Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 10:41 AM

19 posts, read 30,654 times

Advertisements

Wife and I are looking to move to Portland area in about a year or so. Gonna start off with an apartment for a year to allow us to look at homes to buy and get used to the area. Not looking to live in Portland but outside areas, like from Aloha to Gresham. Obviously nothing outrageous price wise but 2+ bedroom preferably 3. One thing I'm looking for in particular is a view of mt. hood off the balcony. I've found a few but wondered if anyone knew specific apartments with views as such. Thanks for all the replies ahead of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 12:31 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
A view of Mt. Hood is hard to find in Aloha as the Tualatin Hills would obstruct it.

You might find something east of I-205 on the hill. Not my neighborhood so can't provide specifics. Three bedroom apartments are not common.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:09 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,618,677 times
Agreed - not going to see Hood from the almost anywhere on the west side, though you can still get some nice views. A lot of the newer apts in Happy Valley have nice views as well, but of the valley and the closer peaks - I don't recall seeing Hood.

Wood Village/Fairview is going to have the best perspective on Hood, though off-hand I can't think of any complexes with balconies. Gresham or far NE Pdx as well. Prices are relatively moderate there, at least as the metro goes - might find a townhouse for under $1500.

And of course, you get great views of the river and Hood from some of the houseboats off Marine.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:24 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,624,108 times
I think you can see Mt. Hood while driving eastbound on Tualatin Valley Hwy, but I can't be sure because I haven't been out that way on a clear day for a while. Unfortunately, Google Street View is no help because the images in the area I looked at (near SW TV Hwy and 185th) were taken on a cloudy day. But I do seem to remember seeing the mountain clearly (although quite far in the distance).

And there are apartment complexes in the Mtn. Park area of Lake Oswego with good mountain views.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:30 PM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,499,660 times
Quote:
A view of Mt. Hood is hard to find in Aloha as the Tualatin Hills would obstruct it....
Agreed - not going to see Hood from the almost anywhere on the west side
There are plenty of places on the west side from where you can Mt. Hood. Including Aloha.
Ex. drive east on TV highway in Aloha on a clear day, and you will see Mt. Hood right in front of you.
Just about this stretch: TV highway

There are certainly many, many apartments on the west side with that view as well.
Your best bet is to look at the topographic map of PDX area, and search for apartments on the slopes of the hill ranges.
Portland Topo map

Old 04-10-2014, 03:31 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,618,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiffrace View Post
There are plenty of places on the west side from where you can Mt. Hood. Including Aloha.
Ex. drive east on TV highway in Aloha on a clear day, and you will see Mt. Hood right in front of you.
Just about this stretch: TV highway

There are certainly many, many apartments on the west side with that view as well.
Your best bet is to look at the topographic map of PDX area, and search for apartments on the slopes of the hill ranges.
Portland Topo map
I'm curious which apt complexes you'd say in particular do. Seeing Hood from TV highway is one thing but in most complexes you have either other buildings or trees cutting the sight line. I've lived in Hillsboro on the top floor east-facing and had no view of the sort.

Most of the topography over there is sloping down away from the Skyline ridge, thus you tend to get good views to the W/SW/S. Perhaps there is a complex over there that's an exception, but for most of those 3-4 story complexes I'm a bit skeptical.

You get a great view of Hood most of the run down Columbia Blvd too, but a view from any given property along there is much more hit or miss, again because of other structures and trees.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:41 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
And one has to also remember that you don't see Mt Hood all that often, usually cloudy days make it impossible to see.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:38 PM

17 posts, read 20,366 times
You can definitely find Mt Hood views out on west side. There are apartments off SW Murray between Sexton Mountain and Brockman with Hood views - when it isn't too cloudy. There are nice Hood views in the hills just south of Farmington Rd. I've caught some awesome breathtaking looks at mountain while coming down the hill on SW Weir heading east, and again in the Madrona Heights neighborhood, but those are areas of SFHs. And, as someone else mentioned, on a clear day if you drive east on TV Hwy it looks like the road leads straight to the mountain.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:02 PM

584 posts, read 1,340,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFURNO View Post
Wife and I are looking to move to Portland area in about a year or so. Gonna start off with an apartment for a year to allow us to look at homes to buy and get used to the area. Not looking to live in Portland but outside areas, like from Aloha to Gresham. Obviously nothing outrageous price wise but 2+ bedroom preferably 3. One thing I'm looking for in particular is a view of mt. hood off the balcony. I've found a few but wondered if anyone knew specific apartments with views as such. Thanks for all the replies ahead of time.
Look into Murrayhill in Beaverton.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:10 PM

584 posts, read 1,340,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaAloha View Post
You can definitely find Mt Hood views out on west side. There are apartments off SW Murray between Sexton Mountain and Brockman with Hood views - when it isn't too cloudy. There are nice Hood views in the hills just south of Farmington Rd. I've caught some awesome breathtaking looks at mountain while coming down the hill on SW Weir heading east, and again in the Madrona Heights neighborhood, but those are areas of SFHs. And, as someone else mentioned, on a clear day if you drive east on TV Hwy it looks like the road leads straight to the mountain.
Yes, there are many parts of the west you can see Mt.Hood such Sexton Mountain you mentioned. asicly north of Murray past Hart shoule have plenty of apartments with Mt.Hood view.
Actually we can see Mt.Hood at intersection of TV highway and Murray but i doubt anything from downtown Beaverton going east will have the view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland