Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 04:36 PM

8 posts, read 10,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SETabor View Post
To say there's no racist morons in Revere is laughable. There's a reason everyone from the state is called a M***hole.

Never said Boston didn't have it's share of racism, reading comprehension is important my friend. I was talking less about the towny douche from Revere and more about the 300lbs trailer park trash that doesn't mind bath tubs on his lawn nor mind living next to tire warehouse/lumber plant from Tigard.

The guy from Revere will at least smell like old spice and most likely took a bath within 24 hours.

And lets be clear..............REVERE IS NOT BOSTON.

It like when you see someone on the plane and you ask where they are from the say Boston....then I say what part and they say Worchester. Revere, Dedham, Needham, Dover......Newton. None of which is Boston.

Now if you said Southy then yah you are probably right. lol

So yah Tigard is not Portland....thus im leaving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 08:11 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,279,304 times
There's a point in here. Portland is definitely more "pedestrian" and less "sophisticated" than Boston. But why wouldn't it be? Portland is a new city, only recently getting to population growth that even puts it in a debate with other mid-majors. It's wet behind the ears in many ways compared to some more established cities especially cities in the NE.

I'm an x North Easterner too and while some of the posts have been harsh, they're really just more direct and boisterous, but again....why wouldn't they be?.....you're talking a NEer. One from one of the most educated, established and historied major cities in the country with some of the most prestigious universities and medical facilities. As city-cities go, Portland and Boston couldn't be any more different.

"...unfiltered and to-the-point, often poignant but always unsentimental, not rude but refusing to infest the garden of honest human communication with the Victorian-seeded, American-sprouted weed of pointless politeness."

Last edited by kapetrich; 12-30-2014 at 08:21 PM..

Old 12-30-2014, 08:24 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,455,954 times
I have seen Portland described as a "Large" or even "Big" city in this forum and have been challenged for my dis-agreement of those statements, but am still sticking to my guns.

No matter what you may hear or believe, Portland IS a "Small City" with everything that goes along with that, and the above description as "wet behind the ears" is apt.

Please don't expect Portland to ever hold a candle to other cities like Seattle, Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, Chicago, Dallas, Phoenix, etc, etc.

While Portland may be around the 30th largest city in the US, that's not much of a claim.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:39 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,909,219 times
I would rather be here in Portland than Boston for many reasons. One, I would drive to Boston or take the Amtrak from NYC and in comparison...Boston always seemed like a tiny city in comparison. Two, outside of Boston there is not much of a surrounding metro and no other big cities in surrounding states. Three, Portland is on the West coast which is closer to my hometown, S.F., and my homestate, CA. Four,Portland is only three hours away from Seattle, which is a much more interesting city to me than Boston. Five, Portland is not that far away from Vancouver, B.C.. Six, Portland's drivers are annoying but nothing like Boston's drivers. Seven, I can't stand the Red Sox.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:44 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,909,219 times
I just met someone who moved here in the Summer and she landed a job in Portland downtown by networking for months.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:05 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
There's a point in here. Portland is definitely more "pedestrian" and less "sophisticated" than Boston. But why wouldn't it be? Portland is a new city, only recently getting to population growth that even puts it in a debate with other mid-majors. It's wet behind the ears in many ways compared to some more established cities especially cities in the NE.

I'm an x North Easterner too and while some of the posts have been harsh, they're really just more direct and boisterous, but again....why wouldn't they be?.....you're talking a NEer. One from one of the most educated, established and historied major cities in the country with some of the most prestigious universities and medical facilities. As city-cities go, Portland and Boston couldn't be any more different.

"...unfiltered and to-the-point, often poignant but always unsentimental, not rude but refusing to infest the garden of honest human communication with the Victorian-seeded, American-sprouted weed of pointless politeness."
Beyond almost being named Boston, Or, there really isn't much that is similar between Boston and Portland. Nor should this thread be a Portland vs Boston thread.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:59 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
I have seen Portland described as a "Large" or even "Big" city in this forum and have been challenged for my dis-agreement of those statements, but am still sticking to my guns.

No matter what you may hear or believe, Portland IS a "Small City" with everything that goes along with that, and the above description as "wet behind the ears" is apt.

Please don't expect Portland to ever hold a candle to other cities like Seattle, Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, Chicago, Dallas, Phoenix, etc, etc.

While Portland may be around the 30th largest city in the US, that's not much of a claim.
While I don't really disagree with your point, I can't help but be annoyed every time I read one of these "my arbitrary definition is objectively superior to your arbitrary definition" posts.

Portland isn't NY, but it's not Wichita either.

Old 12-31-2014, 04:11 PM

548 posts, read 816,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoast617 View Post
Yah urbanlife I don't think Portland has the volume of tech jobs I am looking for.
I don't like driving at all, I am from Boston...cars suck. I was hoping to get something downtown as far as work. Pick up a more expensive apartment and not have a car. But that is close to impossible when there are no jobs downtown...... it is kind of a scam. I read up on working downtown and living on the east and biking over to get to work. It was rated top 10 places to live with balance of work and life. Yah sounded to good to be true cause your ass will never work downtown. I am not going to live on the east and commute to Tigard and go over a bridge and sit in traffic for 45 mins. I will end jumping off one of those bridges for sure.

And in the Boston metro area, for every person with a good enough job to live the cool car-free life in Beacon Hill, Jamaica Plain, or Kendall Square, there are a whole bunch of people stuck in traffic on 128 for 40 minutes every day commuting from one generic suburb to an office park in another generic suburb -- unless they are one of the really lucky people who only found a job out in Marlborough or some godforsaken place.

You know, like someone who had read about how the South End was the coolest neighborhood in the universe, moved to MA from the opposite coast, and now was bitter because the first job they landed was in Chelmsford.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:11 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neguy99 View Post
And in the Boston metro area, for every person with a good enough job to live the cool car-free life in Beacon Hill, Jamaica Plain, or Kendall Square, there are a whole bunch of people stuck in traffic on 128 for 40 minutes every day commuting from one generic suburb to an office park in another generic suburb -- unless they are one of the really lucky people who only found a job out in Marlborough or some godforsaken place.

You know, like someone who had read about how the South End was the coolest neighborhood in the universe, moved to MA from the opposite coast, and now was bitter because the first job they landed was in Chelmsford.
Sounds like you nailed it.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:57 AM

305 posts, read 416,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
It's hard to gauge the job market in Portland. I feel like the employment stats aren't really telling the whole story. There seems to be a large contingent of underemployed "freelancers" who are not counted on the unemployment rolls but are only sort of half-scraping by. Anecdotally, everyone told me not to move there without a job offer, but every employer who I talked to told me they'd only be interested after I moved out there.

Exactly. Isnt that ridiculous? I hate how loop-minded this job market is on stuff like this(in the whole country). Like with me, no one will hire me cause I have no experience... how will I get experience, IF I DONT GET HIRED TO GET EXPERIENCE?! And they wonder why young guys like me are pouring into the Military like never before right now. This **** is depressing man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post

Good.
I live in one of those large, bustling cities with "lots to do" and Im doing ****ing terrible right now with all this sprawl, makes it hard for a normal guy to get on his feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland