Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 02:46 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,452,718 times

Advertisements

A little inconvenience or a big death.

What would you choose?

Have kids put that kind of stuff in their backpacks during the security scan.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:50 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
Let me see, should I avoid freeways because sometimes a truck jumps a barrier and hits a car head-on? I could easily get where I am going using local roads but it would be an inconvenience.

A lot more people are killed on our freeways than are killed by school shooters.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:56 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
They were secured. He broke in and stole the weapons. Not having them is not an option. Remember gun violence is only stopped with gun violence. Ownership and possession is an American right. If you don't want to live where that is a right there are countries that don't allow private ownership.

Just how would you stop an armed assailant?
Certainly, owning a weapon is a right. However, it's not a requirement. And, in my opinion, it's ridiculous to think that the constitutional right to bear arms includes the insane kind of weapons that NO ONE needs. Limiting the kinds of weapons that can be owned is not denying anyone their rights.

But if this boy was able to "break in" and steal the weapons, they weren't secure enough then, were they? Certainly it's an option to not have them in the first place. I've lived all my life without weapons, and never encountered an armed assailant. That's a silly argument. When was the last time you were attacked by an armed assailant? Anyone? Anyone?

Old 06-11-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Let me see, should I avoid freeways because sometimes a truck jumps a barrier and hits a car head-on? I could easily get where I am going using local roads but it would be an inconvenience.

A lot more people are killed on our freeways than are killed by school shooters.

Very true.
But with all due respect, we aren't talking about freeway driving.
I expect accidents to happen on the freeway, but I don't expect kids to come to school with an AR15 and open fire.

Are you saying that we shouldn't do anything at all because school shootings are relatively uncommon?

That just because somethings a little inconvenient, we should totally disregard it?

Maybe we should issue our kids body armor at the beginning of the school year and just be done with it?

Old 06-11-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
And, in my opinion, it's ridiculous to think that the constitutional right to bear arms includes the insane kind of weapons that NO ONE needs.
That's not an objective statement, but an emotional one.
Guns are guns. Some just shoot and look differently than others.

These are basically the same guns, they both shoot the same caliber and are both semi-automatic.
Which gun is more dangerous?
Which is more "insane"?
The top gun is the same as one of my old deer rifles.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 06-11-2014 at 03:47 PM..

Old 06-11-2014, 03:12 PM

Why are those the only two options we're talking about? Personally, I don't think any individual needs any semi-automatic weapon.

And who are you to tell me my opinions aren't objective? Did I specify what I thought qualified as "insane weapons"? I didn't, did I?

Old 06-11-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Personally, I don't think any individual needs any semi-automatic weapon.

And who are you to tell me my opinions aren't objective?

Well you can think and say and need whatever you want, but so can I.

Thank God America is a "free" country.

BTW, What does qualify as an "insane" weapon in your mind?
The most dangerous part of any gun is the person holding it.
That's been proven time and time again.

Thinking that the second amendment allows an American to freely buy and own any type of gun they want isn't exactly true.

By the time you end up truly "owning" a Title 2 gun, the government will know exactly who you are and everything about you (and most likely your family too).

The last I'll say on this subject. Starting a gun rights argument is the last thing this thread needs.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 06-11-2014 at 04:49 PM..

Old 06-11-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Well you can think and say and need whatever you want, but so can I.

Thank God America is a "free" country.

BTW, What does qualify as an "insane" weapon in your mind?
The most dangerous part of any gun is the person holding it.
That's been proven time and time again.
My definition? Anything that shoots more than one bullet with one pull on the trigger. I fail to see why any private citizen who feels they need a weapon, needs more than that.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:18 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
They were secured. He broke in and stole the weapons. Not having them is not an option. Remember gun violence is only stopped with gun violence. Ownership and possession is an American right. If you don't want to live where that is a right there are countries that don't allow private ownership.

Just how would you stop an armed assailant?
Isn't that the motto of street gangs? Gun violence doesn't stop gun violence because we still have gun violence in this country. 74 school shootings since Sandy Hook. Clearly guns haven't stopped gun violence.

If an assailant is armed, do you really think they are gonna care if you have a gun or not?

Old 06-11-2014, 11:37 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,333,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
But that's the conservative way, Mike - get rid of government "interference" and "let" everybody do everything themselves.

Are you going to pay the extra taxes required?

The Oregon Public has spoken and the answer is no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland