Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2014, 03:35 AM

146 posts, read 300,346 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone on here has sent their kids to Wilson High in SW Portland. It gets a good Greatschools rating but then the majority of the comments are pretty negative. Was wondering if anyone on here could add their own thought. What does the school do well? What does it do badly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 11:26 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,631,183 times
Wilson's reputation is that it's a good school. Apart from Lincoln it's the only other PPS west side high school.
I've never heard any specific complaints about Wilson but I'd take Great Schools feedback with a grain of salt anyway.
I'm sure there's a Wilson Facebook page for parents or at least a PTA one. I'd look for it and read the postings.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:40 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,909,219 times
I gave heard from parents throughout Portland that Wilson us a great school. The Hillsdale neighborhood is beautiful so you should drive around and since most neighborhood kids go to Wilson, that says more to me than a website with a few reviews. Wilson has a website you can access through PPS and you can read what class offerings the school has, student clubs and PPS provides demographic info.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:34 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
While waiting at an Ainsworth school bus stop today parents were discussing the fact that west side schools are at capacity, that the District will need to adjust boundaries to assure that student needs are met. Basically all of the Lincoln enrollment area feeder schools are full up and some enrollment areas will need to be moved to the Wilson enrollment area. No one was hyper-ventilating.

West Sylvan middle school is swamped even though Skyline was made a K-8 (because of the amount of time it takes to transport them to Sylvan MS) a couple years ago.

Heck, I attended Lincoln as Wilson was under construction. Some of my freshman fellow students moved to Wilson and were none the worse for wear. In fact Wilson had more and better facilities than Lincoln.

Keep in mind the fact that demanding parents ***** a lot and often do not have agendas that effect the student body in general. That is not to say that there cannot be individual teachers and staff who are inadequate.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:46 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,631,183 times
Chapman principal sent out emails asking if any Chapman students wanted to transfer to Ainsworth, Skyline or Forest Park because Chapman is bursting at the seams. Looking forward to seeing the new boundary adjustments due out soon for the district. PSU has already completed the study apparently and by fall it will be out and become permanent for the 2015/2016 school year. The entire district is changing, not just west side.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:33 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
I was at Wallace Park yesterday with my grandchildren. One of their friends lives across the street from Chapman but is in Ainsworth's Spanish emersion program. There is huge demand for that program from Ainsworth's parents but the district doesn't have enough Spanish fluent teachers.

Chapman parents who belong to the MAC are likely to consider a move. A school bus stops at the north end of Vista, a decent walk to the MAC.

The problem with Skyline is that it is so remote however there is (or was as I haven't checked lately) a in the NW corner where attending Skyline would be practical. As a parent (OK, grandparent) I would be concerned about the fact that Skyline students stay there through the 8th grade, are they receiving a comparable education.... That school is small and there isn't a lot of land to expand it.

Old 05-03-2014, 04:26 PM

82 posts, read 146,286 times
My son will be going to Wilson in the fall. He is currently at Jackson Middle School. We live in the Arnold Creek area close to the Lake Oswego border and we checked out Lake Oswego HS as well. My son absolutely preferred Wilson (most of his friends and classmates are going there so that may have affected his decision). I have heard good things from parents at Jackson who have kids at Wilson now. They got a new principal a couple years ago and apparently things have improved under him.

The school facilities themselves seem to be showing their age but the programs are current. We talked to various staff members and were happy with what we heard.

We attended an open house and have also been following the school online. We get the newsletter and email updates about things that are happening there. We were impressed at the open house by the number and variety of courses (including AP courses). There are also many clubs to suit every interest. Wilson offers a great computer science program and internships in collaboration with many local companies.

My son is a very good student who wants to pursue a career in chemistry/engineering and he is happy with the opportunities at Wilson.

We don't have first hand experience yet but based on what we've learned about the school we are happy with our decision.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:51 AM

15 posts, read 15,365 times
I graduated from WHS 10 years ago

IIRC, programs were getting cut as time went on. It's a pretty average school, but if you want your kids to do well, they're going to have to show initiative (ECs, AP courses...etc). Benson might be a better school for them, they have lots of interesting programs but its geared towards STEM related stuff and STEM isn't exactly equivalent with employment these days...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: