Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 04:32 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times

Advertisements

So do motor vehicle drivers who also pay through gasoline taxes. I for one am not happy with cyclists not kicking $ in. We need to license cyclists and their vehicles just as we do automobiles.

Anyone want to muster a recall of the Mayor and City Commissioners?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 04:40 PM

959 posts, read 1,215,196 times
This new tax is the brainchild of Commissioner Steve Novick. He Originally set it up as a tax and polled the population to gauge support in an election. I think the poll showed a little more than 50% support. Thinking that was too close, they changed it from a monthly tax to a monthly fee to avoid the vote.

It is also set to take effect July of next year so that if it gets challenged and put to a vote, they can work through the vote and still stay on their time frame.

Old 05-31-2014, 05:26 PM

I am willing to circulate petitions...

Old 05-31-2014, 08:21 PM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,499,660 times
Any political science or sociology PhDs? Here is a dissertation proposal: "The correlation between the homeownership rates and the approval rates of ballot tax measures". Has a study like this been ever done before?
Is it possible that renters are more likely to vote "yes" on tax measures than homeowners?

Perhaps so, due to their "what I can't see (i.e. directly pay for) can't hurt me".

The conventional wisdom claims "renters pay all the taxes indirectly through their rent".
As often, the conventional "wisdom" is wrong.

In a free rental market (as opposed to rent-controlled "markets") rents are determined by the ratio of supply vs. demand. If the rental market is weak, the property owners cannot pass-on the tax increases to the renters, they simply have to absorb it, thus reducing their profit (if they have any)
Example: Omaha or Lincoln NE. Those cities have astronomical tax rates, especially if calculated as % of their home value, yet rents there are rock-bottom.
On the other end of the spectrum, look at our neighbor Seattle. Low property taxes, yet rents skyrocketing due to strong demand.

Everybody should have a good personal insight on this issue because virtually everybody, even current homeowners, was a renter at some point in life.

It's easy to mark "Yes" on the "It's for the children!" ballot if you never have to write the check.
If it is several thousand dollars of your hard-earned money, you will think long and hard before checking that same "Yes" box.

When you buy a house, just like when you have children, your view of the world undergoes a dramatic change.

Last edited by skiffrace; 05-31-2014 at 08:47 PM..

Old 05-31-2014, 08:32 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,333,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
So do motor vehicle drivers who also pay through gasoline taxes. I for one am not happy with cyclists not kicking $ in. We need to license cyclists and their vehicles just as we do automobiles.

Anyone want to muster a recall of the Mayor and City Commissioners?
I agree with you.

In my city we only use gas tax for road repairs, but the state keeps taking a bigger share. We need a new Governor.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:25 AM

Yesterday we drove down Rosa Parks for the first time in years. Husband observed the new (at least to us) bike lanes and commented that they will spend their money on bike lanes but not on sidewalks and pedestrian safety improvements where people have been killed. Just exactly where are their priorities????

Old 06-01-2014, 10:39 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Yesterday we drove down Rosa Parks for the first time in years. Husband observed the new (at least to us) bike lanes and commented that they will spend their money on bike lanes but not on sidewalks and pedestrian safety improvements where people have been killed. Just exactly where are their priorities????
That is true, East Portland does get the short end of the stick. I support the adding of new bike lanes in the city, but the city should also be working to put sidewalks on every street in Portland.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:49 AM

Reflecting how Portland has incorporated areas of East Portland they were more interested in increasing the tax base but didn't make a commitment to bring those communities up to city standards such as sidewalks. Usually when a property is developed installing sidewalks is a condition of a building permit. If one looked at the age of the abutting properties odds are they pre-dated incorporation and weren't required to provide sidewalks. What burns me is that now property owners who did provide side walks will be paying for that neglect. Frankly I would be happy to see a fee assessed on properties with no sidewalk that is set aside for their sidewalk construction - maybe in some special account managed by the COUNTY (so that the City could not divert the funds).

Old 06-01-2014, 10:54 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Reflecting how Portland has incorporated areas of East Portland they were more interested in increasing the tax base but didn't make a commitment to bring those communities up to city standards such as sidewalks. Usually when a property is developed installing sidewalks is a condition of a building permit. If one looked at the age of the abutting properties odds are they pre-dated incorporation and weren't required to provide sidewalks. What burns me is that now property owners who did provide side walks will be paying for that neglect. Frankly I would be happy to see a fee assessed on properties with no sidewalk that is set aside for their sidewalk construction - maybe in some special account managed by the COUNTY (so that the City could not divert the funds).
Possibly, I have always wanted to see East Portland reach the same standards as the rest of Portland. It would be nice to see the city focus on that part of the city seeing it is seeing some of the most growth.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:21 AM

959 posts, read 1,215,196 times
If you google Portland Road Tax you'll find info about it. Note though how they talk about road repair and don't mention the details that first they will hire 25 new employees and that 40% goes to bike lanes. Those details were at the city council meeting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland