 03:47 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
trish, It sounds as if you and I have a lot of the same needs. I will be retiring in June and moving to Portland, also. I don't want to live in a neighborhood with lots of young people, just because I would feel more comfortable with people closer to my own age.
That is why The Pearl District would not be a good one for me. Multnomah VIllage looks very pretty on the virtual walk .

Old 12-17-2007, 06:57 PM

Default Need info about Portland please

Thank you all for taking the time to reply to my message. Now, at least I feel like I've got some direction. I will start checking out the areas you have each suggested and see what happens. Thanks again.

Happy Holidays

Old 12-24-2007, 04:34 PM

85 posts, read 129,775 times
I would see a realitor, tell him or her exactly what you are looking for in a neighborhood. Its their job to match your desires to the right location. If anything, you can see the city and get exposed to different lifestyle choices with a qualified guide. Good luck, how exciting!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland