Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 09:25 PM

70 posts, read 158,577 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

We are potentially buying a home just northeast of 52nd and Woodstock Blvd. Based off my research it seems like an area that is changing fast. Whether that is good or bad, I'm not sure. So.. does anybody have any positive/negative insight on the area?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 11:39 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times
From my limited experience, it's an up and coming area. I've lived near there in the past, but not right in the heart of Woodstock. But I really enjoyed the area.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:14 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,202 times
I lived in "the heart of Woodstock" for decades.
It has exploded in popularity the last ten years or so.
It used to be kind of a forgotten neigborhood, with Sellwood and Westmoreland overshadowing it before they got too expensive...
Eastmoreland and Reed college separate the above neighborhoods from Woodstock.

It is not a very "hip" neighborhood, but has become more of a trendy family neighborhood.
It used to be VERY blue collar, but those days are long gone.
It has really changed, a ton of young professionals with families moved in.

Expect to pay premium prices for houses there.

I really enjoyed living in Woodstock, but got fed up with Portland City politics during the Sam Adams years, and moved out of Portland into the country by Mollala.
My daughter and neice still live in Woodstock and I visit them almost every other day.

The specific area you are looking to buy in is a fairly decent neighborhood, but I would suggest googling "Portland Crimemapper" and seeing what is going on around the house you are interested in buying.
There have been some serious crimes in there over the last couple of years.

I personally don't think you can go wrong buying a house there.
I think those neighborhoods are going to be the next hot ones around Woodstock.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 05-27-2014 at 10:30 AM..

Old 05-27-2014, 10:17 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,772 times
I don't know the specific block (nor did you provide one), but I'd agree with Enrico. Depending on which block you're looking at, it's either gentrified or well along the way.

That's why you can see one of those crappy 'narrow-lot' homes going for $380k over there.

That said, it is a pretty nice area on the whole (despite some houses that from the street look like they need work), and if you work downtown I think it's worth serious consideration.

As you move back towards 72nd/205, the houses are even more beat up, and I can see being asked to plunk down significant money for a house you'll still need to put some money into sprucing up.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:29 AM

Great info. Thanks!

Yeah, I will be working in the Pearl district. Seems to be a fairly decent commute.

We actually stopped the Portland police patrolling the area and asked about crime in the neighborhood. They said it is mostly petty theft but to checkout Portland maps for more info. So crime in the area doesn't seem too bad. I hope.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:45 PM

In general Portland has lower crime overall - rates tend to be highest on major streets, particularly those that also serve as commercial areas. As pdxMIKE noted, that's a traditionally blue-collar family area.

Crime will pick up a bit as you move east of 60th, but it's really not bad at all until you move east toward 82nd or east/NE to Foster.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:09 AM

I drove around that area yesterday.

Went from Woodstock to Foster (north and south) and 72nd to 52nd (east and west).
It's a very interesting neighborhood.
The first thing I noticed is that there is no real traffic shortcut through there.
The streets are in a grid, but layed out so there is no real way an efficient shortcut can be made in either direction.
All the traffic seems to flow around the neighborhood on Woodstock, Harold, and 52nd, so it's relatively car quiet.
Nobody speeding down residential streets avioding traffic.
It is well located for access to the west side via Powell and the Ross Island bridge.

The houses are a good mix of new and old houses, with everything in between.
Most people are keeping up their properties.
Saw a lot of kids.

Harold street divides the neighborhoods north and south, but the two neighborhoods aren't the same.
North of Harold, the lots seem to be bigger, the houses seem to be bigger, and there is more new construction.
South of Harold, the lots and houses are smaller, but there doesn't seem to be as much new construction.
I didn't see a lot of ugly skinny tall rowhouses, but there were some.

All in all, it seems like a quiet decent area, although there isn't anything really special or unique about it.
It's really close to "downtown Woodstock" and close to the Mt Scott pool and Hometown Pizza.
On Woodstock, Mezza (Lebanese food - highly recommend) and Super Torte (Mexican food) and Bridge City Pizza (true Chicago Style) are available within easy walking distance assuming that you live "just northeast of 52nd and Woodstock Blvd".

Foster is also changing, with some interesting businesses.
I was surprised to see all the little russian shops scattered about on Foster.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 05-29-2014 at 10:57 AM..

Old 05-29-2014, 01:39 PM

I only get over there every few months, but I'd say that's in line with my experience.

The grid breaks down a bit as you move east towards the convergence of Foster/Woodstock/205, with the angles and the one-way traffic, etc.

There's too many stop signs to really gain an advantage by cutting through, and by and large the density over there is still low enough that there aren't too many snarls to try and get around anyway.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:51 PM

I just recently found out that three new businesses will be opening up soonish in downtown Woodstock - New Seasons, Grand Central Bakery, and Dick's Kitchen; all of them seem like welcomed additions.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:20 AM

I know the Radio Shack in the heart of "downtown Woodstock" has closed and is being remodeled.

Rumor has it that it may be a fresh fish shop/butcher shop going in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland