Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 04:27 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
But most cities in the United States of America are not bicycle friendly. It is hard to compare one of the few cities that are, with the majority that are not.

How about comparing with other bicycle friendly cities?
When they do that Portland always comes up number 1 or 2.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:53 PM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,499,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Out of curiosity, what is the dress/cleaning routine for people in white collar professions when they bike to work? Do they just put all their clothes in some sort of wrinkle proof bag and shower/change at work? In Portland, seeing as how the summer lows are a non-humid upper 50s, I could maybe see going without a shower since you wouldn't sweat. However, in an east coast city, it's not out of the question for it to be muggy and upper 70s/low 80s in the morning.
It depends on dress code. If casual, or business-casual, no problem. You need a good, spacious bicycling backpack where you pack your clothes [lunch...etc.].
As far as showering: where there is a will, there is a way. Almost always you can find a place with a shower that is within walking distance to your work location.
For ex. if you work in downtown PDX, join 24 Hour Fitness. Even if you don't work out, you can always shower and change there.
A lot of companies in Portland area actually offer dedicated showers for bicyclist and people who workout at lunch.
If all else fails, there is the bathroom. You clean yourself with wet towel - it is almost as effective as shower.

I bicycle-commuted not only in Portland, but also in the hot and humid east coast (Philadelphia suburbs), and it worked the same way.
Keep in mind that early morning is usually the coolest part of the day - you will sweat the heaviest on your way back home.

Now, if you are unlucky enough to have to wear the suit and tie, well, again, when there is a will, there is a way.
I hear that people car-commute one day a week, when they bring the full costume (suit, shirts, etc) to the office. Then they bicycle commute the rest of the week with clothes waiting for them.

The successful bicycle commuting depends 90% on one factor: the route. Is it safe and pleasant enough? You don't need dedicated bike paths. Low traffic volume roads and streets are perfectly OK.
If so, the other aspects of the bicycle commute are easily solvable.

OTOH, if you have to commute on roads choke-full of speeding and angry drivers (ex. California, much of East Coast), forget it - it's not worth it.

Last edited by skiffrace; 05-09-2014 at 07:06 PM..

Old 05-09-2014, 09:04 PM

111 posts, read 171,568 times
I currently car commute a little less than 40 miles one way from just outside of NYC into suburban NJ. It is (not so slowly) sucking the life out of me.

My ultimate goal right now is to find a job in PDX that I can bike to. Portland's "bike-ability" is such a draw/selling point. I really believe that commuting is one of the most unhealthy things a person can do and that extreme measures should very often be taken to reduce commutes as much as possible. Such a waste of time and a source of stress that is in no way value-added.

I'll be jealous of you guys until I can figure out how to get myself setup out there!

Old 05-10-2014, 06:11 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,982,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiffrace View Post
It depends on dress code. If casual, or business-casual, no problem. You need a good, spacious bicycling backpack where you pack your clothes [lunch...etc.].
As far as showering: where there is a will, there is a way. Almost always you can find a place with a shower that is within walking distance to your work location.
For ex. if you work in downtown PDX, join 24 Hour Fitness. Even if you don't work out, you can always shower and change there.
A lot of companies in Portland area actually offer dedicated showers for bicyclist and people who workout at lunch.
If all else fails, there is the bathroom. You clean yourself with wet towel - it is almost as effective as shower.

I bicycle-commuted not only in Portland, but also in the hot and humid east coast (Philadelphia suburbs), and it worked the same way.
Keep in mind that early morning is usually the coolest part of the day - you will sweat the heaviest on your way back home.

Now, if you are unlucky enough to have to wear the suit and tie, well, again, when there is a will, there is a way.
I hear that people car-commute one day a week, when they bring the full costume (suit, shirts, etc) to the office. Then they bicycle commute the rest of the week with clothes waiting for them.

The successful bicycle commuting depends 90% on one factor: the route. Is it safe and pleasant enough? You don't need dedicated bike paths. Low traffic volume roads and streets are perfectly OK.
If so, the other aspects of the bicycle commute are easily solvable.

OTOH, if you have to commute on roads choke-full of speeding and angry drivers (ex. California, much of East Coast), forget it - it's not worth it.
Well-said! I prefer having rear baskets/panniers instead of wearing a backpack. It takes the strain off your back and prevents a lot of sweating.

I use these and they're awesome: Amazon.com : Bushwhacker Omaha - Bicycle Grocery Pannier Cycling Rack Basket Bike Rear Bag - Sold as Pair : Bike Panniers And Rack Trunks : Sports & Outdoors

Old 05-10-2014, 11:08 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostjay View Post
I currently car commute a little less than 40 miles one way from just outside of NYC into suburban NJ. It is (not so slowly) sucking the life out of me.

My ultimate goal right now is to find a job in PDX that I can bike to. Portland's "bike-ability" is such a draw/selling point. I really believe that commuting is one of the most unhealthy things a person can do and that extreme measures should very often be taken to reduce commutes as much as possible. Such a waste of time and a source of stress that is in no way value-added.

I'll be jealous of you guys until I can figure out how to get myself setup out there!
I don't think cyclist understand how much more carbon they inhale in the open air as compared to inside a closed vehicle. I am not sure it is all hat healthy.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:54 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
I don't think cyclist understand how much more carbon they inhale in the open air as compared to inside a closed vehicle. I am not sure it is all hat healthy.
How much carbon does one inhale in the open air compared to a closed in vehicle? I remember feeling much more healthy when commuting by bike and I rarely needed to commute in too much traffic when I use to live in Portland.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:52 AM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,499,201 times
Quote:
It goes back to the key issue in bicycle commuting - finding a good route.
It's true that a bicyclist will inhale a lot of poison if riding along masses of cars - that's why you must seek a lot-traffic route in order to have an effective and pleasant bike commute.
Staying on the subject - below is a post I once made in Seattle forum that summarizes bicycle-commuting in PNW;

Quote:
Here is what I learned from my 16 years of bicycle commuting in Portland, a city with climate very similar to Seattle

1. The statement "it always rains here" means the following: it may rain, or it just has rained. Wet stuff falling from the sky is actually not that common. And when it actually happens, it is not heavy, as others already said.

2. My "dealing with rain" strategy was as follows: I looked out the window when I was about to head out. If it rained heavily, I drove. Otherwise, I bicycled. In an average month I drove no more than 2 or 3 days. Obviously, sometime I got rained on halfway through my commute, but once you are outside, the rain does not bother you so much.

3. The length of the bike commute matters. You can deal with being wet for say, 30 or 40 minutes. More than that and it gets unpleasant, or you risk outright hypothermia.

4. Time of day: DO NOT bicycle commute when all those 3 factors are present: rain+darkness+heavy traffic. You are risking your life. I am not joking. Time your work day accordingly.

5. Equipment:
a) Waterproof, somewhat breathable (ex. Gore-Tex) jacket with hood. Regular lycra is OK for legs - they work hard and don't get cold easily.
b) Biggest, most protective fenders you can find, reaching almost all the way to the ground for both wheels. You get wet mostly from the wheel spray, not from the falling rain.
c) DISK BRAKES! Insist on them. Regular brakes wear out quickly, and often don't work on the steep Seattle or Portland hills.
d) Brightest lights you can find, front and back. They are not cheap, but absolutely necessary if you value your life.
e) Flat-proof tires. You will get flats far more often in wet weather (glass and such tend to stick to tires and does not release by the centrifugal force) Once you flat, fixing it is much more of a pain.
f) Follow-up from point e-all the equipment to fix a flat fast.

6. Route: absolutely essential - do whatever it takes to avoid roads with heavy car traffic. Even if it means you bike commute is substantially longer. Cycling for 45 minutes on quiet residential streets and bike paths is far more pleasant and safe than 20 minutes on busy thoroughfare.
Don't worry about the hills - you will become fit and strong, and will look forward to them.

7. Bicycle:
-Mountain bike is more practical than road bike, unless you really want to go 10% faster.
-Recumbent bikes (like the one in the picture above) are cute, but inefficient in the hills. They are best suited for flat routes where the wind blows hard, the opposite of the Seattle or Portland topology.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:09 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Quote:
The interior of a modern car is one of the most toxic environments that there is. Especially new cars. Carcinogenic volatiles outgas from the carpets, upholstery and the many, many components in the electronics... its no contest. The cyclist has it easy by comparison! When you are sitting in rush hour gridlock in a car do you think that because you are inside the car that you aren't breathing in plenty of sulfur dioxide, carbon monoxide and other not so wonderful things? In fact they are trapped inside the cabin for a longer time than for someone who is in free circulating air. To your point, however, none of us should tolerate the continued proliferation of internal combustion engines on this planet. They are killing all of us slowly. Its just that they are killing motorists faster.

H

Old 05-12-2014, 09:26 AM

1,167 posts, read 2,396,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
Portland has 10 times more people cycling to work than the average US city
I think its great. It can only help with air quality issues.

I DO, however, wish that all riders would learn that they have to follow the same traffic laws as automobiles.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:31 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Quote:
Here is what I learned from my 16 years of bicycle commuting in Portland, a city with climate very similar to Seattle

c) DISK BRAKES! Insist on them. Regular brakes wear out quickly, and often don't work on the steep Seattle or Portland hills.
I don't know... it you've been commuting for 16 years you must have spent some of them doing it without the protection of DISC BRAKES. The first bike that I own that had any was circa 2004. Were you always able to afford Gore-Tex? Add another 20 minutes to my commute, just so I can do it all on side streets?? Really? Did you get any push-back at all from the Seattle forum when you ...tried to enlighten them on the proper way to cycle commute? Trust me, if you didn't, its because they decided you weren't even worth the effort to debate. I'm being kind when I say that I don't think you have even one of your seven points accurate! Luckily, scads of Portland (Seattle?) Cyclist are doing their vehicular cycling commuter thing, more or less successfully, in several parallel iterations using a tried and true combination of oral tradition, folk wisdom and personal initiative.

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland