Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2014, 07:24 AM

5 posts, read 4,775 times

Advertisements

Moving to Forest Grove from the Southeast in a few weeks and would like some info. Shoot me straight. What do I need to know? Pros, cons, things to look out for, things to enjoy,things to absolutely avoid, things to take advantage of, and the like are all examples of the types of details I'm looking for.

It will be just my little dog and me renting for the next year or so. I am pretty familar with Oregon in general having lived in the Northwest for a bit back, oh...20 years ago. Though I've visited the Portland metro area quite bit I've never lived in the area. Visiting is much different than actually living somewhere so I would appreciate it very much if someone(s) would help me out.

Thanks y'all!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 09:58 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,912,815 times
I live in FG. I actually picked it from the great reviews about the town here on CD (moved here from SW Portland). It's a nice little town. If you follow FG Fire & Rescue on Facebook you will know everything that's going on around here. Also the FG Free Classifieds is a nice page to follow (on fb) if you need to buy/sell/whatever anything.

Are you working in town? Really, there isn't too much to know. I find that it's very friendly, old fashioned and nice here. A real sense of community, people know their neighbors and take care of each other. It is the oldest town in Washington county and it has a lot of civic pride. As you probably know we have the university in town which adds a neat atmosphere to a fairly small town. It is not a party school, so it adds a lot of culture to the city. There is a lot of poverty on the east side of town, generally the closer to Cornelius you are, the more crime/poverty you will find. Even still, it's pretty tame. Our police beat is hilarious to read.

Safeway is the main grocery store in town and it's just OK. If you want anything "fancy" you will have to go out to hillsboro. We have a few locally popular restaurants, and IMO i think they are good. 1910 Main, Maggies Buns, Pac Thai, etc. Home values are going up and we seem to have (as everywhere, probably) numbers of Californians moving in and building new construction, etc, and are dealing with a few growing pains along the way. We also have a very vibrant historic preservation group and a few historic districts in town.

Being on the very edge of the metro area means we have easy access to farms and u-pick goodness: Unger Farms, Tom's Berry Patch, David Hill Winery, Montinore Vineyards, etc. A random example...last year one of the local farms just south of city limits posted on FB that one of their farmhands was injured and they needed help picking beets to donate to the food bank. They posted their address and said just come on out whenever, pick beets to fill the containers and take some home for yourself too as a thank you. We went and helped pick beets, and it was fun.

There are also lots of wineries around. Lots of bike trails - there are probably maps online of the trails around here. The Banks-Vernonia trail is popular (nearby) and the B-Street trail is decent (in town) as well as the Fernhill wetlands (in town). If you ever want any other info, feel free to page or message me

Old 07-06-2014, 01:07 PM

5 posts, read 4,775 times
Excellent info. Thanks so much christiner81 !!!

And you' re right about everything being on the FG Fire & Rescue FB page. Now I'm a little nervous about people advertising any missteps I might make online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland