Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 08:58 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,914 times

Advertisements

That's just it. The only places that aren't being overrun by newcommers are small farm towns in the Great Plains. Everywhere its the same story. Californians are mentioned the most because it is the biggest state so there are lots of people who came from California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 07:51 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,996,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
That's just it. The only places that aren't being overrun by newcommers are small farm towns in the Great Plains. Everywhere its the same story. Californians are mentioned the most because it is the biggest state so there are lots of people who came from California.
I think Tesaje is right on the money. And that's part of what makes the great plains so unique.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:17 AM

42 posts, read 142,441 times
I really don't think that Angelinos are taking over Portland. Sure, there are many Californians that have discovered the beauty of the City and the area and lower cost of living. Having lived in So Cal for over 35 years has made me appreciate the wonders of the City I was born in. I bought a second home in Portland in '05 and try to get there every month. The rain REALLY doesn't bother me being that I have lived in the desert for 19 years. Sunshine 350 days a year can get boring! (Don't laugh me out of the forum!). When I left Portland in the early 70's the City was depressing with a decaying downtown, a polluted Willamette River, and a "don't Californicate Oregon" mentality. The City has progressed immensely and is approaching world class status. The "green" and liberal mentality, the wonderful transportation system, friendly people, planned growth and much more are very attractive things about the Portland area. But I don't believe that Angelinos are "invading" Portland! They may be moving there but are learning to adapt and appreciate all of what makes Portland so special.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:49 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,672,147 times
Default where do you vote?

do you vote in oregon or your other state? Sorry I hit an incorrect button and inserted myself in your message

Old 12-23-2007, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
do you vote in oregon or your other state? Sorry I hit an incorrect button and inserted myself in your message
I am not sure if you are replying to me but I vote in California since that is my primary residence for now. I do plan on making my permanent residence in Oregon once again in the not too distant future.

Old 12-24-2007, 06:56 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,672,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP2PDX View Post
I am not sure if you are replying to me but I vote in California since that is my primary residence for now. I do plan on making my permanent residence in Oregon once again in the not too distant future.
thanks for the reply, just wondered how many other 2nd home situations there are, lots of problems getting fundings passed for schools, if many others are absent owners, how is that impacting the voting on the state?

Old 12-25-2007, 12:05 AM

Point well taken, however we do pay property taxes on our second homes as well so the money is still going to the schools. In my primary residence location (Palm Springs) we have an huge 2nd home market with many non voting members of the populous. I am not sure that 2nd home owners would have the same concerns about schools as people in their primary residences. However, as stated before, what ever funding is voted in by the residents of an area gets paid for by all, including second home owners.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,141 times
I just signed up for this forum and see this topic everywhere. I have lived in Southern California my entire life, and will be moving to Portland in 4-5 months. I currently live in Santa Barbara, one of the most beautiful beach towns ever, and while I know I will miss it dearly I cannot wait to try something new.

Why do you think Californians are moving out of state? Because everyone from every other state in the country have been moving here for decades. As far as driving prices up, In Santa Barbara, you would be looking at $1200 + to rent a one bedroom apartment, and upwards of $1600-$1800 for a 2 bedroom. And there are no jobs here either because the fresh college grads are competing with much older experienced people who are willing to take the same low wage just to get to live here. Do we blame it on people moving here and stealing our jobs? No, because its happening everywhere. So yes, to me, Portland is relatively affordable and has more possibilities for someone in my situation who just wants to try something new while I've got nothing to lose!

I am very excited to move to portland but get very turned off when everyone talks so aggressively about Californians. I know I will be moving there with high hopes, and hope to appreciate the beauty and the fresh air and the change of pace that Portland is. I hope everyone that hates "trasplants" can appreciate why some people go there, and think about everyone you've known who has taken off to California at one time or another to pursue their interests.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:36 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,032,676 times
Linz: Try to remember that it's only a small, vocal minority of in-breds who ***** about Californians. If you really read these posts, most people don't care where you're from. And if you come across one of those in-breds when you're up here, tell him/her that you have a right to live where you want. Then tell them to go back to their tin trailer and guzzle their Schlitz.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:27 PM

129 posts, read 561,759 times
Bob
Schlitz? That's pretty highbrow for trailer trash...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland