Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 10:26 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,624,108 times

Advertisements

It's tough to beat In-N-Out. There are no chains up here that are like that. Maybe Five Guys comes close, but burgers are a very personal thing, I've found, so I don't want to start a pee pee match about the superior burger joint.

Burgerville's hook is exactly what everyone is describing--the seasonal/fresh/local angle, and they do it well. Plus I like the rosemary chicken sandwich--it's very plain, but that's part of what I like about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 11:29 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,069,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
It's tough to beat In-N-Out. There are no chains up here that are like that. Maybe Five Guys comes close, but burgers are a very personal thing, I've found, so I don't want to start a pee pee match about the superior burger joint.

Burgerville's hook is exactly what everyone is describing--the seasonal/fresh/local angle, and they do it well. Plus I like the rosemary chicken sandwich--it's very plain, but that's part of what I like about it.
Well, that's why I said, "if you like In-N-Out a LOT", because I love in-n-out. From the people I have met that like in-n-out, they don't care for Burgerville burgers. I do like their hook and they do it well, no arguments there. But honestly, if that's the only thing that sells their food, that's kinda sad. There are lots of restaurants here that do the seasonal/fresh/local angle and taste great! I'd much rather pay for that.

But to the OP, you may as well try it. It's akin to going to SoCal and NOT trying in-n-out. Just be ready for a hefty bill for "fast food". I'm new here, so no real suggestions from me. I think everyone gave you lots to choose from.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:45 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Well, I don't eat beef. So Burgerville wins it for me by having turkey burgers, and the best damn fish & chips and fish sandwiches. In addition to all those extra goodies. The onion rings, the sweet potato fries, and the berry sundaes.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:49 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
If you like In-n-Out a LOT, do not bother with Burgerville for the burgers. Bleah. Go for the seasonal sides and shakes instead, yum. Granted, their chocolate milk shake tastes exactly like In-n-Out's, so maybe pass on that one.
It must be a regional thing because I think In-n-Out is on the mediocre side compared to Burgerville.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:32 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It must be a regional thing because I think In-n-Out is on the mediocre side compared to Burgerville.
I think they're firmly in the same camp as McDonalds.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:21 AM

892 posts, read 1,592,741 times
I like In-n-Out burgers, I always get them with grilled onions. Their fries can range from soggy to really good, depending on the fry cook and their shakes are solid but nothing to write home about. Burgerville's seasonal items are incredible - it's coming up on strawberry shake and asparagus time again and you have to strike while their available. I also like their fish but their burgers aren't all that and I wouldn't go again if I only had tried their burgers. Maybe they should be renamed Seasonalville.

As for what to do with two days in Portland while driving through, it depends on how much of the two days you actually have and what you like to do. I would most likely stay downtown or within walkable distance and then visit the Pearl district and downtown to hit up Powell's and some food carts. Maybe go up to the arboretum or rose test garden if you're into that kind of thing. If you go to Pittock Mansion (fees to tour house, outside is free) or Council Crest, you can get a nice view of the city.

Then, if you want to drive, you can head out to the coast - climb the tower at Astoria and see tide pools at Cannon Beach and head back. That's a fairly long day. Multnomah Falls and stopping at various waterfalls is scenic and less driving.

If you're into drinking various things, you could do a wine country tour (some driving) or visit wineries in Portland proper or there are distilled spirits places as well as a mess of breweries and cideries.

I would check to see if there are any festivals going on while you're in town. You may want to either go to them or avoid them. Some are larger than others.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:19 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,629,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I've eaten at In-n-Out when I visit relatives in southern CA and I don't see what's so exciting about it.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:20 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,618,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SETabor View Post
I also like their fish but their burgers aren't all that and I wouldn't go again if I only had tried their burgers. Maybe they should be renamed Seasonalville.
Selling hamburgers is a competitive market. Portland's 'In-n-Out' equivalent would really be 5 Guys and not Burgerville.

The crispy chicken sandwich with bacon is good as well as the fish. At $5.25 it's not cheap either, but then anywhere that sells a decent chicken sandwich you'll pay more. So it 'feels' less expensive in relation to comparable products.

But I agree the seasonal items are the primary draw. The berry lemonades (or shakes) in the summer are great, the rosemary fries, the asparagus, etc.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
I think they're firmly in the same camp as McDonalds.
Huh? Both places are so much better than McDonalds.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
Selling hamburgers is a competitive market. Portland's 'In-n-Out' equivalent would really be 5 Guys and not Burgerville.

The crispy chicken sandwich with bacon is good as well as the fish. At $5.25 it's not cheap either, but then anywhere that sells a decent chicken sandwich you'll pay more. So it 'feels' less expensive in relation to comparable products.

But I agree the seasonal items are the primary draw. The berry lemonades (or shakes) in the summer are great, the rosemary fries, the asparagus, etc.
5 Guys is a national chain from Virginia, Burgerville is a regional chain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland