Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 09:39 PM

3 posts, read 6,983 times

Advertisements

My family is relocating from California to Portland for my husband's job. We have recently bought a home in Forest Grove and are waiting for it to be built. In the meantime, we are still in California. I have been reading some disturbing posts/blogs/comments about how Forest Grove is racist and how there are White Supremacists in the area. It is a small town, and I find this news discomforting. I am Asian, my husband is white, and we have small children. I apologize if I sound ignorant. My race and interracial marriage has never been an issue in California, but I am not saying it doesn't exist. I am just really terrified of relocating to somewhere new, and I want a safe environment for my children.

Last edited by Getzie; 03-02-2014 at 10:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 10:09 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,121 times
Normally you would visit the town before moving. However, you'll be fine. Asian/white relationships aren't a big deal here, just like they aren't in California. There are idiots everywhere but no one is going to hurt you.

I'm really curious why you'd buy a house here before even moving without making sure the city/town is a good fit for you. You may have been happier in a place like Beaverton with a larger Asian population, but just the same, you won't be in any danger in Forest Grove.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:09 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,702 times
It's racist.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:36 PM

159 posts, read 409,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzie View Post
My family is relocating from California to Portland for my husband's job. We have recently bought a home in Forest Grove and are waiting for it to be built. In the meantime, we are still in California. I have been reading some disturbing posts/blogs/comments about how Forest Grove is racist and how there are White Supremacists in the area. It is a small town, and I find this news discomforting. I am Asian, my husband is white, and we have small children. I apologize if I sound ignorant. My race and interracial marriage has never been an issue in California, but I am not saying it doesn't exist. I am just really terrified of relocating to somewhere new, and I want a safe environment for my children.

Funny you should mention Forest Grove. I was talking to a Caucasian lady here in Portland a few weeks ago and she mentioned that there was a handful of African Americans living in Forest Grove/Cornelious area and that many of them are advised to be careful at night because of the white supremacist activity in that area. I'm not trying to scare you I'm just relaying what someone told me so take it with a grain of salt. I don't know the racial climate concerning Asians so I really cant answer your question there.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:13 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
I had several co-workers and friends from Hawaii who went to Pacific University in Forest Grove, most of them Asian and Pacific Islander, and I don't ever remember any of them commenting on any particular racism against them while they were there(and the university itself has a student body with a lot of people from Hawaii). I've been out to the Pacific Rim Festival celebrating Hawaiian and Japanese and other Asian cultures at the SakeOne Brewery a few years out there and never heard anyone make any comments to the regards of Forest Grove being that racist a place either.

Sometimes you have to take rumors of white supremacist bogeyman in places in Oregon with a grain of salt, they're usually from people who don't actually live in any of those areas they mention(people who've never even been to Oregon still imagine the state to be crawling with those types). The biggest issues around Forest Grove is probably Hispanic gangs like the Norteños or average white tweakers engaging in property crime.

Last edited by Deezus; 03-02-2014 at 11:27 PM..

Old 03-02-2014, 11:34 PM

I had two co-workers graduate from Pacific. Neither are white, and neither had anything negative to say about Forest Grove other than it being boring.

I agree with Deezus--the whole white supremacist thing is a bit much. Does racism exist? Of course it does. It exists everywhere but...I hardly think this couple has anything to worry about.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:35 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,911,761 times
I live in forest grove.

There have been some high-profile news articles lately that are bringing some hate out of the woodwork. I would disagree that there are white supremacists around, and I think that hateful actions would not be tolerated here. I find those rumors to be ridiculous, personally.

We've been having a lot of local conversations about what it means to be Hispanic in a place like this and disparity in education/etc depending on what part of town you live in. Our school district here in FG encompasses both FG and Cornelius, which is much more low income and much more hispanic - so the scores and services vary widely by neighborhood for K-4. All public students attend the same school starting in 5th grade (upper elementary). Recently the local paper posted a story about how FG has more hispanics in the school district than any other city in the metropolitan portland area. I think some people feel threatened by those numbers (they are no longer a minority!) and others downplay the barriers that hispanic and latino people face in everyday life.

IMO, your interracial marriage will be a non-issue. Forest Grove is a great place for families and I think you will be very happy here. Please feel free to PM me if you have any other questions or need any local recs, etc.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:36 PM

Deezus you were spot on!
Washington County Interagency Gang Enforcement Team presents gang activity in Forest Grove, Cornelius | OregonLive.com

Old 03-02-2014, 11:57 PM

159 posts, read 409,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I had several co-workers and friends from Hawaii who went to Pacific University in Forest Grove, most of them Asian and Pacific Islander, and I don't ever remember any of them commenting on any particular racism against them while they were there(and the university itself has a student body with a lot of people from Hawaii). I've been out to the Pacific Rim Festival celebrating Hawaiian and Japanese and other Asian cultures at the SakeOne Brewery a few years out there and never heard anyone make any comments to the regards of Forest Grove being that racist a place either.

Sometimes you have to take rumors of white supremacist bogeyman in places in Oregon with a grain of salt, they're usually from people who don't actually live in any of those areas they mention(people who've never even been to Oregon still imagine the state to be crawling with those types). The biggest issues around Forest Grove is probably Hispanic gangs like the Norteños or average white tweakers engaging in property crime.

A few months ago, a group of white supremacists were busted for producing meth right down the street from me in SE Portland. I wouldn't call it a boogeyman but I will say that its probably a really tiny elephant in the room.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:53 AM

How do you know they were white supremacists and not just some losers who happened to be white and/or racist?

Truly curious. The terms have similarity but they also are glaringly different as well. Racism exists in every race but true supremacy is a totally different level, threat of violence, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland