Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2014, 12:43 PM

51 posts, read 173,229 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to relocate to the Portland area and have done my FAFSA for Portland Community College (the Emergency Managment Systems degree). It was accepted and I got an email from the college saying I need to apply for admissions. The website only allows me to apply for admission for Summer 2014, and I won't be starting until Fall 2014. I tried to call the school a few minutes ago (around 11:30 PCT) and the answering machine said that admissions & student services is not taking any more calls at this time--what gives???

I'm no spring chicken at this, either--I'm an older returning to college student, but I'm puzzled. Am I missing something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 01:42 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
If I am not mistaken, you will have to wait until later in the summer before being able to enroll in the Fall.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:44 PM

51 posts, read 173,229 times
Thank you to the person who sent me a roundabout number for the Emergency Management Department! I was able to get through and spoke to a gentleman who was VERY helpful. Turns out I have to register as a Summer 2014 student to be able to get admission, but can start in Fall 2014 (and be able to use my FAFSA).

Old 06-04-2014, 01:58 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,618,677 times
I like a lot of the PCC staff I know, but for the volume of students they handle they're fairly lightly staffed.

During peak periods at least in recent years they've had to just batten down the hatches, by cutting student access to different offices so they can actually work through paperwork/applications etc. Otherwise they'd do nothing but respond to lines of students asking why the school hadn't processed their paperwork yet.

And right now they're busy processing both summer and fall. Once you're in the system you'll pick up the ebb and flow a bit.

That said, the message would have been more useful if it provided a hair more info and suggested when they would be re-open for accepting calls [edit - though if you did actually call right when the lines re-opened you'd be caught in a flood of a hundred other calls, so maybe that's why they don't].
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: