Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 12:24 PM

2 posts, read 9,331 times

Advertisements

Hi there-

I'm currently living in San Jose, Ca. I've been here about 2 years now and I'm planning on moving out within the next year or so because it's too expensive to live here. I'm a social worker and to give you an idea I'm paying $1800 a month for a one bedroom apartment, and after all my bills are paid I'm not left with much. I've been trying to do some research on possible places to move and have been considering the Portland area.

My question is - what would you say average 1 bedroom apartments go for? My boyfriend and I would be looking to spend about $900 a month since we would probably have a pay cut moving there. We don't have to be in the city either, but would like the commute to be reasonable.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 01:00 PM

124 posts, read 149,531 times
You can find good places for 900 or less.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:39 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
The big issue for you will be employment. Portland State turns out MSWs by the boatload and no one wants to leave town.

Any chance you can find a job is San Jose where the employer has a Portland area office, then transfer? Much better plan.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:42 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,121 times
Actually PSU's program is kind of small. They only admit about 140 people per year and it's the only MSW program in Oregon.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:30 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
So what is keeping the profession at a relatively low income level?

Old 05-04-2014, 10:25 AM

124 posts, read 149,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Social workers dont get rich anywhere.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
It really depends on the specialty. When you get licensed as a LCSW you'll get paid a lot more. If you're working for a non-profit with just a MSW the pay is low but when you look at things like medical social work, VA jobs, and many others the pay can be fairly high.

Social work in general is not a high paying field but I'd say people are making $30-80K, just depends where and what. And pay is low everywhere, not just here.

The "real money" is to become an LCSW and go into private practice as a therapist. That's the highest paid option provided you're good at your job.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:13 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,068,200 times
Having just moved from CA, I'll say this much. Don't just look at rent costs. Gas is cheaper. Groceries the same. Electricity is high because typically everything is electric (no natural gas in most apartments - houses yes, apts not really). And they like to charge you by how hot/cold it is outside. Although rent CAN, but NOT always be cheaper, what's going to matter is your income.

I lived in SoCal. I was making a decent wage, but nothing great...compared to SoCal wages. My rent was $1500. You can find anything up here from $600-$2000+ for a 1 bedroom, just depends on where you live. I figured, if I could find a place for $900 I'd be saving sooooo much money. The problem? I lost 40% of my income. Not only is it lower due to COL, it's just low to begin with, so unless you're transferring and not losing 40%, you may be okay.

So when you look at salary calculators for COL, cut off another 10-15k easily and then maybe that's where you'll be at. Actually, the best way is to just look at government jobs online, since they show you wages, that you're qualified for, and assume that's what you'd get in the private sector....or maybe a tad bit more.

No clue why income here is so low. I think their COL has shot up too fast and wages haven't caught up. Will they ever, Oregonians?

Old 05-05-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Having just moved from CA, I'll say this much. Don't just look at rent costs. Gas is cheaper. Groceries the same. Electricity is high because typically everything is electric (no natural gas in most apartments - houses yes, apts not really). And they like to charge you by how hot/cold it is outside. Although rent CAN, but NOT always be cheaper, what's going to matter is your income.
They charge you by the amount you use...unless your apartment is charging you directly? I think electricity and heating costs really varies based on where you live and the age of the house. I pay next to nothing in a newer building--the most expensive I've ever paid for three people is $65. Average is about $30. BUT, I'm in a very efficient building. My last apartment ran between $65 and $110.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:42 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,068,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
They charge you by the amount you use...unless your apartment is charging you directly? I think electricity and heating costs really varies based on where you live and the age of the house. I pay next to nothing in a newer building--the most expensive I've ever paid for three people is $65. Average is about $30. BUT, I'm in a very efficient building. My last apartment ran between $65 and $110.
Oh, I understand that they charge you for what you use, however, the prices go up and down depending on the temperatures and how "extreme" they are from one day to another. I was watching my costs closely and I was amazed how prices would spike when a day would drop more than 10 degrees, and then of course my usage would go up.

I really wish I had your place. I can't wait to move out of my badly insulated place. My highest bill was $280.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: