Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 12:29 PM

38 posts, read 48,311 times

Advertisements

Hi! We are moving from Reno, NV to the South Mt. Tabor area in about 2 weeks. Does anyone here have any recommendation for must visit business/restaurants in the area?

Also we will need a pediatrician and a General Doctor, Eye doctor, dentist, and orthodontist. Anyone have recommendations for those near that neighborhood?? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 01:00 PM

892 posts, read 1,592,898 times
For food, it depends on what you're looking for. There are a ton of restaurants on Division and more getting added. The start down around 30th or so but are moving east and you can find good variety up to 50th/52nd and slightly beyond (not much past 60th). There's food carts at 50th and Division and a great Ethiopian restaurant across the 50th from them. I occasionally enjoy the DQ across from Franklin High School and Cafe au Play always has a lot of kid activities. Rise or Shine coffee has author readings on Thursday but I think they've stopped for the summer.

For the doctor recommendations, see who is in your insurance pool and go from there. We go to Dr. Gebhardt for vision on 60th and Division and she's great. We used to go to Mt. Tabor Dental on 60th just north of Belmont but they're not in our network so we changed.

The Winco grocery store at 82nd and Powell should be opening this summer and a Green Zebra grocer is going in on Division at 50th or 52nd at some point.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:51 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,619,531 times
For medical care, in my experience it tends to end up hinging on your insurance, but you're not far from Providence (47th/Glisan) or Adventist hospitals (100th/Market), as well as any number of smaller clinics.

In regards to restaurants/shopping, there's really a wealth of options and it depends what you like. From South Tabor you're pretty close to Fubonn, and just in that complex there's several pretty good Asian places (plus the grocer), plus 82nd/Hawthorne/Woodstock/Montavilla/etc.

Really, Portland has an abundance of options and you'll be in a pretty good spot for hitting a decent chunk of them. My top 5 may not even be on your top 25 list. It's not a city where there's that one place you just HAVE to go, and ultimately a lot will just depend on what you favor.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:28 PM

Thanks so much you both have been super helpful. We are going to be at 60th and Division so it sounds like we would have a lot of options for Food/groceries and i will look into those doctors once we get there. I can't remember what provider my husband's new job uses so I will have to wait until we get the packet. We only had two days to search for a house so it was a super quick trip with not a lot of time to explore.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:51 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,619,531 times
That's a funky little intersection since 60 jogs, but it's not a bad spot, and while I'm not a coffee drinker, I find the coffee shop on that corner appealing.

Decent walk to Tabor park. Just don't pee in the reservoir, please, we've already had to drain it a couple times this year!

But yeah, only about 10 blocks west to hit a pretty good stretch of restaurants. I'd forgotten Bete-Lukas was right there.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:14 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
Some great restaurants. There's a cart pod at 50th:

à la carts Food Pavilion - Welcome

Woodsman Tavern is at 45th:

The Woodsman Tavern / The Woodsman Tavern

Down around 35th you're in Andy Ricker land, with Pok Pok, Whiskey Soda Lounge, and Sen Yai Noodles. And lots of other great restaurants, and more importantly, a Salt & Straw ice cream shop.

Pok Pok: Welcome
Salt & Straw - Fresh Made Ice Cream

Old 05-29-2014, 03:29 PM

Thank you for the links. Looking forward to checking these places out.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:36 PM

240 posts, read 483,248 times
Welcome to Mt. Tabor! I would like to highly recommend my dentist, Dr. Jacob Morrow, at Mt. Tabor Dental: http://mttabordental.com/. There are many options in the area, of course, but Mt. Tabor Family Medical Group is very good: Mt. Tabor Family Medical Group. There's good eye care at Eagle Eye Optical on SE Belmont: Eagle Eye Optical. Prescription eyewear. Eye Exams

I will go with others' recommendations regarding restaurants, as I am vegan and my go-to choices might not be your cup of tea. For groceries, New Seasons on Hawthorne, Fred Meyer and Safeway are always good.

Best wishes to you and your family!

Old 05-30-2014, 06:11 PM

53 posts, read 67,235 times
There's also the Kaiser clinic on 78th & Division, Kaiser is by far the most popular HMO around here but it sounds like you're more interested in a smaller private office. Food, I can recommend.

The stretch of 82nd between Division and Powell is the center of Portland's SE Asian community, which is mostly Vietnamese, Thai, and Cambodian. I *highly* recommend Fubonn Market if you are an adventurous cook, it's a SE Asian supermarket and the produce/seafood there is the best priced around.

You're also just a hop and a skip in the other direction from the amazing development going up on Division, you and your family will love living here. I grew up off 33rd & Division and while that neighborhood has changed dramatically (for the better, in some ways), Mt. Tabor has always been an idyllic family neighborhood.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:34 AM

Thank you. I love to cook all types of dishes and I especially love trying new ones. I think one of my first stops to fill the fridge at the house will have to be Fubonn.

We stressed over whether it was worth it to pay the extra $$ to be super close to my husbands new job or not. We finally decided it was. After the posts on here I feel like we made the right decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland