Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 06:25 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,134,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Um, you just answered your own question. You, and everyone else, is going too slow for them. That's why they're going in and out of traffic to get ahead (regardless if they really are or not). Which, btw, if you do it right, you can get far ahead....but you have to do it right and play it perfectly. Guess he didn't. LOL.
If you are driving 10-20+mph faster than everyone else, then you are driving recklessly. Also mathematics says you aren't going to get much further ahead by driving 10mph faster than them unless you are driving over an hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 09:47 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,063,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
If you are driving 10-20+mph faster than everyone else, then you are driving recklessly. Also mathematics says you aren't going to get much further ahead by driving 10mph faster than them unless you are driving over an hour.
My point still remains. You're going too slow for them. Just like the person you're going around probably thinks you're going too fast, for no reason, since they're right behind you too. Reckless or not, you're going too slow....to that person. And I highly doubt the person driving that fast was thinking, "oh dear, I'm driving recklessly, I should slow down." Trust me, they don't care.

My brother used to be one of those reckless drivers. I can tell you he doesn't care who ends up behind him and I can tell you there are times you'll never see him again because he's so far ahead of you.

And yes, math is math, but if you just take two people driving, one person can easily get to a destination in half the time than the other....due to their driving habits. My crazy brother is proof of that.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
My point still remains. You're going too slow for them. Just like the person you're going around probably thinks you're going too fast, for no reason, since they're right behind you too. Reckless or not, you're going too slow....to that person. And I highly doubt the person driving that fast was thinking, "oh dear, I'm driving recklessly, I should slow down." Trust me, they don't care.

My brother used to be one of those reckless drivers. I can tell you he doesn't care who ends up behind him and I can tell you there are times you'll never see him again because he's so far ahead of you.

And yes, math is math, but if you just take two people driving, one person can easily get to a destination in half the time than the other....due to their driving habits. My crazy brother is proof of that.
If someone can reduce their drive time by half, then they shouldn't be allowed to drive due to being a danger to everyone on the road because one would basically have to drive double the speed limit.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
If someone can reduce their drive time by half, then they shouldn't be allowed to drive due to being a danger to everyone on the road because one would basically have to drive double the speed limit.
You're thinking about this too linearly. My friend drives slow, speed limit in CA is slow, she doesn't change lanes and sticks to the slow lane on the freeway or the very right lane on streets. Me, I don't go in and out, but if someone is turning a right, I'll go around if I can. I am in the fast lane on the freeway. So, when we drive, I can get somewhere in half the time, because of the way we drive. I am not driving recklessly and she isn't holding up traffic. And so it goes for everyone on the road.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
You're thinking about this too linearly. My friend drives slow, speed limit in CA is slow, she doesn't change lanes and sticks to the slow lane on the freeway or the very right lane on streets. Me, I don't go in and out, but if someone is turning a right, I'll go around if I can. I am in the fast lane on the freeway. So, when we drive, I can get somewhere in half the time, because of the way we drive. I am not driving recklessly and she isn't holding up traffic. And so it goes for everyone on the road.
You sound like you drive normal, therefore my statement wasn't referring to the way you drive.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:14 AM

1,455 posts, read 2,493,440 times
Quote:
It is a linear problem. To arrive in 1/2 the time you have to drive double the speed that the other driver is averaging. If the slow lane driver is averaging 55, you'll need to drive an average of 110. It's not complicated and all the guff about lanes and so on is irrelevant, just look at the average speeds. Are you really going to keep to you assertion you get there in 1/2 the time? Maybe 10% less time if you are pushing it.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
It is a linear problem. To arrive in 1/2 the time you have to drive double the speed that the other driver is averaging. If the slow lane driver is averaging 55, you'll need to drive an average of 110. It's not complicated and all the guff about lanes and so on is irrelevant, just look at the average speeds. Are you really going to keep to you assertion you get there in 1/2 the time? Maybe 10% less time if you are pushing it.

In your example, yes, mathematically that is correct. I completely agree that in order to get there in half the time, I'd have to go double my friend's speed. HOWEVER, what you're forgetting is that most people don't drive an average of 55. My car tells me my average and it isn't even 30mph. Most of my miles were put on in CA where I drive 50+ almost everywhere and a quarter of it was put on driving interstate and that was 80+++. So, if mine is barely 30, I can imagine that the average driver averages even less.

So, in my example with my friend, which is real-life, my top speed may hit 80, hers may hit 60. But when it comes down to it, her average may be 15 and mine is 30. Going double her average isn't hard to do, due to her driving habits. I don't have drive like a bat out of hell to get there faster and no, it's not 10%, it's 50%.

Pure math, I agree. But if you want to talk numbers in reality, then throw out real numbers. Averaging 55 is not real life driving (prof drivers may be an exception).

Old 04-01-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:

In your example, yes, mathematically that is correct. I completely agree that in order to get there in half the time, I'd have to go double my friend's speed. HOWEVER, what you're forgetting is that most people don't drive an average of 55. My car tells me my average and it isn't even 30mph. Most of my miles were put on in CA where I drive 50+ almost everywhere and a quarter of it was put on driving interstate and that was 80+++. So, if mine is barely 30, I can imagine that the average driver averages even less.

So, in my example with my friend, which is real-life, my top speed may hit 80, hers may hit 60. But when it comes down to it, her average may be 15 and mine is 30. Going double her average isn't hard to do, due to her driving habits. I don't have drive like a bat out of hell to get there faster and no, it's not 10%, it's 50%.

Pure math, I agree. But if you want to talk numbers in reality, then throw out real numbers. Averaging 55 is not real life driving (prof drivers may be an exception).
Your math still doesn't add up. I seriously doubt you get to places in half the time it takes your friend to get to the same places.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Your math still doesn't add up. I seriously doubt you get to places in half the time it takes your friend to get to the same places.
How does my math not add up? Isn't 30 twice as large as 15? Doesn't that mean half the time? So what takes me 5 mins, takes her 10? Sorry to inform you, but my math is just fine. I can't help it if you refuse to see the truth unless it smacks you upside the head. We can race if you want me to prove it to you. And I promise not to break 100.

I give. You win. You're right. I'm wrong. Even if I have lived the truth and you haven't. Thank you everyone for the time and patience, but I'm done with this thread.

Portlanders are obviously zombies.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:31 AM

Quote:
How does my math not add up? Isn't 30 twice as large as 15? Doesn't that mean half the time? So what takes me 5 mins, takes her 10? Sorry to inform you, but my math is just fine. I can't help it if you refuse to see the truth unless it smacks you upside the head. We can race if you want me to prove it to you. And I promise not to break 100.

I give. You win. You're right. I'm wrong. Even if I have lived the truth and you haven't. Thank you everyone for the time and patience, but I'm done with this thread.

Portlanders are obviously zombies.
I doubt your friend drives 15mph on average in Portland, unless they only drive around downtown. I had an idiot in Jersey honk at me this morning because I did slam on the gas the moment the light turned green, be lucky the people in Portland are much more cautious drivers, it is much better than having everyone on the road be reckless drivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland