Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2014, 07:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,087 times

Advertisements

i apologize for the bad grammar and punctuation in advance i am a African america gay male who lives in oklahoma one day a friend told me about portland so i started looking at everything i could find on blogs about portland and i liked what i found out so that's what brings me here i am getting the money together for my big move and i only have a 11 questions.

1. As a majority are the people of portland friendly?

2. is portland Diverse?

3.is the cost of living high?

4. is it hard to find a job?

5. is there good pubic transportation systems? ( im mainly wondering about the city bus system)

6. major public events?

7. cool hangouts?

8. being gay in portland and LBGT events/support in portland?

9.best places to go shopping?

10. dangerous places to stay away from

11. is portland big on religion

that's all i could think of on the fly, please feel free to answer and if i post any move question i would greatly appreciate more answers from you all. Thank you!

Last edited by issie2215; 04-12-2014 at 08:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 07:50 AM

638 posts, read 1,178,307 times
Hi, issie2215--

I'll give your questions a shot. See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issie2215 View Post
i apologize for the bad grammar and punctuation in advance i am a African america gay male who lives in oklahoma one day a friend told me about portland so i started looking at everything i could find on blogs about portland and i liked what i found out so that's what brings me here i am getting the money together for my big move and i only have a 11 questions.

Yes, folks in Portland are generally friendly. They're not loud, slap you on the back friendly, but most people are kind to their fellow human beings here.

2. is portland Diverse?

Not really. 76% White, 7% Asian, 6.3% Black or African-American, 1% Native American, .5% Pacific Islander. (from 2010 census)

Yes, coming from Oklahoma. I put Tulsa into a cost of living calculator and people need to earn about 35% more in Portland to keep the same standard of living. If you make 35,000 a year in Tulsa, you would need to make about 47,000 a year here to maintain the same lifestyle.

It can be. It depends on what you are willing to do. Is it hard to find the perfect job? Yes. But there are jobs out there.

5. is there good pubic transportation systems? ( im mainly wondering about the city bus system)

Yes.

6. major public events?

Yes.

7. cool hangouts?

Yes.

I'm not gay, but from what I've seen and heard, Totally ok and Yes.

That varies but there are plenty of places. Things will cost more here than in Oklahoma. For instance, coming from Texas, food prices were a bit of a shock to me.

Not very many in Portland. I'll let other folks field this one.

You can find just about any type of place of worship you would like here, but short answer is no one is pushy about how or if you worship. You may have someone hand you a pamphlet but they are nice and not judgmental. My first day living in Tennessee, next door neighbors knocked on my door to ask what church I belong to and if I would go to church with them on Sunday. I'm 99% sure that will not happen here. People live and let live. More likely, someone will knock on your door and ask you to vote a certain way or sign a petition.

that's all i could think of on the fly, please feel free to answer and if i post any move question i would greatly appreciate more answers from you all. Thank you!
You seem sincere and I truly hope you find what you are looking for. Roommates would be a great idea to start out. Good luck, Issie!

Old 04-13-2014, 12:57 PM

159 posts, read 409,026 times
Quote:

2. is portland Diverse?

6. major public events?

7. cool hangouts?

1. People in Portland are ok. They're more reserved, most are friendly but they don't go out of their way to show it.

2. Nope. People who were born and raised in Oregon will tell you Portland is diverse but most never even traveled east of the Rockies where real diversity can be found. I'm a black guy from Chicago so Portland is not really diverse to me. Portland is mostly white. Hispanics and Asians make up the largest minority groups with a small community of blacks.

3. Yeah its kinda expensive. I'm paying $800 for a one bedroom and I live in outer SE Portland.

4. Yeah you can find a job here but it may not be exactly what you looking for but if you're planning on living here you need a gig to pay the bills.

5. Transportation is kinda slow to me but people here in Portland seem to like it.

6. I don't know of any major events but the festivals in the summertime are pretty cool.

7. Portland has great bars to hang out at and if you like the strip club scene you're going to be in heaven or hell based on who's judging you.

8. Being gay in Portland will not be a problem for you because you wont be alone. In fact people here support gay rights causes more than they do causes centered around race or ethnicity.

9. Clackamas Town Center, Pearl District. Most people will tell you to stay away from Lloyd Center but I never had any problems there.

10. Portland is pretty safe dude. 122nd around Powell, certain parts of N/NE and out towards Gresham are really the only hot spots other than that Portland is like Sesame Street no worries.

11. Not really.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:07 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,121 times
Are people still saying to stay away from Lloyd Center? I've lived here 14 years now and have never been told that. But, maybe I'm not hanging with the right "scared of everything but myself" crowd. Actually I think part of the problem is that some people have lived in the Portland metro for 10-30 years but haven't actually visited the areas in the last 10 years they're claiming are so "bad." There's nothing wrong with Lloyd Center.

Last edited by oldtintype; 04-13-2014 at 10:16 PM..

Old 04-14-2014, 10:08 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,772 times
Quote:

2. is portland Diverse?
6. major public events?
7. cool hangouts?
1) Somewhere in the middle
2) Compared to what? It's moderately diverse, though who you see depends on where you are. Southeast/82nd has higher representation in east Asian groups, westside (Intel) has a broad spectrum if east and south Asians, and African-Americans have been highly present in NoPo, though gentrification is making a lot of those neighborhoods increasingly white. Portland, Oregon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
3) For a big city, it's not that high, though still high compared to what a lot of industries pay
4) depends on your field, really.
5) Depends. Routes to the city center are pretty good, but parts of the periphery are underserved.
6) of course - question is are there any to your taste
7) This is the land of hipsters - everything cool is uncool, and vice versa.
8) Portland is pretty gay
9) hard to answer - depends on what you're buying and where you live
10) The highest crime areas here involve property theft and auto break-ins and public disturbance. Can't think of anywhere I'd fear for my life.
11) Everyone will say no, but it depends on where you live in the city. Get far enough east and there's a fair amount of not just religion, but evangelicals. In any case, if you're wanting to join a church, there's a wide swath to choose from, but if you're trying to avoid religion on the whole it won't be in your face most of the time.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:20 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,121 times
Speaking of religion, I was at the Keen garage in the Pearl yesterday and saw several Mennonite women in there buying sandals. It really stood out.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:19 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
Portland is maybe the most diverse city in Oregon.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:57 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Portland is maybe the most diverse city in Oregon.
A fairly safe pronouncement, though OR isn't exactly the most diverse state. One exception being that Oregon is 10th in Native American/Alaskan population, and the tribes are fairly active culturally.

Particularly for anyone coming from the east (13 of the top 14 states are in the west), that will probably be noticeable, though less so than in Alaska/NM/AZ.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:00 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
I don't know a lot of blacks who consider anywhere in the west diverse. Doesn't mean there aren't any, it just means I don't know any. But at the same time I don't know any who are not as happy here as they would be anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland