Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 08:39 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,242,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
If one gets behind a biker and they wont share the road, is it illegal for one to throw his/her car in neutral and rev the engine?
Do you also do that when you drive behind slower motorists? Sounds a bit rude.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:47 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,910,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Do you also do that when you drive behind slower motorists? Sounds a bit rude.
When I'm behind someone in the passing lane and they're going under the speed limit, I flash my brights. People should be apprised of when they're breaking the law. Also, I never said I revved my engine behind a biker.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
When I'm behind someone in the passing lane and they're going under the speed limit, I flash my brights. People should be apprised of when they're breaking the law. Also, I never said I revved my engine behind a biker.
Oh funny, when driving I like to slow down when people flash their lights at me. Good to know you do that. But what does this have to do with cycling?

Old 05-19-2014, 09:09 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,359,091 times
I am just glad you two are on opposite coasts.

For the OP, Portland is a bicycle town, but not always so bicycle friendly.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
I am just glad you two are on opposite coasts.

For the OP, Portland is a bicycle town, but not always so bicycle friendly.
Not for long, I will be back in Portland by the end of August.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:55 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,466,505 times
Quote:
If one gets behind a biker and they wont share the road, is it illegal for one to throw his/her car in neutral and rev the engine?

Maybe a small air compressor in the trunk and some JC Whitney train horns under the hood?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/kleinn-horn...FZJr7AodiksAvw

Nobody would expect that, especially coming from a small car.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:38 PM

95 posts, read 116,977 times
I agree that there are some poor bicyclists (just like auto drivers) out there, but I think the point that bicycles don't pay their fair share is not as clear cut as some make it seem. Bicyclists do pay taxes just because they are citizens like every one else, but it's fair at least to say that bicycling is subsidized in Portland, since there aren't direct user fees on bicyclists for the 1% (or whatever) of transportation funding that goes for bike lanes, etc. But there are some very good reasons for this:

(1) Bicycling actual alleviates car traffic on the main arterials. Just like with public transit, a person bicycling is one less person on the freeway, Sandy Blvd., Powell Blvd., or wherever people are commuting. Bicycling routes are designed to funnel bicyclists onto slower side streets where traffic is not supposed to be going fast in the first place, so it's a pretty well designed system.

(2) Bicycling reduces the need for parking spots. This is already a big issue in Portland, and is only growing tighter. You can probably fit 8 bicycles into the parking space that one car takes.

(3) Bicycling improves air quality - one less car on the road means less emissions, and healthier air for everyone.

And you also can go on to more esoteric issues - lower health care costs, reduced dependence on fossil fuels, etc.

Taxing and imposing licensing requirements on bicycles would probably reduce the number of bicyclists on the road to some extent, and thus put more cars (and traffic, parking competition, and pollution) out there.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:50 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,699,548 times
And, as these kind of threads often go, all the good information can be found in the first few pages. The continual back and forth bickering has made keeping this thread open useless. It is now closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland