Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2014, 08:48 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,158,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drum bro View Post
You would have to widen a freeway and build a new bridge over the Willamette river, plus going threw a hill.

I'd rather have light rail go down i5 and I205 then have that
Okay.....I am not sure I have any idea what you are talking about....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 09:01 AM

978 posts, read 1,087,983 times
to have the expressway or freeway that goes around downtown portland would be nice but that could wait until a earthquake hits

Old 07-24-2014, 10:01 AM

892 posts, read 1,592,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drum bro View Post
You would have to widen a freeway and build a new bridge over the Willamette river, plus going threw a hill.

I'd rather have light rail go down i5 and I205 then have that
I've always thought the west side bypass will somehow be a faster, straighter version of Skyline with it coming out of the west hills north of Portland. I don't know if the dream version has it's own Columbia crossing near Ridgefield, if it involves Sauvie Island ending up closer to Vancouver Lake, somehow crosses through St. John's and either hooks up with I-5 or I-405. And it's the through the west hills and connecting to something somewhere that's the real hurdle.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:44 AM

1,337 posts, read 3,277,078 times
This is a bit of a case study in the DC metro, but the overall point holds in many places: PlanItMetro » Eight-Car Trains on Metro is Equivalent to Widening I-66 in Arlington by Two Lanes

"Adding two extra cars to a six-car Metrorail train might not seem like much, but it is equivalent to widening I-66 through Arlington by two lanes. Plus, it’d likely be cheaper and faster for commuters, too."

Old 07-24-2014, 01:30 PM

121 posts, read 164,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
MAX going out to the suburbs has nothing to do with any need for a new west side highway. As of now I am not sure there is even any real political push on the west side for a highway.
Actually Portland has been able to force its anti-car/pro-MAX will on the suburbs through this government entity. Note that it only covers the OR side of the river, Vancouver and Clark County are not a part of it, if they were I'm sure they would be much further along in forcing MAX on Vancouver and would have vetoed most of the recent highway expansion projects on the WA side too.

As to the failed Interstate Bridge replacement project, Portland succeeded not only in forcing it to include light rail, they also successfully halved the number of highway lanes from the USDOT recommendation. In my opinion there is sufficient support for either an adequate replacement highway bridge or a 3rd bridge either west or east (the opponents are currently pursuing an eastside bridge between 192nd and Troutdale) on the WA side of the river.

Last edited by searching for prudence; 07-24-2014 at 01:48 PM..

Old 07-24-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by searching for prudence View Post
Actually Portland has been able to force its anti-car/pro-MAX will on the suburbs through this government entity. Note that it only covers the OR side of the river, Vancouver and Clark County are not a part of it, if they were I'm sure they would be much further along in forcing MAX on Vancouver and would have vetoed most of the recent highway expansion projects on the WA side too.
Actually that is Metro and Metro is the regional government for the region. It makes sense to wish to expand MAX because more rail means less demand on land consuming highways and highway expansions. Obviously that doesn't mean no highways should be built, as the outer parts of the city, especially the Westside grow, there is going to be a needed demand for a westside bypass to better connect those cities and towns.

But that doesnt change the fact that expanding MAX is a big priority for Metro when it comes to providing regional transportation alternatives to the entire region.

Quote:
As to the failed Interstate Bridge replacement project, Portland succeeded not only in forcing it to include light rail, they also successfully halved the number of highway lanes from the USDOT recommendation. In my opinion there is sufficient support for either an adequate replacement highway bridge or a 3rd bridge either west or east (the opponents are currently pursuing an eastside bridge between 192nd and Troutdale) on the WA side of the river.
That is a whole other issue, Portland should be able to push for light rail to be included with the new bridge because it would be designed to service Portland. Portland doesn't need the bridge as much as Vancouver does. Personally I think light rail should be included with that project and a toll should be tacked on it for anyone with a Washington plate to pay for because their state doesn't think it is as important of a project.

Old 07-24-2014, 03:18 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,248 times
Quote:

In general I don't think the number of lanes on the I-5 bridge is the problem, it's the constant merging of traffic entering/exiting. It's a problem even south of the bridge but northbound on the bridge it's the immediate succession of MLK/Denver then Hayden Isl ->14/Downtown ->SR500

A 3rd bridge on the east side probably doesn't do much to help the Interstate bridge, but it could certainly take a load off 205, and particularly the 84/205/airport/bridge area, which is a mess.

That said, on the west side, unless you're talking about a real west-side bypass for through traffic, you could still take a load off with a local access bridge to Hayden Isle or a bridge for local traffic crossing between Vanc/Pdx that doesn't really need to be on the Interstate at all). The key isn't lanes so much as streamlining the flow, and that means limiting the number of merges in that stretch, whether by rearranging the flow design (dedicated express lane?) or better, eliminating the need for the interstate bridge to double as a local access bridge. IMO.

[Edit - though arguably if you create a way for traffic to jump from 14 south of the river bypassing I-5 you might still have a logjam of traffic on the local roads]

Old 07-24-2014, 03:44 PM

I am actually surprised there isn't a local bridge from Portland to Hayden Island, that in itself would provide some needed traffic relief.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:49 PM

121 posts, read 164,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I am actually surprised there isn't a local bridge from Portland to Hayden Island, that in itself would provide some needed traffic relief.

You can go through the reams of officially released information from the Columbia River Crossing Project, but I believe the idea idea of having both an interchange on Hayden Island and local bridge access to it was firmly rebuked. The final plan called for eliminating the Hayden Island interchange, so it would have been access by a local bridge only.

The CRC project would only help one bottleneck, and arguably not the worst one on the I-5/405 corridor through Portland. They still need more lanes all the way through Portland and an alternative route, (even if it isn't the full freeway version of a Westside bypass). The powers that be, have been very successful in preventing adding freeway lanes and other highway improvement projects throughout the Portland area.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
You can go through the reams of officially released information from the Columbia River Crossing Project, but I believe the idea idea of having both an interchange on Hayden Island and local bridge access to it was firmly rebuked. The final plan called for eliminating the Hayden Island interchange, so it would have been access by a local bridge only.

The CRC project would only help one bottleneck, and arguably not the worst one on the I-5/405 corridor through Portland. They still need more lanes all the way through Portland and an alternative route, (even if it isn't the full freeway version of a Westside bypass). The powers that be, have been very successful in preventing adding freeway lanes and other highway improvement projects throughout the Portland area.
Adding freeway lanes doesn't fix the solutions. Often times when lanes are added, it does nothing to alleviate the traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland